Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Aug 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #271 of 290
I know this is an OLD post but I just purchased my Grado SR325e and found this thread... I will try the mod as soon as I get home tonight and let see how it goes.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #272 of 290
Tyll did some measurements later on (see Innerfidelity.com) and found out that it reduces the FR at 2 kHz. That brings down the mid-range a bit and something of the Grado's "forward" sound signature.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #273 of 290
Ok, I was able to put some tape on my 325e and... YES they now have more bass, it's not a big difference but I did notice it and I like how it sounds

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #274 of 290
Is it me or your ears get warmer after this mod???

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #275 of 290
Some pics

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #276 of 290
Interesting mods. I have been lurking and seriously thinking of getting a pair of the 325es. I like that this mod helps balance the sound out. I have some very soft leather pieces laying around I was thinking could work well, and look pretty good. 

I'm a bit off from jumping in, but this looks to be an easy one to try, once I do. Cheers.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #277 of 290
Hey all,

I tried this mod with my quarter mod inverse yellow senheiser pads.
At first I thought very different sound more hollow bass but what I also noticed was top end air and sound-stage was lost. Note I used black electrical tape.

Since removing the mod the air has returned beautiful upper end detail and upper mid bass is more punchier and has impact.
With the mod it somehow creates the cabinet sound but at the detriment of mids to upper frequencies. I don't think this mod suits the grado sound and actually found it makes the sound cheap and nasty.

I'll stick with my yellow senheiser inverse quarter mod with my 10 year old Grado SR80's. I also remove the circular label on the ear diaphragm and that has allowed more air into the mids and upper frequencies.
All in all a wonderful pair of headphones playing beautiful music with my Audioquest dragonfly and wasapi audio.

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #278 of 290
Ok I revisted this tape mod with my grado sr80's.
Initially with the electrical black tape it sounded different to the point of being worst.

Then I read this which details the pad modifications and its effects on sound frequency response.
Without the tape I was getting a lot of detail up top but something of a 2khz prominence which was detrimental to the music like over-bearing and limiting the soundstage as you heard the music for longer periods.

So I used this time scotch-tape to tape right around the circumference and put them back on.
I hear now more soundstage and neutral across the mid-range and tight and punchy bass exactly as his graphs show with the peak @2khz reduced.

That guy and his graphs should be commended for identifying certain flaws with grado's and enabling with a simple scotch tape fix to tame these frequency peak beasts.
Remember it must be clear scotch tape too as electrical black was no good for me.
I have also ordered some g-cushions to see how they affect the sound.

Good luck everyone :)

Edit: 2
Certainly my ears have fired up with these pads with the tapes around them so removed them for now :frowning2:
Ohh well still like the default reverse quarter mod on my senhd414. :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #280 of 290
How does the tape mod compare to the venting mod?

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #281 of 290
While I can't speak to that, the tape mod is reversible if you don't like it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #282 of 290
While I can't speak to that, the tape mod is reversible if you don't like it.

Exactly. That's actually why I'm asking. If there's no improvement in venting compared to tape mod, I'd rather tape mod as its reversible. But I've heard venting is really good, and is in fact done now to new "e" series models and been that for the higher models.

May 22, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #283 of 290
Tried this with some 3/4" electrical tape. Tighter bass, but diminished soundstage.

I fear I'm about to fall down the rabbit hole of finding the perfect tape...damn this forum.

May 24, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #284 of 290
Crazy, I'm tempted to give it a shot. Simple and reversible... my 225i's are my vinyl phones right now, but next time I have a hankering for some bass I'll a/b them with my m100's and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back