Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Feb 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #256 of 290
Not sure if anyone addressed this already.  I just got the 225i's, and found this thread reading up on mods.  Sounded good to me, went off and got some electrical tape but then read that it leaves a crappy residue if you decided to take them off.  If you want to avoid that, like I did, try this.  I cut one length of tape that would fit all the way around with about a half inch to spare, and then a second piece that would just reach around with no extra.  Carefully place the two sticky sides facing each other, and then wrap the strip around the pad using the extra half inch to fasten.  For the most part the tacky stuff is only touching tape and not the foam.  

For my part I can say I hear a bit more punch with the bass.  Not a ton, but you get that slight impact a bit more.  I like it.  Great idea.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #258 of 290
heres something for you guys to think about...

drop down to your stationary store, pick up some clear or coloured plastic files (the very think kind of slotting in notes).

measure the diameter of your pad and cut a strip of plastic out of the file.

tape the strip of plastic around your pad, and voila~!

it works. i did it. no picks cos after 2 years i removed it, to see the difference in colour of my pads. i might do it again on some new pads though.. was a significant improvement on the bass.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #259 of 290
Finally tried this mod on my Grado SR-225i headphones w/Mapletree EAR+ HD amp using plain black electrical tape one time around the circumference.

Pros: More bass impact. Especially noticeable with electronica, bass guitar, low piano notes, baritone voices, etc.

Cons: Loss of air/detail/clarity/spatial separation.

Overall interesting and worth giving a try, but I did not find the tradeoff to be worth it for this particular headphone. Grados are all about the top end sparkle.

May 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #260 of 290
I know this is an ancient thread with too much posts to back read. :) if this is a repeat post, please pardon me.
I read in one of the posts that the tape mod was not a worthy sacrifice and reverted to the inverted bowls mod despite it being uncomfortable.

I'm have an SR80i(came with comfies). i Did the reversed quarter mod on it, but was not very satisfied. I bought a pair of bowls and inverted them, very good sound but it was very itchy and unfortable. just an hour ago, i decided to ruin my comfies by fitting them around the inverted bowls. 

This is how they it looks now:

How it sounds?   A little more punchy bass than the inverted bowls plus the comfort of the comfies :)  

May 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #262 of 290
wow. has it been that long? hehe.
Its amazing how tinkering you can be when you only have a Grado.

Here's how the SR80i looks a year after:

Mods:
1. blu-tak[ed] driver
2. replace back grill
3. removed front cloth
4. felt lined back chamber[from furniture footing pads]
5. Comfies glued to the pleather pads for the purpose of attaching the pads to the driver assembly
6. Monoprice headphone pleather pads.

Result: Tight bass, tamed highs,less forward [aggressive mids] and soundstage like you can't believe its a Grado Prestige

May 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #263 of 290
I'm trying a slightly different approach to the tape mob, I purchased some rubber dip coating for tool handles, I used a small brush to apply it to the edges, it has been soaking in , so I will apply a few extra coats once it has dried and see how it sounds. This is a permanent mod to the pads, but I think this is close to what Tyll was talking about. After the 1st coat they looked pretty much normal, so it's a stealth mod if it works, and since it might take multiple coats, some tuning could be done my applying just the right amount until a pretty solid seal is formed.

May 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #265 of 290
Been listening to the modded stock pads and one unexpected benefit has been revealed, my main complaint was the comfort, the phones would directly touch a small part of my ear, just outside of the ear canal, and after a few hours it would feel raw. The modded pads are a bit stiffer from the rubber in the edge, now they don't completely compress on my ear, just sitting slightly off my ears, so no rude pressure to cause a hot spot. The bass is improved, enough that recordings have a more balanced feel with more authority in the lower registers. I have also removed the SR325i buttons on the outside screens, it seems to give a bit smoother high end with a bit less of the Grado bite, a more relaxed top end, but only just perceivable to my ears. The rubber has contracted the outer diameter of the pads, giving the outside edge a bit of a concave shape. Ill include pics to illustrate.

May 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #266 of 290
I applied one more coat, you can see some unevenness, with some foam showing through the rubber, its drying as I type this. The product cures very quickly, so wait times between testing is less than an hour. Would be sort of funny, if I used them to soon and had permanent Grado ear muffs, talk about a good seal !

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #268 of 290
I cut up flash card paper and taped it around the bowls and it improved the bass extension. But is more convenient than the tape mod because the flash cards slip on and off. I think they are slightly more airy than just tape since the flash cards are a more porous material.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the (small) increase in bass extension was not worth how stupid they looked. It was worth a shot. :p

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #269 of 290
Just tried this mod. I do notice an increase in warmth and bass impact. Although I wouldn't really call it a basshead mod. Heck, I'm conflicted to the decision of removing them or keeping the tape on. They sound noticeably different. And I only have one pair of bowls. Decisions decisions 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I actually prefer them without the mod. The bass (with the tape fully covering the circumference) can get a bit too loose for a grado. Might just try experimenting with half covered soon.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #270 of 290
  Just tried this mod. I do notice an increase in warmth and bass impact. Although I wouldn't really call it a basshead mod. Heck, I'm conflicted to the decision of removing them or keeping the tape on. They sound noticeably different. And I only have one pair of bowls. Decisions decisions 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I actually prefer them without the mod. The bass (with the tape fully covering the circumference) can get a bit too loose for a grado. Might just try experimenting with half covered soon.

I noticed this as well. The bass went from punchy to boomy and the overall sound did get warmer. I also noticed that some of the higher end and detail was rounded off some. I like hear the slap of the pedal on a bass drum not just the bass drum and these tend to mask that some from what I've experienced. Although I could try punching some holes through the tape to get a good mix of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back