Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #16,546 of 62,437
Used my L2P on a train today and that solidified my decision to return them. The isolation is nearly nonexistent with even the best fitting tips. Buying comply foam tips might fix it slightly, but can't fix how shallow the earbuds insert due to the size of the plastic housing.

The background hiss is intolerable when in quiet environments. I supposedly have the 2nd hardware revision. (Received direct from Anker this past week)

It's unfortunate because the sound is fantastic, and would probably be even better if I could get proper sealing tips. I'm now quite content sticking with my $30 Bomaker Sifi after testing the L2P and Shanling MTW100BA.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #16,548 of 62,437
After some time with the APP with the white mesh removed from the rubber sleeves, I find the sound to be clearer, especially cymbals and hi hats, which used to be dark and subdued, is now more defined and present. The biggest change I observed is the sound stage is now more holographic and airy. With the mesh, the buds sounded pretty congested and music stayed was pretty much confined in each bud. Without the mesh, there was an instance where I thought I had turned on transparency mode but it was in fact music coming from the APP. Sound is able to punch through the single layer wire mesh now instead of being trapped behind 2 layers of mesh (the wire mesh on the buds and the white cloth mesh on the sleeves).

Downside might be poorer dirt and moisture resistance? I'm not sure if that's the purpose of the white mesh.
You're brave. I can't bring myself to alter it. I just polish them with a cotton ball.

Seriously though, I'm really liking Metal on the APP (Iron Maiden, KISS, Ozzy, Dio, etc.).

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #16,549 of 62,437
After some time with the APP with the white mesh removed from the rubber sleeves, I find the sound to be clearer, especially cymbals and hi hats, which used to be dark and subdued, is now more defined and present. The biggest change I observed is the sound stage is now more holographic and airy. With the mesh, the buds sounded pretty congested and music stayed was pretty much confined in each bud. Without the mesh, there was an instance where I thought I had turned on transparency mode but it was in fact music coming from the APP. Sound is able to punch through the single layer wire mesh now instead of being trapped behind 2 layers of mesh (the wire mesh on the buds and the white cloth mesh on the sleeves).

Downside might be poorer dirt and moisture resistance? I'm not sure if that's the purpose of the white mesh.

Next time I have a chance to get a spare pair of tips, I might give this 'hack' a shot :wink:

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #16,550 of 62,437
You're brave. I can't bring myself to alter it. I just polish them with a cotton ball.

Seriously though, I'm really liking Metal on the APP (Iron Maiden, KISS, Ozzy, Dio, etc.).
I listen to Slipknot on them, the cymbals and hi hats shine through with the mesh removed when they barely made an impression with the mesh on. IMO, the biggest change is the soundstage, the music seems to revolve around my head with the mesh removed.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #16,551 of 62,437
A better comparison would be the bomaker, MW07, Tevi and the Anbes 359. They still have rolled off sub-bass. but with the bass eq on, I turn them up much louder without hurting my ears and the clarity is great!

The L2p.. well there's something about the refinement of the L2p that just tickles my ears and you can tell there's high quality drivers in it. but the BA/DD has a totally different sound, the L2p is thinner in the mids IMO. I still love it and my fav. setting is currently Sig. Sound, but loud so you can hear the highs and mids come through the bass. The T1x has a more narrow sound stage for sure. but the mids much thicker. I listen to a lot of metal and when things get gnarly the t1x doesn't have the separation anbes or the L2pro have (soundstage). I'm using the L2p medium tips, short throw on the L2p's and the longer throw on the Fiil's. I just tested them vs. my anbes 359's and I think the FIIL's may in fact sound better depending on the song and the tips. Feels like heresy :astonished::stuck_out_tongue:

With the L2p tips they are tighter than the 359's, the highs are crisper and the bass is low, clean, punchy and controlled. However when I switch to my JVC spiral dots, the 359's sound better, you can really hear that sound stage spread out and I don't think the spiral dots complement the already well tuned highs in the T1x. Post rock/Alternative where there is less chaos, it's the exact opposite, but switching the T1x to the Spiral Dots, sounded excellent. All I know is this is a ridiculously good TWS for $40. Someone with the Tevi and the Bomaker needs to do an A/B test. If the Fiil has the sound stage the 359's did, the would be a clear winner imo, depending on the song. the 359's mids are a bit more bumped can tell if it's the mid/mids or high/mids etcThe T1x has better highs and the fact there's a cool app with a ton of customization's really makes this one of the best out there right now in the price range. On another note, What M&D no app? Another quick impression of the T1x. with the bass EQ on, because of the highish crossover it's almost like it wants to go down, but can't and in certain situations it gets a bit boomy. If you haven't listened to the same songs hundreds of times like I have when I test these damn TWS' than you may not notice it, but it can muddy the low end at certain frequencies. Now, would someone with a real knack for reviewing buy these things already an do a proper review? Where's @Bartig at when you need him?

this was awesome thank you! Just ordered them, will do a side by side w the Tevis.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #16,553 of 62,437
Anyone experience these issues with the Sabbat E12 Ultra or any other QCC3020 device?
- Duplicate listings on Bluetooth for the left and right buds. I find all the claims of "true mono mode" quite misleading since it's actually only playing one side, rather than a true mono downmix. I'm wondering if these two quirks are true for all QCC3020 TWS. Unfortunately since I'm using an Exynos Note 9 I can't test out Qualcomm TWS Plus.
- Sometimes the volume control doesn't seem to work on my phone. It might be linked to using the left or right bud as the master...

Also, they have some new marbled colours for the E12. I had seen a Taiwanese YouTube tech channel showing them but now they're more widely available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000423266730.html

A few more TWS:
Dyplay TWS - AptX + Type-C charging, 7 hours playback (35 hours with the 720mAh case). I'm awaiting their over-ear Urban Traveller 2 which has some positive reviews.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000169735059.html
Alien Secret TWS QCC 010 - Has AptX, USB-C and Qi charging for under 30$.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000295552833.html

Also, if you purchase the Jabra 75t on Amazon.ca now they are 204$, but they won't be shipped until December 14. Found it rather disappointing Jabra wasn't putting them on sale this year, and the sale prices for the 65t were the same as last yera.

EDIT: Amazon.ca took off the listing. Maybe it was just too early, or maybe there was some exclusivity deal with Best Buy.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #16,554 of 62,437
A1FD74D4-B0C8-472D-B91B-B022F96C63FB.png
A1FD74D4-B0C8-472D-B91B-B022F96C63FB.png
Should I rest, I wonder?

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #16,556 of 62,437

Well, that’s as good of an endorsement as I’ll ever need, so looks like I’ll have to purchase these again and actually open them this time!

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #16,558 of 62,437
Used my L2P on a train today and that solidified my decision to return them. The isolation is nearly nonexistent with even the best fitting tips. Buying comply foam tips might fix it slightly, but can't fix how shallow the earbuds insert due to the size of the plastic housing.

The background hiss is intolerable when in quiet environments. I supposedly have the 2nd hardware revision. (Received direct from Anker this past week)

It's unfortunate because the sound is fantastic, and would probably be even better if I could get proper sealing tips. I'm now quite content sticking with my $30 Bomaker Sifi after testing the L2P and Shanling MTW100BA.
FYI, a third revision of L2P, supposedly fixing the hiss issue, will be out in about a week, according to Anker. They told me I can return mine to them and they'll send out the updated version.

For me though, the hiss isn't as big of an issue as fit. I get ear fatigue after 30 minutes or so with medium wings. And the small wings make them fall out of my ears. I also feel like they still have too much treble for my tastes, even when using the Treble Reducer curve.

I will most likely be returning them and looking for something else.

How does the Bomaker Sifi compare to L2P in terms of sound quality and comfort?

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #16,559 of 62,437
FYI, a third revision of L2P, supposedly fixing the hiss issue, will be out in about a week, according to Anker. They told me I can return mine to them and they'll send out the updated version.

How does the Bomaker Sifi compare to L2P in terms of sound quality and comfort?

They claimed the second revision fixed the hiss, not sure I want to roll the dice on the same story. Like you, I also have fit issues, mine more related to lack of isolation and seal.

Out of the box, the Bomaker has much more subdued highs with boomy bass. They respond well to EQing without distortion though and can get a similar sound to the L2P, with a boomier, less punchy bass response and less soundstage and instrument separation. Isolation is much quieter and comfort great as long as deep insertion doesn't bother you. Along with its IPX7 rating, tiny pocketable case, and seamless single earbud switching I'm surprised it's only $30.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back