Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 12, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #15,391 of 62,423
Just received my Shanling MTW100 today. My first TWS as I want to use them for workout or walking during winter. Surprised with the clarity and soundstage as they are pretty good for the price I am paying. Definitely will take years for them to match very good wired IEM but I can see good prospect in them being on par in the future. Don't really care about sound quality over convenience that much when getting older...

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #15,395 of 62,423
Actually what you described is what I avoid in all of my phones and speakers, I can’t stand them at all. Can you give me some songs where those are more prominent? I haven’t tried stock tips but looks like CP360 thick silicon dampens the sound of MW07 to me.

Was a bit harsh with cymbals and such probably a bit over emphasized somehow in Tool "The Patient". Trying CP360 now, seems similar, maybe tiny bit less harsh. It's definitely a more accurate sound than I get from Shanling MTW100 and usually more enjoyable than Shanling also, but some songs like this one it can over do some of the high frequency realm and make them harsh. Almost suspect it's not straight tuning and something with a DSP to get the open sound these have not working well with that song and making it harsh.

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #15,397 of 62,423
I had a similar reaction to the sound of the MW07 Go as you did with the MW07+. I didn't think it was overly bright but also not what I would call mid-forward. The highs were more emphasized than I was used to coming from more warmer sounding IEMs (which I enjoy but others may find "boring"). While listening to some songs, I did wish M&D had included an app with an EQ. I did think the SQ was excellent however and was (and still am) after a different sound signature than what I have in my Senn MTWs to complement them. Probably just differences in taste and styles of music.

Yeah, I like them in many ways. More premium overall and more comfortable than many and sound real good. And even physical button UI with mode on right and volume up/down on left is good. My big issue is that at $300 it needs all of that AND control app to try and calm the highs a bit, killer noise cancelling and adjustable ambient modes for me to pay I think. I'd probably spend $300 for it over the $250 Sen MTW though as those just don't fit me comfortably.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #15,400 of 62,423
Either different batches have different tunings for people aren't perceiving the differences. Coolhere UFO had awful driver matching and a bright tuning, while BE30 Air had a flat tuning but again poor driver matching (this time more mids and treble on the left). I'm wondering if any Aliexpress seller has released the AptX version yet.

I'm looking for another AptX + USB-C + Wireless charging combo (latter is preferable but optional), but preferably one with more mids and treble detail than the Sabbat E12 Ultra, which I found reasonable except for that poor driver matching. I was set to get Wavefun Xpods 3T until I read some comments saying the originals were muddy or "flat". Same with the Whizzer B6 being said to have more bass emphasis.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #15,401 of 62,423
Either different batches have different tunings for people aren't perceiving the differences. Coolhere UFO had awful driver matching and a bright tuning, while BE30 Air had a flat tuning but again poor driver matching (this time more mids and treble on the left). I'm wondering if any Aliexpress seller has released the AptX version yet.

I'm looking for another AptX + USB-C + Wireless charging combo (latter is preferable but optional), but preferably one with more mids and treble detail than the Sabbat E12 Ultra, which I found reasonable except for that poor driver matching. I was set to get Wavefun Xpods 3T until I read some comments saying the originals were muddy or "flat". Same with the Whizzer B6 being said to have more bass emphasis.

My ear holes are just different enough I can't really gauge driver matching! haha. Use medium sized tips in left and large in right with lots of them just to get it close. Others I can use large in both and it still matches OK, but not perfect. Haha.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #15,402 of 62,423
Was a bit harsh with cymbals and such probably a bit over emphasized somehow in Tool "The Patient". Trying CP360 now, seems similar, maybe tiny bit less harsh. It's definitely a more accurate sound than I get from Shanling MTW100 and usually more enjoyable than Shanling also, but some songs like this one it can over do some of the high frequency realm and make them harsh. Almost suspect it's not straight tuning and something with a DSP to get the open sound these have not working well with that song and making it harsh.
I’m hearing “The Patient” now, the cymbals don’t sound harsh to me at all, they sound a bit dampened to me and not bothering much. Weird.

Anyway, I will compare to L2P when they arrive.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #15,403 of 62,423
I’m hearing “The Patient” now, the cymbals don’t sound harsh to me at all, they sound a bit dampened to me and not bothering much. Weird.

Anyway, I will compare to L2P when they arrive.

Haha. Yeah, we all have different senses/sensitivities. It sounds mostly proper, but I am somewhat with Flossy Carter in that they don't get super loud and even though the rest of the tracks I listen to at full volume don't seem harsh, but when there is a built up thing with lots of cymbals like that it gets harsh for me even though the rest isn't too loud. I can turn down a few notches and it's fine and no longer harsh...but sort of recesses the rest more than I would prefer. Although this aspect seems to make like Hotel California seem much more open and overall preferable on the MW07+ as it somehow doesn't become harsh there and can be played cranked with less harshness. I can listen, it's just not comfortable and then when I reduce volume I find some of the other spectrum of the sound gets recessed too much. I think the Shanling is somewhat less accurate with things sounding less detailed and won't even get as loud, but seemingly somewhat more balanced at this lower max volume so more comfortable. I'd still say overall the MW07+ has a better sound...it's just closer to what I get from open back cans...while the Shanling you still know you have IEMs making the sound...even though they are a bit more comfortable and not obviously sitting in your ears. The MW07+ are the most comfortable of the Sony/Senn/MD group I purchased to demo though by far....just the Shanling are more comforable yet.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #15,405 of 62,423
If you have youtube music try the tube amp emulation feature under the EQ settings. Masks that harshness and makes the sound more mellow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back