Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 7, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #211 of 63,219
I have to agree about the Airpods - I've a number of bluetooth headphones and I think the Airpods definitely come out on top when it comes to sound quality and connection (no dropouts). I'm using them with my LG V20. The only real issue I have with them is the lack of remote controls - although this really isn't a problem when I'm wearing my smartwatch as I have full control from there.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #212 of 63,219
I've been reading this thread for a while, it's been a really helpful discussion so I joined up to add my thoughts... I couldn't agree more with the Jaybird runs. Awful highs! An irritating crispiness, hard to tell if it's compression or distortion, but there's no way to EQ it out. I don't know why there's a consensus that these sound amazing, unless perhaps they did prior to a recent firmware update. Connection was 100% reliable but they had to go back, couldn't put up with that.

I bought the Jaybirds, Jabra Elites and Airpods to compare. There's no doubt which has the best sound quality - it's the Airpods, by a mile. I expected to hate these, but of the three, they're the best in every respect. They're more open-sounding, better separation, sound less compressed (as if they're streaming a higher bitrate), bass is great when fitted right. They stayed in fine on an 8km run. Only problem is I feel like an idiot wearing them! Can't get over that design, so I'm sticking with the Jabra elites until Apple release black ones. The Jabras have much smoother, albeit less pronounced highs than the Jaybird Runs, overall a rounded, warm sound, no connection issues, all controls are on the buds which is great for running. Certainly nothing mediocre about their sound, next to the fingernails-on-a-chalkboard highs of the Jaybirds! But they do plug up your whole ear, it's hard to forget you're wearing them which will annoy some. That's my two cents on three fully wireless models.

Thanks for your overview. It’s really helps. To be honest, I’m surprised that you say the AirPods have the best sound, considering the reviews that have been posted on them. Or maybe the others just aren’t very good.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #214 of 63,219
Thanks for your overview. It’s really helps. To be honest, I’m surprised that you say the AirPods have the best sound, considering the reviews that have been posted on them. Or maybe the others just aren’t very good.

I'm not saying Airpods are amazing-sounding by any stretch, but of those three I tried, they absolutely sound the best. I was surprised too, best of a decidedly-average bunch!

I'm sure the Beoplay E8 do blow them all out of the water! I was just buying and testing 3 pairs all around $150 on Black Friday, the E8s were twice the price. The Bose Soundsport stick out too much for me, as did the Sonys, just personal preference.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #215 of 63,219
Ha ING recently purchased the Sennheiser HD598 I'm surprised at the similarities in the sound character between them and the Airpods. One thing I would definitely recommend to anyone who has Airpods us to try out a set of foamies on them. It improves the bass, and the reduces some of their 'brightness' and allows for a much better fit.

I must admit I was really quite doubtful about the Airpods but I'm really impressed with them overall.

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #217 of 63,219
i got the samsung gear iconx 2018 and they sound really great, i wonder if this is the best wireless iem out there without wires as the iconx 2018 really made curious if there are better sounding ones, so far i am really impressed

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #220 of 63,219
i can vouch for samsung gear iconx 2018 that its amazing, but its my first wireless iem so I am now really curious which is the best of them all

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #221 of 63,219
Guys trust and believe the Samsung iconx 2018 is the best all around, I have tried many truewireless and I am happy with these. I don't even use my Jay bird x3 anymore I just keep them as back up.

Good sound
Good battery life
Great fit
Great touch controls
Fantastic BT connection
I only wish the charging case would charge more times, but its ok anyway.
I wish they had an eq in the app. Hopefully they can add one in the future, Samsung is good for keeping apps and firmware up to date with new features.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #222 of 63,219
The only negatives I’ve heard so far is the sound doesn’t sync with YouTube videos and the cost is too high. £200+ in UK. When you talk about sound, how do they compare to the truly wireless from Sony & Bose?

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #223 of 63,219
Agreed. Would really like a direct compare on sq to the bose because the bose sq is superb. Gear iconx 2017 did not sound great so maybe they improved the 2018?

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #224 of 63,219
i have and had many totl iems, man this iconx 2018 is simply amazing, i really am now a believer in wireless iems, and I use them more than my other iems now. this speaks volumes

i really wonder if all other brands are as good or better than iconx 2018, as this wireless iem stuff is getting really interesting and worth investing in, as this is a hassle free iem and finally getting rid of cables and daps

I really hope big names like 64audio, Noble, empire ears will look into this wireless iem tech

I am sure iems with cables soon will become history

i am using my iconx with samsung s8 plus and no eq what so ever as the sound signature is amazing, all i used is sound alive to make an imprint of my hearing which is a really amazing tech especially with iems as getting the correct sound print to suit your ears in my opinion should be available in every source whether a dap or a phone

i love the sound stage and instrument separation and coherency of bass, mids and treble in icon x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back