Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 24, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #181 of 62,454
Yeah, a proper seal is very important for me because the trains can get very loud during my commute. Learned to not be nitpicky with the sounds for commute/training headphones over the year, actually okay with most as long as it does not sound like total garbage. Guess I can rule out the Bose since I was initially reluctant to get them due to the price. The Jabra actually cost the same as the new IconX due to Black Friday. What do you think I should get, since there's no price difference now? For watching videos, dis you notice any audio delay/lagg? That would be a bummer of there is, as mentioned above, I watch a lot videos too.
But them both and return the ones you like the least. You mentioned jaybird run too. Reviews suggest they have fixed their connectivity issues. Might be worth a shot. I like jaybird and their sq may be better than Samsung and Jabra.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #182 of 62,454
But them both and return the ones you like the least. You mentioned jaybird run too. Reviews suggest they have fixed their connectivity issues. Might be worth a shot. I like jaybird and their sq may be better than Samsung and Jabra.

I'll do just that, since I'm going to be heading into Best Buy later today.

You are right about the Jaybird. After a quick Google search they did update the firmware, and reviews on that started to pop up the last few days. I'll have to consider hard on the Jaybird. Sadly, there's no promotion going on for them, and you can only use the right ear for single pod usage. Probably wait for them to go on sale if I don't like both the IconX and Jabra's.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #183 of 62,454
If anyone is looking for some e8s I'm selling mine. I absolutely love the sq but for some reason they don't fit me properly. Pm me if interested.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #184 of 62,454
I'll do just that, since I'm going to be heading into Best Buy later today.

You are right about the Jaybird. After a quick Google search they did update the firmware, and reviews on that started to pop up the last few days. I'll have to consider hard on the Jaybird. Sadly, there's no promotion going on for them, and you can only use the right ear for single pod usage. Probably wait for them to go on sale if I don't like both the IconX and Jabra's.
So how'd it go?

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #187 of 62,454
Got both my Jabra Elite Sport and Samsung Gear IconX 2018. Only briefly tested then out to make sure they work, nothing in detail from me yet.

Right out of the box, the Gear IconX was just much more comfortable and straight forward to insert into my ears. The Elite Sport require one to insert the earphone at an angle, then twist it to lock it in place. It wasn't that comfortable for me during the 10-15 minutes that I was playing around with it. I can see how the Jabra might be more secure than the Samsung due to it's shape and retention system.

In terms of sound quality, the Gear IconX does sound better, but nothing definitive yet because I haven't really listen to much music, watch enough videos, and burn them in. Though, the Bass is definitely stronger and treble has more detail. Sound stage is wider too.

Only used the IconX for voice call so far. The other party said that it's very clear. Background noise was also picked up.

That's about it from me for now.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #189 of 62,454
I have to agree, the jabra didn't fit me either, and I also agree about the iconx 2018 sound quality and phone call quality, its really good. I really believe these are the best on the market now.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #190 of 62,454
Good afternoon everyone - I'm really glad I found this place and this thread as these are the exact same questions I've been wrestling with! I, too, am in the market for a BT IEM. The primary purpose would be for commuting, running outside, and work-out at the gym. After much research I've narrowed it down to a 5 options, but they all have their downsides;

1. Jabra Elite Sport: mediocre SQ, big in the ear and can get uncomfortable
2. Jaybird Run: possible connectivity issues (not sure if this has been totally rectified)
3. Bose Soundsport Free: Big (like really big), and no noise isolation, meaning gym or commuting could be a hassle
4. B&O Beoplay E8: Possibly not sweat resistant, debatable SQ?
5. Bragi The Dash Pro: Expensive...apparently the SQ can be anything from 'the best' to 'the worst' depending on who you ask. I find this one the hardest to find out anything about...does anyone have any insight into the 'Dash Pro' iteration?

I can't say that I'm a 'learned' audiophile, but I do have a keen ear and love my music (mostly rock and classical) and find that poor speakers/headphones/ear buds can totally ruin my listening experience. Maybe I'm just picky.

Cheers and thanks from the frozen North!

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #191 of 62,454
Good afternoon everyone - I'm really glad I found this place and this thread as these are the exact same questions I've been wrestling with! I, too, am in the market for a BT IEM. The primary purpose would be for commuting, running outside, and work-out at the gym. After much research I've narrowed it down to a 5 options, but they all have their downsides;

1. Jabra Elite Sport: mediocre SQ, big in the ear and can get uncomfortable
2. Jaybird Run: possible connectivity issues (not sure if this has been totally rectified)
3. Bose Soundsport Free: Big (like really big), and no noise isolation, meaning gym or commuting could be a hassle
4. B&O Beoplay E8: Possibly not sweat resistant, debatable SQ?
5. Bragi The Dash Pro: Expensive...apparently the SQ can be anything from 'the best' to 'the worst' depending on who you ask. I find this one the hardest to find out anything about...does anyone have any insight into the 'Dash Pro' iteration?

I can't say that I'm a 'learned' audiophile, but I do have a keen ear and love my music (mostly rock and classical) and find that poor speakers/headphones/ear buds can totally ruin my listening experience. Maybe I'm just picky.

Cheers and thanks from the frozen North!

The E8 should be sweat and splash resistent but not water proof. SQ to me is perfectly acceptable for the use and environment I’m uding it in but (apart from different sound sig) not at the level of my wired Jays qJay V2. Since doing the fw upgrade a couple of weeks ago I’ve had virtually no left channel drop outs. I love the gesture interface rather than tiny fiddely buttond

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #192 of 62,454
Well, took a leap of faith on some Jaybird Runs, updated the firmware immediately, and so far really impressed. Very comfortable, secure, and most importantly not a single drop out on the commute today, even in areas that usually trouble my dependable Bluetooth sets. That was walking though - true test will be during a long run later, will report back with how they fare.

UPDATE #1: Just got back from a run through the woods near home, and not a single drop out from start to finish.

Will see if they cope as well during a city run tomorrow. If they do I'm going to be absolutely delighted with these.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #193 of 62,454
Well, so my conclusion to this thread as the OP is that it is too early, and no we aren't there yet. Reading reviews of the Zolo Libertys, people are already reporting consistent connectivity issues with the left bud, so unless the Liberty+'s BT5 upgrade significantly improves that, it looks like they're not going to perform consistently well. The best hope seems to be the BeoPlay E8s, but frankly the price is too rich for me and reports of dropouts still make me uncomfortable.

So today I've decided to give up on BT wire-free IEMs for at least another year or two, and have instead taken the plunge on a PlusSound BT cable, taking advantage of the last day of their Black Friday sale. This means that I can keep my Senn IE80s (which I love) and their custom sleeves (which I also love) and have comfort, excellent SQ and isolation, but hopefully with the convenience of BlueTooth. Just have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive, but once they get here I'll write up my thoughts on their performance etc.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #194 of 62,454
Thanks for your feedback on the Jaybirds. I was initially excited about these when they were first talked about and then the Disappointment regarding the dropouts. However, it seems that the new firmware has fixed it. I have two requests. Can you upload a photo of your ear with a Jaybird or a link to a Picture? Also, have you tested with watching youtube or other videos to see if there's a delay?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #195 of 62,454
The same - I was so disappointed to see all the initial reviews, but so far whatever the firmware update did it really seems to have done the trick as far as music goes. I briefly had the Beo E8s and found them ususable for running with left bud drop outs. Not the case here so far whatsoever.

That said - videos still suffer noticeable lag. That doesn't bother me as I use these purely for music and running, but if that's a big use case for you then it's a deal breaker until a further update hopefully addresses the problem. Which given I didn't think a firmware update could so radically fix Bluetooth connection issues, that it was hardware related, a future fix doesn't seem so unlikely now.

I can take some pics tomorrow if you like. If you Google image search them though there's a fair amount of in-use photos, which are pretty accurate. I will say they're pretty discreet, and very comfortable, causing none of the fatigue I suffered from the bigger Jabra Elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back