Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #10,681 of 62,452
Hi, I've just returned a pair of Cowin KY02, because the lid was loose. I liked the sound a lot, the soundstage was enjoyable for me, but it was just a little bit too bassy for my taste. I'm thinking if buying them again or buying the Back Bay Duet 50 (I like more the design). I've read some comments in this thread, but wanted to know after some time what's the main impression of the Duets for you guys. Also, which ones would you recommend? (I know the Mpow are good, but I couldn't find them in my country).

Thanks for your help!
I have been using the Duet 50's for quite some time now and they have proven to check all my boxes: Small size/great fit, AptX, 9 hour play, and rock-solid connection. Tonality and overall tuning is reminiscent of a good over-ear set of cans. Support and customer service is US-based.

I currently have 3 sets of TWS phones, the Jabra elite active 65t, Duet 50 and Mavin Air-X. I enjoy all 3 for different reasons and would be hard-pressed to pick an all-around favorite. I will say that in all 3, I have had to use tips other than those supplied with the phones. Tips and correct seal is essential for optimum performance!

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #10,682 of 62,452
I have been using the Duet 50's for quite some time now and they have proven to check all my boxes: Small size/great fit, AptX, 9 hour play, and rock-solid connection. Tonality and overall tuning is reminiscent of a good over-ear set of cans. Support and customer service is US-based.

I currently have 3 sets of TWS phones, the Jabra elite active 65t, Duet 50 and Mavin Air-X. I enjoy all 3 for different reasons and would be hard-pressed to pick an all-around favorite. I will say that in all 3, I have had to use tips other than those supplied with the phones. Tips and correct seal is essential for optimum performance!

Thanks for your response! I've just bought them, but I'll have to wait 10 days for them to arrive (which is like 7 months in real life). What kind of tips are you using with the Duets?

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #10,683 of 62,452
Thanks for your response! I've just bought them, but I'll have to wait 10 days for them to arrive (which is like 7 months in real life). What kind of tips are you using with the Duets?

I use the UE900 green core (L). These are shallow fit and just cover the ear canal rather than insert into it. They are very soft silicon and extremely comfortable. I use them for nearly all of my IEM's. (These tips are also available in other sizes)

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #10,684 of 62,452
And the UFO has landed.

pKyX4ah.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #10,685 of 62,452

HAhahaha so you have all of them?
Why do you hate your ears?

That said after commenting I saw that the OTHER side is round, so... probably better.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #10,686 of 62,452
And the UFO has landed.

pKyX4ah.jpg

WAIT, wasn't you who said the Sony was endgame and wouldn't need to look anywhere else?
How do they compare to the Sony?

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #10,689 of 62,452
This is an addiction! :)

The Sony is still better, better timbre, better resolution. The Anbes are more compact though.
Would be willing to compare the UFO(Not Anbes 359 SQ quality) to the Kissral R18?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #10,690 of 62,452
Soul Electronics ST-XS2
Similar form factor to the MPOW T5, except it has removable silicon sleeves (with and without ear hooks). No aptX, but does have AAC, USB-C, Fast Charge, Ambient Mode, IPX7, and 5 hours playtime (20 hours more in case). They are well built with good fabrication. Largest ear tips were a bit small for me, so I replaced them with some Sony L ear tips. Good overall comfort and great for the gym. Controls are a bit different, in that there is no Vol control and no track reverse. However, the controls are duplicated on each bud (play/pause, ambient, track forward), which I assume is because they are geared for active users that may only have 1 hand free at any given time. While I would have preferred Vol control and track reverse, I'm OK with the control scheme because I'll likely primarily use them at the gym. Calls semed to work well. I was reported as sounding loud and clear (in a quiet office). I have not tested in a loud environment or in the car, etc.

As far as sound, they sound really good. They have a nice sub-bass, but it's a subtle accentuation and adds some nice texture. Bass is solid, punchy, and not messy. Vocals sit right there in the mix and are not recessed. Highs are a bit rolled off (similar to Sony), which I happen to like (I'm not a fan of super treble forward or "neutral" signatures). Overall, they have the same form factor as the MPOW T5, and while they sound a bit different, I would place them on the same level. Definitely recommend.

Master & Dynamic MW07
I was able to squeeze out a total playtime of 3 hours, 16 mins before they just died and about 2 hours and 40 mins or so before the low battery warning. So far, this is the best I've experienced on any of the MW07s I've had. The Matte Black and Steel Blue had horrible battery life. Low battery at like 1 hours 30 mins or something. Just pathetic. The Tortoiseshell was better, but it looks like the new colors may have definitely improved upon the battery life, either via firmware or new batter supplier. Still not the best for calls.

IMG_2283.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #10,691 of 62,452
Any recommendations for TWS IEMs that would allow for me to hear ambient noise?

I plan to use them when I go on rides on my road bike. Also would like to use them at work so hoping the call quality is solid.

IPX7 would be ideal. I prefer a warm, not so bright sound signature. Has to be comfortable, but I know that can be subjective.

I'm aware of the soul electronics st-xs2 and that they have a transparent mode. Any other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back