Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #10,711 of 62,503
Thanks for your input.

I guess I should downgrade my SQ expectations for an IPX7 rated TWS IEM at this point

Would you know of any other solid options that offer ambient sound passthrough like these or the new Sony wf-1000xm3, but with an IPX rating?
I enjoy the Soul, so I would recommend them for gym use, especially if you want IPX7. The MPOW T5 is also another great choice.

If you're OK spending more...

The B&O E8 is "sweat resistant", but I couldn't find an IP rating. They have a newer E8 Motion, which basically says the same thing, but I can tell you the E8 is in that 2nd tier of top-level sounding TWS'. Soundwise, I'd put the MW07 on top by themselves, but it's not a battery champ or something you'd really want to wear to the gym (they're sooo sex-ay). I'd place the E8, RHA TrueConnect (IPX5, no ambient mode), and Momentum True Wireless (IPX4) in that 2nd top-level.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #10,712 of 62,503
I enjoy the Soul, so I would recommend them for gym use, especially if you want IPX7. The MPOW T5 is also another great choice.

If you're OK spending more...

The B&O E8 is "sweat resistant", but I couldn't find an IP rating. They have a newer E8 Motion, which basically says the same thing, but I can tell you the E8 is in that 2nd tier of top-level sounding TWS'. Soundwise, I'd put the MW07 on top by themselves, but it's not a battery champ or something you'd really want to wear to the gym (they're sooo sex-ay). I'd place the E8, RHA TrueConnect (IPX5, no ambient mode), and Momentum True Wireless (IPX4) in that 2nd top-level.

Holy crap those E8 Motion's are gorgeous and so tempting...

Think I'm in over my head though. For now I'll just stick with my over ears for my higher end audio fix - casual portable listening sessions for my Meze 66 Classics and sit down sessions for my Hifiman Ananda's.

The T5 you mentioned won't work since they don't have ambient noise passthrough.

Just surprised that nothing else is available sub-$150 with an IPX and ambient noise passthrough besides the Soul's. Oh well - thank you nonetheless.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #10,713 of 62,503
Holy **** those E8 Motion's are gorgeous and so tempting...

Think I'm in over my head though. For now I'll just stick with my over ears for my higher end audio fix - casual portable listening sessions for my Meze 66 Classics and sit down sessions for my Hifiman Ananda's.

The T5 you mentioned won't work since they don't have ambient noise passthrough.

Just surprised that nothing else is available sub-$150 with an IPX and ambient noise passthrough besides the Soul's. Oh well - thank you nonetheless.

There's these, but I couldn't find a single review outside Amazon.

The Galaxy Buds are IPX2 rated. Not as protected as some other options, but shouldn't have any problems with sweat from exercising.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #10,714 of 62,503
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #10,715 of 62,503
I can't get the kissral r18 to test. But from what I'm hearing from the UFO, the sound quality should be close or same to the Anbes 359 - great soundstage, prominent mids and highs and tight bass.
Sound like the 359. I can't wait for your impressions. I've been waiting for you to get them for a long while. You lucked out to get a good pair.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #10,716 of 62,503
Woot, got my Wavefun XPods3!

Going to see how they compare to everything else on my shelf :D

First impression: that case is tiny compared to others!
And here I thought you were out of the game. Looking forward to comparisons to the MPOW and 359.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #10,717 of 62,503
And here I thought you were out of the game. Looking forward to comparisons to the MPOW and 359.

I was out.... And then they pulled me back in!!!!!
Not really, just got an email from AliExpress Freebies program :k701smile::ksc75smile::o2smile:

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #10,718 of 62,503
Any recommendations for TWS IEMs that would allow for me to hear ambient noise?

I plan to use them when I go on rides on my road bike. Also would like to use them at work so hoping the call quality is solid.

IPX7 would be ideal. I prefer a warm, not so bright sound signature. Has to be comfortable, but I know that can be subjective.

I'm aware of the soul electronics st-xs2 and that they have a transparent mode. Any other options?

Have you looked at the Jabra Active Elite 65t? I may have missed something since I am still catching up on all the posts today. They are only IPX56 but I would think they would be sufficient for cycling. I was looking for wireless buds to use for cycling as well and came across those ($150 at Costco). They have Hearthrough, which I believe is their version of Ambient Mode. I have not tried them myself but the regular 65t seems well regarded.

I couldn't resist a 30% off offer (in store scratchoff promo) from Harman and picked up a pair of JBL Reflect Flow (IPX7) yesterday. The ambient mode isn't great though compared to the MTW and you would really need to crank the volume to hear the music after factoring in wind noise which leads me to believe I will end up riding with just one ear and ambient mode off (Reflect Flows lower the music volume too much in ambient mode). I think ambient mode is great in concept but with the wind noise, not practical. Sound is decent and what I expected from JBL, V shaped, good bass which don't muddy the mids and well balanced but the mids seemed a bit thin to me (not a fan of the stock tips too). So you know where I am coming from, I spent the last decade mostly listening to my Shure SE530 (broken), SE535 and SE425, and still use the last two today. I also thought the MTWs had too much bass for my taste (but with those, I can at least EQ). The sound signature of the Reflect Flow isn't really my thing but I don't mind for workouts (more concerned about waterproof and convenience).

Without an app to EQ and only SBC, I don't think they are worth the money. However, for the $105 I paid, I will probably still keep them for cycling and as a backup for when the MTW battery dies on me since these are IPX7 and supposed to have a 10 hour battery life (30 hrs including case). I also like having ambient mode so I can hear the announcements on the train and subway during my commute.

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #10,719 of 62,503
I was out.... And then they pulled me back in!!!!!
Not really, just got an email from AliExpress Freebies program :k701smile::ksc75smile::o2smile:
Freebies program. Holy crap. Now I wanna join that program.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #10,720 of 62,503
Freebies program. Holy crap. Now I wanna join that program.

Yeah go for it! Based on my calculations it should take something like 10 years to win something... But then I won after playing for a couple months, so there you go... Lol

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #10,722 of 62,503
Yeah go for it! Based on my calculations it should take something like 10 years to win something... But then I won after playing for a couple months, so there you go... Lol

CONGRATS!!! WHat did you get?

My experience with that program has been ... well .. MIXED ... I 'won' rather quickly a pair of cheap ass i7 airpod clones ... they took forever to arrive, were not the advertized color and from 'no box, looks used' I guess they sent me an old showroom model

Please please share with me if / how you managed to do that crazy review 'homework' ... this is very different from the usual review writing ... I tried like 5 times and in the end the AI always told me that I was not responding to the suggested points correctly

I have the suspicion that as long your freebie is traveling and until you write your review you cannot get another freebie ...
for more details and mental review writing prep, see my post from Aug 4

EDIT: I just spent another hour on this and lo-and-behold ... i finally got passed that pesky AI and now it sits in 'waiting to be approved' ... it appears that the kicker was that you seemingly have to add a photo to each single category, no matter how shoddy it might be. Of course I was thrown off by the message telling me that I failed following 'the tips' ...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #10,724 of 62,503
one can never have enough IEMs :D

With almost 50 units laying around... I totally get it.

But the ZS5 and ZS6 was enough to give a pass on the ZS7 and BA10.
Hurt me once, hurt me twice...

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #10,725 of 62,503
With almost 50 units laying around... I totally get it.

But the ZS5 and ZS6 was enough to give a pass on the ZS7 and BA10.
Hurt me once, hurt me twice...

I never really do sessions over 1h ... and somehow I really just wanted the BA because of the ironman look :D ... then the ZS6 i bought last .. because .. metal & red :D ... yeah .. bit crazy ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back