Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #10,171 of 62,145
I haven't tried them yet, but based on your experience and feedback from others with similar responses, I think a lager driver (8mm vs. 6mm) would have worked better in creating inverted sound waves to cancel the noise, which is why you're going to get better ANC from over-ear units. That being said, it would hit battery life, so they'd have to use a higher end battery in order to maintain the target battery life. I think it all boils down to what their target MSRP is and what they can pack in there in order to maintain margins and drive sales, hence reliance on market research.

A while back I completed survey (I purchased the original WF-1000X) and gave them my top 3 wants (they asked for my top 3), which I believe were SQ, battery life, and if i remember correctly, app control. I'm assuming they didn't think people cared for IP rating, since it probably scored lower on the list. That being said, if someone is asked to pick their top 3 movies of all time, sure they can, but if they purchase a collection, they're probably going want their top 10. So, even asking people what their top 3 of this or that may give you some idea, many times, I want more than just my top 3 reasons...I want it all, baby!

And sony has the resources to deliver everything and they didn’t. It’s a fine product. But it’s basically a prettier wf-1000x. I’m sure they will sell like hot cakes. I’m still disappointed that they couldn’t deliver the best tw experience to date. I don’t think it’s too much to ask a mega company like Sony to deliver in all areas. That said, my guess is the sports version is coming and that might move the needle for me.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #10,172 of 62,145
Soo...I recently purchased these:

MEGIVEZ
Just like the MEBUYZ (same company/seller), these suck. They looked like a simple re-brand of the X-Pods (reviewed here by @Bartig), but they are not. It's a bassy, muddy mess, which also sounds very hollow. Poor drivers. EQ just makes it a different kind of bad. Just say "NO" to MEGIVEZ and don't give MEGIVEZ to anyone. Me no give. Me give back.

GRDE
I had to return the Creative Outlier Air because the buttons were just too firm and I found I constantly had to readjust after pressing them. I thought I'd get used to it, but just couldn't. Sooo...looking for a similar form factor but with touch controls, I came across these, which I must say, come really close to the Creative Outlier Air sound-wise. AAC, USB C, and a 6,000 mAh case, along with a protective pouch for the case, rounds out a nice package for $55. Bass is deep, the overall signature leans warm and could use a cut in some of the upper bass/low mids, along with a push in the low treble (2-4 kHz), but they EQ well with good quality drivers. Anyone looking in this range should seriously consider these. Definitely fun and can be made pretty darn nice with subtle EQ. Oh, and the touch controls are one of the most responsive I have encountered. What I mean is, there is typically a delay from the 'buds to the phone, but these respond quite nicely.

Since I am a complete and utter degenerate, I also purchased these CloudFox 'buds, which should arrive sometime today. USB C, touch controls, and look quite snazzy (watch the cheesy Amazon video). For $32, I hoping these are a sleeper hit.

IMG_2266.jpg

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #10,173 of 62,145

MEGIVEZ
Just like the MEBUYZ (same company/seller), these suck. They looked like a simple re-brand of the X-Pods (reviewed here by @Bartig), but they are not. It's a bassy, muddy mess, which also sounds very hollow. Poor drivers. EQ just makes it a different kind of bad. Just say "NO" to MEGIVEZ and don't give MEGIVEZ to anyone. Me no give. Me give back.

GRDE
I had to return the Creative Outlier Air because the buttons were just too firm and I found I constantly had to readjust after pressing them. I thought I'd get used to it, but just couldn't. Sooo...looking for a similar form factor but with touch controls, I came across these, which I must say, come really close to the Creative Outlier Air sound-wise. AAC, USB C, and a 6,000 mAh case, along with a protective pouch for the case, rounds out a nice package for $55. Bass is deep, the overall signature leans warm and could use a cut in some of the upper bass/low mids, along with a push in the low treble (2-4 kHz), but they EQ well with good quality drivers. Anyone looking in this range should seriously consider these. Definitely fun and can be made pretty darn nice with subtle EQ. Oh, and the touch controls are one of the most responsive I have encountered. What I mean is, there is typically a delay from the 'buds to the phone, but these respond quite nicely.

Since I am a complete and utter degenerate, I also purchased these CloudFox 'buds, which should arrive sometime today. USB C, touch controls, and look quite snazzy (watch the cheesy Amazon video). For $32, I hoping these are a sleeper hit.

Have you tried the advanced? A little more than 55 but I think you’d enjoy them and touch controls. Funny about the controls. I’ve been having issues with touch controls and sweat. The anbes have nice physical buttons and had no issues on my bike. So they’re staying.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #10,175 of 62,145
I just won an Edifier TWS1 on aliexpress. I’ll review it. I look forward to it’s “classic sound,” as the review I read called it’s signature.
A model I'm interested in, as Edifier mostly makes decent products.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #10,176 of 62,145
I've had some time with the Nillkin Go, so here are some more in-depth impressions.

1 (1)-800x800.jpg

First off, the look and feel. I quite like the simple and sleek design, and both the IEMs and the case feel very well-made. The case is the smallest I've seen, which is a nice bonus. My only complaint is that there's no USB-C or wireless charging, but with a price tag of less than $30, that's probably too much to ask for.

The shallow insertion design means that you won't get much noise isolation, but on the flip-side it means that they're very comfortable and that getting the right seal is quick and effortless. No issues at all taking them running in terrain either, the fit is excellent.

I've taken to using I Am Abomination by 1349 for testing, as it's such an intense track. The Nillkin Go handles it with ease, producing both the signature Black Metal double bass drumming with sufficient punch as well as crystal clear cymbal crashes and everything in between. As a lover of black/death and progressive metal, I find them to be a joy to listen to.

In terms of sound profile, these feel quite similar to the excellent Sabbat X12 Pro. The biggest difference is in the treble, where the Sabbat can't match the Nillkin, so the aforementioned cymbals sound tame and subdued in comparison.

In conclusion, I'm very happy with these. My other TWS will probably see very little use from now on.

Further examples of music used for testing:
Anaal Nathrakh, Emperor, Leprous, Behemoth, Bolt Thrower, 1349, Windir

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #10,177 of 62,145
I just won an Edifier TWS1 on aliexpress. I’ll review it. I look forward to it’s “classic sound,” as the review I read called it’s signature.

Congrats!!!!

Curious to hear how your review process works out. In case this is your first freebie review, it is quite a batch of homework. And I seem to never get it right. The AI that looks over my finished review always says
D85A282B-FB75-424B-80F9-89C8B1F8A83F.jpeg

Following the ‘tips’ is not easy, as some of the headlines do not correspond to the tips ...

C75B8085-6E51-434C-9F87-4224729690F7.jpeg

The facts that you can only write the review on phone, not desktop, plus there is no way to save mid writing / go back edit really do not help either. After about 5 attempts I have given up. I also think I might have gotten a crappy show room model (only get 30 min of battery time) of the ever so crappy i7 first ever AirPod clone. And not even in the advertised black color ...

1F64BF41-BED6-4786-8817-0A6CDD67760B.jpeg

Kinda done with the freebie game

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #10,178 of 62,145

Just based on this video I feel I need those CloudFoxes in my ears!!!

Too bad that image search on AliExpress does not reveal anything...

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,179 of 62,145
I am waiting, hoping for at least Bose QC20 (which are wired IEMs) level ANC (which I think is fantastic) in the upcoming Bose TWS 700 next year ... or any competitor's if they figure it out ... I don't think it is too difficult ... heck, 3 years ago the idea of properly working and stay connected TWE seemed 'too difficult' ... now we can get pretty good ones for 20$ ;D
I was so curious how good an iem ANC can get and went ahead and got the QC20, and I got to say it's ANC is very good. If Bose can pull off same level of ANC on TW, it would be a sucess. The thing about QC20 is that the ANC circuit is quite bulky, and if they can shrink it down with the same performance I'd be all for it.

They recently came out with NC 700 full-sized, and they demonstrated they are able to filter out ambient noise up to 75dB, and have your voice come through the call crystal clear! Awsome! This is a big deal. You can talk in a noisy environment, and the other side will hear you clearly.

I don't know why I didn't go for the QC20 earlier. I think it sounds good and the biggest draw is it's ANC performance. Bass is a bit boomy and the treble is slightly on the grainy side, but I like the sound of these. Good clarity on them. I would prefer a more ergonomic fit with over the ear cabling to reduce micro-phonics. I'm impressed with Bose's in-ear ANC capability. Their general noise cancelling tech overall.

quietcomfort-20-isolation-graph-small.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #10,180 of 62,145

MEGIVEZ

GRDE

Can the GRDE charge itself or other devices using its USB port type C to C?

ANOMOIBUDS/Phantom IP010 Plus is another one with Type C + Qi charging, design reminiscent of Outlier Air. It even has Bixby activation coughcough... Some negative reviews in Korean that are sloppily translated. There was one on YouTube The wireless charging power is rated at 10W, but one reviewer on YouTube says there's a burning smell if charged with anything more than 5V - not sure if he's referring to wireless or wired though. Also note the case says it has 5V/2A input but the manual says you must use 5V/1A. From what the video shows it can be used as a 2600mah battery bank via C to C, but I'm not so sure if it could charge itself using C to C...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982552926.html

Here's some photos tearing down the broken Earfun free. It's an utterly tangled mess of wires with loads of adhesive around the shell. The drivers are smaller than I expected, and the green and orange pair of wires appears to be linked to it. I don't see anything wrong with the connection and tried to fiddle around with the wires to see if sound could be regained, to no avail. It might be possible the failure is down to the IC rather than the soldering...
67632923_411178249754363_3005917339817345024_n.jpg 67879775_2312762082319442_4662587071716655104_n.jpg 67650564_2197969433659200_3883521768484241408_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #10,181 of 62,145
Do you feel that the bass goes deep on you're set? My Nillkin have hardly any bass below 60hz
Beginning to think my set is faulty...
I've had some time with the Nillkin Go, so here are some more in-depth impressions.

First off, the look and feel. I quite like the simple and sleek design, and both the IEMs and the case feel very well-made. The case is the smallest I've seen, which is a nice bonus. My only complaint is that there's no USB-C or wireless charging, but with a price tag of less than $30, that's probably too much to ask for.

The shallow insertion design means that you won't get much noise isolation, but on the flip-side it means that they're very comfortable and that getting the right seal is quick and effortless. No issues at all taking them running in terrain either, the fit is excellent.

I've taken to using I Am Abomination by 1349 for testing, as it's such an intense track. The Nillkin Go handles it with ease, producing both the signature Black Metal double bass drumming with sufficient punch as well as crystal clear cymbal crashes and everything in between. As a lover of black/death and progressive metal, I find them to be a joy to listen to.

In terms of sound profile, these feel quite similar to the excellent Sabbat X12 Pro. The biggest difference is in the treble, where the Sabbat can't match the Nillkin, so the aforementioned cymbals sound tame and subdued in comparison.

In conclusion, I'm very happy with these. My other TWS will probably see very little use from now on.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #10,182 of 62,145
Have you tried the advanced? A little more than 55 but I think you’d enjoy them and touch controls. Funny about the controls. I’ve been having issues with touch controls and sweat. The anbes have nice physical buttons and had no issues on my bike. So they’re staying.

I adjust fit esp. early on if I find the seal isn't equal, there is sweat, at times just take them out to take a break or talk to someone. Find myself holding the buds at times. No way I would find touch controls anything but troublesome and annoying and end up doing things I don't intend.

Just based on this video I feel I need those CloudFoxes in my ears!!!

Too bad that image search on AliExpress does not reveal anything...

A whopping 15 hours with the case. Who wants a 3 hours per TW atm unless you are a total degenerate. :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #10,183 of 62,145
A whopping 15 hours with the case. Who wants a 3 hours per TW atm unless you are a total degenerate. :)

In the beginning of TWE I was also eyeing those times like a hawk. Waiting for the one that would be able to work through a marathon...

But in general, I rarely have listening sessions over 1h ... some runs go up to 2.5 h .... so... while 3h is on the low end. I’d still would go for it, if the sq justifies it.

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #10,184 of 62,145

try some accoustics on them and hear the treble shines more. i also like the bass speed: basically the overall sound is speedy like BAs, very minimal bloom and tail on the notes. really similar to studio monitor feel. i agree with you that the case is really slippery to open. putting a little abrasive surfaced stickers might help. i have familiarized myself so now i can open it swiftly, but it does become slippery after a while from natural oil of the hand.

i only reach for my sabbat when i got the Nillkin on charge, or when i just want to watch youtube. other than that, the Nillkin takes the main stage

Do you feel that the bass goes deep on you're set? My Nillkin have hardly any bass below 60hz
Beginning to think my set is faulty...

i tested it and my unit can go down to 30hz, and i have no problem hearing the subbass even in public environment like malls, even with it's not to isolating nature

I adjust fit esp. early on if I find the seal isn't equal, there is sweat, at times just take them out to take a break or talk to someone. Find myself holding the buds at times. No way I would find touch controls anything but troublesome and annoying and end up doing things I don't intend.

yup, no touch controls for me if i can help it. and 3 hours of single charge use in this time of year is very short. 5 hours is minimum for me.

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #10,185 of 62,145
In the beginning of TWE I was also eyeing those times like a hawk. Waiting for the one that would be able to work through a marathon...

But in general, I rarely have listening sessions over 1h ... some runs go up to 2.5 h .... so... while 3h is on the low end. I’d still would go for it, if the sq justifies it.

Still have to see how it turns out for him. They are of course gonna say they sound good but SQ is not proven. Aside from the battery life it says "Auto Pairing
Only open the charging box, take earbuds out of charging case and they will seamlessly pair with each other automatically" but doesn't say it connects with the device automatically. Also looked at the video but no sound. Doesn't say how the controls work or if they leave out volume control or anything else. To me, they seem a higher risk for letdown and I would have passed again unless being a total degenerate. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back