Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #10,157 of 62,419
1st - sorry for the empty post above. 2nd - sorry if this has been already asked ad nauseam. I have no experience at all with in ear, let alone wireless. I'm looking for an educated reference as to what kind of sound quality I can expect from a 30 - 50 USD wireless in ear?? I own a ZMF Eikon and a Sony WH-1000X M3. Not surprisingly the Sony can not match the ZMF in any aspect - but within its given limitations, the Sony to me sounds pleasant by not trying to do something it simply cannot do. However the Sony to me even with new Dekoni Pads ist not the most comfortable long distance cruiser (Clamp, ANC-Seal??) That is why I'm looking forward to try an in ear wireless. So when u guys say a Syllable S101, Sabbat E12, Anbes 359, Wpow T5 etc. etc. "sounds very good" how can I place that verdict within my limited headphone cosmos? I am only going to use the true wireless in ears for casual listening to youtube or sound sources with a similar quaity. The ZMF will be taking care of "serious" music listening. cheers and thanx in advance for your input ...

PS: I'm not bothering you with "comfort" as I understand this is a very individual issue and subject to try and error ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #10,158 of 62,419
I got a 90 day ban from Best Buy once, but then I just started paying cash and returning at different Best Buy locations, as to not be "made". They never once asked for ID.

I buy so much stuff on Amazon that a few returns here and there never affect me. I did receive a "we're concerned" email once, but that was early on in this hobby and I literally returned like 12 pairs of headphones, in like, 12 days.
I started to wonder last week whether or not i might get a warning from Amazon of some sort, as i knew that potentially i'd be returning the XM3s, mpow T5s and MeeAudio X10s. X10s are going back obviously, as they shouldn't even be packaged in a kids happy meal let alone cost $80 on Amazon, BB etc. Speaking of the Sonys, i got them Wednesday, and have been playing catch up on this thread. don't have a full opinion formed yet, but What at Clerkpalmer described several pages back about the sound being pretty disapointing initially, matched my experience. listened to them for 3 hours or so however, and did definitely notice a change in SQ. That is to say, they sounded much better than initially. The ANC is great, and i wanted these in part for that, but even with improved sound, not sure whether or not it will be enough to keep them. Once i have a chance to try the EQ on the app out i'll know pretty quickly. First thing i'll start with is to see if i can add some life into the mids as they're pretty lacking in 'flat" mode imo.

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #10,159 of 62,419
I started to wonder last week whether or not i might get a warning from Amazon of some sort, as i knew that potentially i'd be returning the XM3s, mpow T5s and MeeAudio X10s. X10s are going back obviously, as they shouldn't even be packaged in a kids happy meal let alone cost $80 on Amazon, BB etc. Speaking of the Sonys, i got them Wednesday, and have been playing catch up on this thread. don't have a full opinion formed yet, but What at Clerkpalmer described several pages back about the sound being pretty disapointing initially, matched my experience. listened to them for 3 hours or so however, and did definitely notice a change in SQ. That is to say, they sounded much better than initially. The ANC is great, and i wanted these in part for that, but even with improved sound, not sure whether or not it will be enough to keep them. Once i have a chance to try the EQ on the app out i'll know pretty quickly. First thing i'll start with is to see if i can add some life into the mids as they're pretty lacking in 'flat" mode imo.
Are you talking about the WFXM3? It didn't meet my expectations or I was basically disappointed with them. ANC is a joke, and I think it's not a real ANC like the full-sized WHXM3, and reality is that it's too difficult to make areal working high quality ANC in an iem. It sounds like the cancelling waves on the low-end was cancelling the subs. That ANC is nowhere on the level of full-sized. I don't like the elongated size of the earpieces (reminds me of duchey looking BT earpieces from back in the days). SQ isn't really good as these Youtube reviewers are hyping them up to be. It's not even better than cheap wired dynamic driver iems.

The main issue that I have with TW is that the amps are not driving these dynamic drivers hard enough to get good sound quality. Bass was a bit mushy and the treble sounded uneven, and like usual, low separation of sounds. Yeah, not paying $230 for them as I'm fine with the 65t that I paid less than half of that amount for. For this level of SQ, I just need 'good enough for the gym' level. I know there are much terrible ones out there (peaky treble or overpowering low-end that skews the tonality), but as long as the tonality is fairly balanced, they are good enough for their deeds. Other than gym, rest of my time is with wired because of simplicity of no charging and plug and play, and most importantly, sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #10,160 of 62,419
Are you talking about the WFXM3? It didn't meet my expectations or I was basically disappointed with them. ANC is a joke, and I think it's not a real ANC like the full-sized WHXM3, and it too difficult to make a high quality ANC on an iem. It sounds like the cancelling waves on the low-end was cancelling the subs. That ANC is nowhere on the level of full-sized. I don't like the elongated size of the earpieces (reminds me of duchey looking BT earpieces from back in the days). SQ isn't really good as these Youtube reviewers are hyping them up to be. It's not even better than cheap wired dynamic driver iems. The main issue that I have with TW is that the amps are not driving these dynamic drivers hard enough to get good sound quality. Bass was a bit mushy and the treble sounded uneven, and like usual, low separation of sounds. Yeah, not paying $230 for them as I'm fine with the 65t that I paid less than half of that amount for.

To me they are plenty good enough and better than the 3 other tws I’ve tried (Beoplay E8, Havit G1 and Earin M2). In my use case for commuting, excercising and flying I would not be able to appreciate ir notice any better sq given the level of background noise in these situations and the ANC works OK but not to the level of the full size XM3. All in all I’m happy with them

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #10,161 of 62,419
I used my XM3 for over 6 hours straight yesterday from my iPhone with aac with ANC constantly on and volume at about 60% and the battery ended up at 20% so could probably have continued another 1-2 hours. Sound in general is probably the best of any tws I’ve tried
Good to know. My first test of battery life may not be typical since I played around different settings in the app quite a lot. Unfortunately I only use more than 6hrs when I take a flight so I have to wait to test again. The sound is growing on me. For sure they are in the top group in terms of SQ, where one's music taste matters more. The EQ in app is quite effective and convenient. I can understand that they're the one to beat for commute, considering the combination of look, features, and sound.

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #10,162 of 62,419
Is anyone else with the Mpow T5s having problems with them auto pairing? They were fine at first, but now when I pull them out of the case half the time I have to hold down the button and reconnect them. I've deleted them and repaired, it doesn't make any difference. I really like them, and so I'm wondering if I got a bum set.

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #10,163 of 62,419
[...]ANC is a joke, and I think it's not a real ANC like the full-sized WHXM3, and reality is that it's too difficult to make areal working high quality ANC in an iem. [...]

I am waiting, hoping for at least Bose QC20 (which are wired IEMs) level ANC (which I think is fantastic) in the upcoming Bose TWS 700 next year ... or any competitor's if they figure it out ... I don't think it is too difficult ... heck, 3 years ago the idea of properly working and stay connected TWE seemed 'too difficult' ... now we can get pretty good ones for 20$ ;D

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #10,164 of 62,419
Speaking of ANC .. anyone know THESE? I recall seeing them also labeled as Samload .. the first very positive review somehow reads like a amazon shill review .. but of course, I could be wrong :)

bonola.jpg

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #10,165 of 62,419
Speaking of ANC .. anyone know THESE? I recall seeing them also labeled as Samload .. the first very positive review somehow reads like a amazon shill review .. but of course, I could be wrong :)

Those are going to be some Shrek ears though... Reminds me of the iQute TWS.

Also - 25dB noise reduction... Any well isolating earphones are going to do fairly similar. Pretty sure my Anbes 359 do more than that with the eartips I'm using on them.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #10,166 of 62,419
Those are going to be some Shrek ears though... Reminds me of the iQute TWS.

Also - 25dB noise reduction... Any well isolating earphones are going to do fairly similar. Pretty sure my Anbes 359 do more than that with the eartips I'm using on them.

another pair of Shrek ear buds are the Bose SSF, which I love and don't mind the look ... other that come to mind are the 1more stylish (still somewhat ambivalent about them) and the Tronmart Spunky buds, which I never tried because of those looks :)

never fully trusting those db numbers on ANC ... guess only a listening test would tell ... well, will keep them on my wishlist for now .. maybe something for 11.11 :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #10,167 of 62,419

Bah no volume control and round bad combo. The charging case looks like the syllables. I think you better stop you're at 30ish TWS. Aww snap.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #10,169 of 62,419
Are you talking about the WFXM3? It didn't meet my expectations or I was basically disappointed with them. ANC is a joke, and I think it's not a real ANC like the full-sized WHXM3, and reality is that it's too difficult to make areal working high quality ANC in an iem. It sounds like the cancelling waves on the low-end was cancelling the subs. That ANC is nowhere on the level of full-sized. I don't like the elongated size of the earpieces (reminds me of duchey looking BT earpieces from back in the days). SQ isn't really good as these Youtube reviewers are hyping them up to be. It's not even better than cheap wired dynamic driver iems.

The main issue that I have with TW is that the amps are not driving these dynamic drivers hard enough to get good sound quality. Bass was a bit mushy and the treble sounded uneven, and like usual, low separation of sounds. Yeah, not paying $230 for them as I'm fine with the 65t that I paid less than half of that amount for. For this level of SQ, I just need 'good enough for the gym' level. I know there are much terrible ones out there (peaky treble or overpowering low-end that skews the tonality), but as long as the tonality is fairly balanced, they are good enough for their deeds. Other than gym, rest of my time is with wired because of simplicity of no charging and plug and play, and most importantly, sound quality.
I haven't tried them yet, but based on your experience and feedback from others with similar responses, I think a lager driver (8mm vs. 6mm) would have worked better in creating inverted sound waves to cancel the noise, which is why you're going to get better ANC from over-ear units. That being said, it would hit battery life, so they'd have to use a higher end battery in order to maintain the target battery life. I think it all boils down to what their target MSRP is and what they can pack in there in order to maintain margins and drive sales, hence reliance on market research.

A while back I completed survey (I purchased the original WF-1000X) and gave them my top 3 wants (they asked for my top 3), which I believe were SQ, battery life, and if i remember correctly, app control. I'm assuming they didn't think people cared for IP rating, since it probably scored lower on the list. That being said, if someone is asked to pick their top 3 movies of all time, sure they can, but if they purchase a collection, they're probably going want their top 10. So, even asking people what their top 3 of this or that may give you some idea, many times, I want more than just my top 3 reasons...I want it all, baby!

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #10,170 of 62,419
Is anyone else with the Mpow T5s having problems with them auto pairing? They were fine at first, but now when I pull them out of the case half the time I have to hold down the button and reconnect them. I've deleted them and repaired, it doesn't make any difference. I really like them, and so I'm wondering if I got a bum set.
Haven't had any issues at all. iPhone or Android? I'd recommend a power off/restart of your phone. Also, I notice they are a bit slippery, so if you managed to get them up a bit but then they make contact with the charging prongs again, it can throw off the auto-pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back