Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #10,201 of 62,585
LRM_EXPORT_81862498943770_20190805_185353520.jpeg

So I'm just about ready to test various IEMs with the TM2... after taking a bunch of photos, I started listening and...

It appears the right MMCX adapter for some reason, didn't want to output sound correctly. It happens the night before when trying it into my friends FW01, but I dismiss it as oddity as it works on the included pair.

Now, it also didn't work with the included pair anymore. The right side just won't output sound to my ear, I can wiggle it a bit and I can hear the sound on and off, but never got into a resting position where it would work. I don't see anything bend on the pin inside... oh well, I ordered a replacement adapter with Amazon Japan, so my test will be pending until that arrives.

For now though, I give the TM2 IEM a test with cable and compare it to a few IEMs at my arsenal. This include the Fostex TE04 on the low end, JVC FX850 on mid end and JVC FD01 on the higher end. All of these are dynamic driver.

General impression I had with the TM2 IEM is that it lacks a bit of bass, but otherwise pretty balanced. It's a bit of the thin side for me, however with great details and coherence. It might be a touch too much on upper mid for my taste, but it fell short of being sibilance, so that's good. This does reminds me of Andromeda a bit signature-wise, but of course it wasn't at that level...

Now for comparison, first against the old sibling, Fostex TE04. Right away, I can tell that the TE04 has more bass, boomy bass. There isn't much quality in TE04 bass, so I prefer the leaner TM2 here. TE04 has a rather V-shaped sound, so it does has somewhat piercing treble, with the mid dipped quite hard. For me, there is no comparison, TM2 won.

Next, going against FX850, it's a bit of a closer match. The FX850 score with bigger boomy bass, but with a better quality that I like. The mid is also thicker, giving a good body to vocal that I also prefer. However, FX850 fell short on the timbre which is slightly odd, maybe a bit plasticky? Not sure about the correct terms. I found the TM2 to be better timbre-wise. Technically, I think TM2 is slightly better and I do enjoy TM2 more despite me liking FX850 bass and mids.

Finally, against the FD01, the JVC do have more bass, but it wasn't boomy. This is a cleaner, well extended bass, that the TM2 somehow lack. The mids are slightly thicker on FD01, but neither is on thick side. Treble on FD01 is just right for me, TM2 is slightly more elevated I think, but still within my tolerance. Now, FD01 is also a better IEM in terms of technicality and details, so here I do prefer FD01.

Tldr; FD01 > TM2 > FX850 > TE04

Both FD01 and TM2 are harder to drive, I'm hovering around 45/60 on my Onkyo Granbeat at normal gain. The TE04 is around 41-42, while FX850 is around 38.

In short, I think the TM2 included IEM is really good, well competitive at this price even without the Bluetooth module. However, I didn't expect it to sound this way with cable, I don't remember it sounding thin when using the Bluetooth set, not thick either, but just about right. I can't confirm right now though with my right adapter busted.

Oh well, I'll enjoy it with my U12 for the week. :)

Also fun fact: the TM2 MMCX adapter won't work with Fostex TE04. It won't click into place. Further investigation shows that the TE04 cable has slightly longer MMCX head, maybe like 0.3mm or something. This is weird to me because... both are FOSTEX! :D

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #10,202 of 62,585
Good to hear, I've got eyes on these as I usually listen hybrids so these sound like they'd be good!!

Found the 1st problem... it lack volume levels.
Its either too loud or too low, have to play a bit more to check if I can fix it on the cellphone.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #10,203 of 62,585
Sweet. Just need mine to get off that plane. Let us know about the battery life.

Will not have time today to check battery life, can report on this tomorrow.

But I did found some problems with it already:

- Too few volume steps... its either NONE, too low, too high or maximum. (probably I can unpair the cellphone's volume and the IEM volume to fix it)
- EVERYTIME I tried to double tap it to change songs it detected just 1 tap.
- Micro USB, Really?

That said, it sounds awesome, looks awesome, the fit is good,

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #10,205 of 62,585
Whoah! A local online shop are lending these to me (and later on the Sony’s) to test, review and compare them! :D :D

26A1BAE8-A505-45A4-AC37-C086B7E59B0B.jpeg

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #10,206 of 62,585
Will not have time today to check battery life, can report on this tomorrow.

But I did found some problems with it already:

- Too few volume steps... its either NONE, too low, too high or maximum. (probably I can unpair the cellphone's volume and the IEM volume to fix it)
- EVERYTIME I tried to double tap it to change songs it detected just 1 tap.
- Micro USB, Really?

That said, it sounds awesome, looks awesome, the fit is good,

most TWS volume adjustments are like that, the steps are a bit jumpy.
what phone are you using? if you happen to uae samsung phones, you can adjust the step increments of the volume of the phone using the sound assistance app.

also, i recently enjoy to turn on the Dolby atmos feature on my Note 8, as it enhance the room/space feel of the sound, while giving a slight but noticable bass impact

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #10,207 of 62,585
Received my KZ T1 today and had about 1h to play with them and straight out of the box, no change of tips, no burn in ... i am totally in awe!

Those sound really really good! Currently listening to Hanz Zimmer's Interstellar OST, one of my fav recordings which I must have listened to close to 100 times ... and I am suddenly making out minor details (low volume in the high region) that I have never heard / noticed before! The detail on these is phenomenal, while the bass, not overpowering, but sweet and punchy and can go low when needed. Have not done any mid specific testing yet, just enjoying as is right now ... but overall very very happy! Will do a battery test when I have the time :D

I wonder sometimes if my brass ears can still correctly make out sound stage, but I have a feeling here that this easily beats the Anbes 359, which are often said to have a wide soundstage.

So far I did not experience a single connection drop.

Buuuut ... here are some minor pet-peeves I have noticed so far, maybe flaws on the design stage that can still be fixed (if KZ reads along here?)
-while the case feels premium (made by Mifo? same tag line :wink: ) , the buds are a bit less so ... the 'famous from cheap buds' blinking red/blue lights do not help, plus, the blue lights keep blinking every 5 secs or so, which is really annoying in the dark (somehow I think I have read there was a way to turn that off? )

kzt2.jpg

- the other thing is how the buds are placed in the case ...

kzt1.jpg

when opening the case like this, the buds are exactly on opposite sides ... this is kinda annoying ... I have the same thing with the Whizzer TP1 ...

- the touch sensor reacts too quickly, it is easy to pause music by accident ... to do the triple click for vol up/down, you kinda need to 'aim' first, which already triggers a pause :)

Overall minor things, but I am still super happy with the SQ ... the fit is very similar to the Sabbath x12 btw. Just more plasticky feel.

Too bad they have no IPX rating whatsoever ... would have made them my fav new running buds ...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #10,208 of 62,585
So, I'm looking for the best sounding true wireless IEM and I found now these:

Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay E8 2.0
Sony WF-1000XM3

Is there others IEMs to consider?

Thanks!

Im VERY impressed by the KZ T1... you should check it out.

True, I dont had any of those,m but comparing to the Whizzer TP1, The TFZ X1 and the Sabbat E12, they are miles ahead.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #10,211 of 62,585
most TWS volume adjustments are like that, the steps are a bit jumpy.
what phone are you using? if you happen to uae samsung phones, you can adjust the step increments of the volume of the phone using the sound assistance app.

also, i recently enjoy to turn on the Dolby atmos feature on my Note 8, as it enhance the room/space feel of the sound, while giving a slight but noticable bass impact

I have custom ROM, I can easily increase the steps, but this usually doesnt increase the device's step but "unlink" the cellphone volume to the device's volume.
It did solved the "too sensitive to regulate" AS10 for me.

Received my KZ T1 today and had about 1h to play with them and straight out of the box, no change of tips, no burn in ... i am totally in awe!

when opening the case like this, the buds are exactly on opposite sides ... this is kinda annoying ... I have the same thing with the Twizzer TP1 ...

- the touch sensor reacts too quickly, it is easy to pause music by accident ... to do the triple click for vol up/down, you kinda need to 'aim' first, which already triggers a pause :)

Overall minor things, but I am still super happy with the SQ ... the fit is very similar to the Sabbath x12 btw. Just more plasticky feel.

Too bad they have no IPX rating whatsoever ... would have made them my fav new running buds ...

I agree the swapped sides in the Whizzer TP1 and the KZ T1 is an annoyance, but I think they did it to pack as tightly as possible in the case. Also agree in the cheap construction, it would be a KILLER product if was as well made as the TFZ.

NO IPX rating? Damn thats a bummer (havent checked) but I doubt I will trust it again after my TFZ X1 dying after 1 shower.

No disconnections here, neither, they are clearly better than the TFZ AND the Whizzer in this aspect.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #10,212 of 62,585
NO IPX rating? Damn thats a bummer (havent checked) but I doubt I will trust it again after my TFZ X1 dying after 1 shower.

I double checked again ... KZ Official and Bright Audio say 'Waterproof: No' while YaoYaoTiger says 'Waterproof: yes' ... since none of the promotional material says anything regarding water / sweatproof / IPX, I am inclined to stay on the safe side and NOT go running with them (where I am now we have 95% humidity and I am totally drenched after each run, including the insides of my ears)

(small correction: YaoYaoTiger also says 'no' in the overview, but 'yes' in the spec-sheet ... probably a copy/paste error)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #10,213 of 62,585
Congrats Caipirina(person rahaha) & igorneumann on the T1. I'm so excited for you and jealous at the same time. Do you guys have the ZST to compare? I'm wondering if it has a similar SQ? Looking forward to the battery life at 50 percent. I'm thinking maybe 4 and half hours? and 80-95 Percent 3 hours? Dang I really want to hear these, F&%K. Slater did you order these?

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #10,214 of 62,585
Whoah! A local online shop are lending these to me (and later on the Sony’s) to test, review and compare them! :D :D

That's amazing a big congrats. Hopefully more online stores will send you more stuff to review. AWESOME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back