Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #10,696 of 62,544
Just wanted to mention, that after 2 solid weeks, i'm returning the Back Bay Duet 50's. Great battery life, comfort and connectivity, but they just don't sound that great via Iphone XS Max. Aptx via my Hackintosh sounds good, but with lower quality stuff, Like certain audio books, they sound downright terrible when compared to the QCY t1-pro, Anbes 359 and especially the t5. I'm bummed and i think if they were $25-30 I may consider keeping them, but for $42 it's a deal breaker.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #10,698 of 62,544
Soul Electronics ST-XS2
Similar form factor to the MPOW T5, except it has removable silicon sleeves (with and without ear hooks). No aptX, but does have AAC, USB-C, Fast Charge, Ambient Mode, IPX7, and 5 hours playtime (20 hours more in case). They are well built with good fabrication. Largest ear tips were a bit small for me, so I replaced them with some Sony L ear tips. Good overall comfort and great for the gym. Controls are a bit different, in that there is no Vol control and no track reverse. However, the controls are duplicated on each bud (play/pause, ambient, track forward), which I assume is because they are geared for active users that may only have 1 hand free at any given time. While I would have preferred Vol control and track reverse, I'm OK with the control scheme because I'll likely primarily use them at the gym. Calls semed to work well. I was reported as sounding loud and clear (in a quiet office). I have not tested in a loud environment or in the car, etc.

As far as sound, they sound really good. They have a nice sub-bass, but it's a subtle accentuation and adds some nice texture. Bass is solid, punchy, and not messy. Vocals sit right there in the mix and are not recessed. Highs are a bit rolled off (similar to Sony), which I happen to like (I'm not a fan of super treble forward or "neutral" signatures). Overall, they have the same form factor as the MPOW T5, and while they sound a bit different, I would place them on the same level. Definitely recommend.

Master & Dynamic MW07
I was able to squeeze out a total playtime of 3 hours, 16 mins before they just died and about 2 hours and 40 mins or so before the low battery warning. So far, this is the best I've experienced on any of the MW07s I've had. The Matte Black and Steel Blue had horrible battery life. Low battery at like 1 hours 30 mins or something. Just pathetic. The Tortoiseshell was better, but it looks like the new colors may have definitely improved upon the battery life, either via firmware or new batter supplier. Still not the best for calls.

Man, you have impeccable timing with your impressions of the ST-XS2.

I'm concerned with the fact that they don't have aptx. How does their sound compare to more higher end IEMs?

Also, would their be audio sync issues when watching movies?

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #10,699 of 62,544
The Dots are slightly larger, i'd go with M/L size if you use the L MPOW tips.

Pictured is the spiral dot M/S, Mpow M, Spiral Dot M, Mpow L and Spiral dot L
IMG_8712.jpg IMG_8713.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #10,700 of 62,544
Soul Electronics ST-XS2
Similar form factor to the MPOW T5, except it has removable silicon sleeves (with and without ear hooks). No aptX, but does have AAC, USB-C, Fast Charge, Ambient Mode, IPX7, and 5 hours playtime (20 hours more in case). They are well built with good fabrication. Largest ear tips were a bit small for me, so I replaced them with some Sony L ear tips. Good overall comfort and great for the gym. Controls are a bit different, in that there is no Vol control and no track reverse. However, the controls are duplicated on each bud (play/pause, ambient, track forward), which I assume is because they are geared for active users that may only have 1 hand free at any given time. While I would have preferred Vol control and track reverse, I'm OK with the control scheme because I'll likely primarily use them at the gym. Calls semed to work well. I was reported as sounding loud and clear (in a quiet office). I have not tested in a loud environment or in the car, etc.

As far as sound, they sound really good. They have a nice sub-bass, but it's a subtle accentuation and adds some nice texture. Bass is solid, punchy, and not messy. Vocals sit right there in the mix and are not recessed. Highs are a bit rolled off (similar to Sony), which I happen to like (I'm not a fan of super treble forward or "neutral" signatures). Overall, they have the same form factor as the MPOW T5, and while they sound a bit different, I would place them on the same level. Definitely recommend.

Master & Dynamic MW07
I was able to squeeze out a total playtime of 3 hours, 16 mins before they just died and about 2 hours and 40 mins or so before the low battery warning. So far, this is the best I've experienced on any of the MW07s I've had. The Matte Black and Steel Blue had horrible battery life. Low battery at like 1 hours 30 mins or something. Just pathetic. The Tortoiseshell was better, but it looks like the new colors may have definitely improved upon the battery life, either via firmware or new batter supplier. Still not the best for calls.

Thanks for the info. Maybe third time try of MW07... Just returned Sony WF-1000XM3, not very impressed overall. Still need a better looking TWS for travel/commute.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #10,704 of 62,544
https://fccid.io/AK8WFH800

The new Sony wf-h800 could be unveiled on 21 Sept based on the confidentiality request.

Hi there, walkmanblog owner here, the documents which Sony wants to have hidden from view temporarily will become available on September 21st, this means that the headset can be announced before then, ie IFA 2019 or even afterwards. For example the WI-XB400, an affordable wireless headset, yet to be officially announced has had its documents already unsealed on the FCC. They should show up in stores shortly.

As for the WF-H800, it might be part of the the new H. Ear on/in line, along with the updated WH-H910N and they should both debut at IFA 2019, along with the WI-1000XM2 successor to the WI-1000X from IFA 2017. Unlike the new WF-1000XM3, the upcoming WI-1000XM2 will have LDAC support. If people wish to see how it looks like, I have entire blog post on my site showing off the entire design of the WI-1000XM2, I can post a link if people wish.

Anyways, I would not expect the WF-H800 to be better than the WF-1000XM3, as they will probably be positioned lower in the lineup.

Finally to any expects out there, I have a question, is Sony's LDAC codec a software, hardware or HW/SW based codec? Meaning, do Sony's headphones which support LDAC had a dedicated hardware decoder on board for the codec or can it be done all using software, ie loaded into flash memory onboard the device. Or is it a combination of both hardware and software? This is not my area of expertise and I am trying to determine if Sony has to add a dedicated hardware decoder for LDAC on their headphones since the WF-1000XM3 lacks LDAC but the upcoming WI-1000XM2 has LDAC support. So I wonder if the space inside the new WI-1000XM2 is enough to support a hardware decoder, where as the smaller WF-1000XM3, with its limited space lacks the space for the hardware decoder. Of course this theory goes out the window if the codec is only software and requires no hardware.

Perhaps it is software based and decoding it takes a lot of power and the limited battery on the WF-1000XM3 wouldn't last as long in other devices with larger batteries like WH-1000XM3 or the new WI-1000XM2. I don't know, this why I am asking. cheers.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #10,706 of 62,544
Man, you have impeccable timing with your impressions of the ST-XS2.

I'm concerned with the fact that they don't have aptx. How does their sound compare to more higher end IEMs?

Also, would their be audio sync issues when watching movies?
There's a little lag with YouTube via iPhone Xs Max over AAC. It's not unwatchable, but definitely noticeable. Amazon Prime Video and Hulu are in perfect sync. I don't have Netflix, but I'm sure that's proabbly good as well. It's just YouTube that's a bit off.

As far as sound, when you say higher end IEM, I assume you're just referring to wireless. It's really good, but it's not going to be at the level of the MW07, which to me, rivals many wired mid-rangers. Not sure if you've tried the Creative Outlier Air, but it's around that level.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #10,707 of 62,544
There's a little lag with YouTube via iPhone Xs Max over AAC. It's not unwatchable, but definitely noticeable. Amazon Prime Video and Hulu are in perfect sync. I don't have Netflix, but I'm sure that's proabbly good as well. It's just YouTube that's a bit off.

As far as sound, when you say higher end IEM, I assume you're just referring to wireless. It's really good, but it's not going to be at the level of the MW07, which to me, rivals many wired mid-rangers. Not sure if you've tried the Creative Outlier Air, but it's around that level.

Thanks for your input.

I guess I should downgrade my SQ expectations for an IPX7 rated TWS IEM at this point

Would you know of any other solid options that offer ambient sound passthrough like these or the new Sony wf-1000xm3, but with an IPX rating?

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #10,708 of 62,544
Woot, got my Wavefun XPods3!

Going to see how they compare to everything else on my shelf :D

First impression: that case is tiny compared to others!

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #10,709 of 62,544
I just got the Creative Outlier Air today and immediately took them outside in midtown Manhattan. BT interference really sucks, even with my phone in a chest pocket on my messenger bag. They sound very good when the music doesn't stutter & the left ear doesn't go out, though. The button on each ear is a little awkward to press like other reviews have said. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep them or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back