Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 15, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #45,406 of 62,307
I see the ARC has set sail(see what I did there!). $110.49 with 15% off code
https://cleeraudio.com/earbuds/arc/?attribute_pa_attr_color=midnight-blue
Anybody interested in this take on the open style??
1652627438334.png

Interested... yes. And admittedly curious. But nevertheless hesitant, as (like with the LinkBuds) I can't really imagine how this more complex style would offer any acoustic advantage over simpler Airpods 3 style (side-firing) earbuds. 16mm drivers make them somewhat tempting, but they're probably just needed to achieve similar sound pressure to Airpods 3 style earbuds, the latter of which sit closer to the ear canal and therefore don't require such large drivers.

May 15, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #45,407 of 62,307
May 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #45,408 of 62,307
Definitely check the Bluetooth settings on your device (Settings>Bluetooth>tap whatever name the Tempotec show up as>look for LDAC option). I forgot this was an option under each device and just assumed the Technics app handled that. I believe I had to do this with my XM4 but Sony at least called out that step.
The TempoTec is the DAP / source.
4135B13C-B618-4EF2-A85C-532B421F8C0F.jpeg

I wonder if I need to change anything in the Az60 app … but then, before I got to play some more. Low battery …

May 15, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #45,409 of 62,307
Both are really good, the AZ60 have a few advantages like a smaller case and cheaper price. Speaking of SQ there just something about the sub-bass that the MTW3 can produce without drowing out the mids/highs...Fantastic!

But If I had to chose I'd go with the MTW3 :) And I do actually agree that the MTW3 are the best overall TWS at the moment, if you take everything into consideration and not just SQ. The AZ60 is a really close at 2nd spot as the best overall TWS tho, at least in my view.

I'll prob buy the next TWS that Technics releases, hopefully this year.
I definitely want to try MTW3, but I also feel like my hand was forced a bit because Samsung doesn't license the newer aptX codecs, so for me and the MTW3, it's either settling for base aptX or AAC. I do have a growing collection of FLAC rips from my CD collection, so the higher bitrate LDAC provides is something I'd like to take advantage of especially as I'm coming from the base aptX in the E8 3.0. Those served me fine, despite some finicky controls, issues with the case, and the occasional pairing snafu. I admit to succumbing to the flashy numbers of the specs here, because I'm not exactly listening critically as I walk around or take my short train ride to and from work. I rip my CDs in FLAC and 320 MP3 I guess because I'm a digital hoarder.
--
Not able to spend nearly as much time with the AZ60 this weekend like I had hoped (wife is on the mend), so while I work from home this week, I may just plug them in and forget about using my stereo for a couple of days. Still not completely happy with the eartips; the CP360 tips I got this afternoon are just 'eh' and they do put a little more pressure on my ear than I like. Back to the stock Large tips for now, although I think the Comply Sport foam fit a little better. And hopefully I'll have a better understanding of what's bugging me about the fit as I use them more over the next few days. I appreciate the foam in the stock eartips because my ears do get a little sweaty and gunky from walking. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

The sound blows my previous E8 3.0 out of the water, and (crossing fingers), the AZ60 sits properly on the contacts in the charging case, so I don't have to worry about battery drain or losing my place in a podcast. LDAC streaming with the phone in my pocket does drop occasionally and briefly while walking around my neighborhood, so I'm interested in seeing how it performs when I'm in busy Manhattan.

May 16, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #45,410 of 62,307
... LDAC streaming with the phone in my pocket does drop occasionally and briefly while walking around my neighborhood, so I'm interested in seeing how it performs when I'm in busy Manhattan.
Mine are so weak on LDAC that I think they are defective. I get frequent signal drops on my pixel 5 (which does not have great BT though, especially with android 12). BT-Signal is also weakish using them with my 2012 Macbook Pro on AAC. I complained to amazon instead of just sending them back (2-3 months ago) and got my money back. Didn't have to return the in ears and could throw them away... And of course I kept them. They do annoy me often but the sound is "the best" I've heard from tws in ears. The point is: I'm now "stuck" on the AZ60s weak BT but it's hard to justify buying something else atm. I would have tried the MTW3, but now I won't. How's bluetooth stability working for you guys with the technics?

May 16, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #45,411 of 62,307
Both are really good, the AZ60 have a few advantages like a smaller case and cheaper price. Speaking of SQ there just something about the sub-bass that the MTW3 can produce without drowing out the mids/highs...Fantastic!

But If I had to chose I'd go with the MTW3 :) And I do actually agree that the MTW3 are the best overall TWS at the moment, if you take everything into consideration and not just SQ. The AZ60 is a really close at 2nd spot as the best overall TWS tho, at least in my view.

I'll prob buy the next TWS that Technics releases, hopefully this year.
I'd be curious to hear if the MTW3 could be a new ANC king? compared to Sony XM4, Bose QC, AZ60?

Anyone?

May 16, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #45,413 of 62,307
Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #45,414 of 62,307
Thanks, very much appreciate the time code ... but Flossy basically just says 'top tier' .. no compare really .. or did I miss something?

Still going through the motions, sometimes I feel super hyped about these and want to have them on Friday when they drop here .. half hour later I am more cautious and want to see if I can audition them first ... and then an hour later I am like 'eh, I have plenty, what spend so much money? ... evil cycle ... (get's back to 'what else you wanna spend money on? You deserve a new toy!')

May 16, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #45,416 of 62,307
Thanks, very much appreciate the time code ... but Flossy basically just says 'top tier' .. no compare really .. or did I miss something?

Still going through the motions, sometimes I feel super hyped about these and want to have them on Friday when they drop here .. half hour later I am more cautious and want to see if I can audition them first ... and then an hour later I am like 'eh, I have plenty, what spend so much money? ... evil cycle ... (get's back to 'what else you wanna spend money on? You deserve a new toy!')
xm4 is above top tier, it is the, what he calls, god tier level and only 2 deserve this: xm4 and bose qc.

time stamp included, again :).

May 16, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #45,417 of 62,307
Yes, he has 1 more tier, "God Tier" that is only Bose & Sony, but he does not mention it every time
Thanks guys for clarification

Flossy is not one my ’must watch’ reviewers, so I am not well versed in his tiers. :wink:

Think of it, I am not really digging / trusting any YT reviewer anymore. Jim’s review room vanished again I think. Those were the good old days.
Speaking of good old yt review days. Anyone remember Lachlanlikesathing? That used to be one of my favs. Seems he packed it up as well 2 years ago … gosh, hope it wasn’t the ‘Rona!

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #45,418 of 62,307
I spent about an hour using the Small tips on the AZ60 this time and still some soreness on the flat part of my concha, I think. The tips fit me just fine, but I'm wondering if the the raised area at the base of the stems, which is not covered by the eartips, is rubbing against the concha and causing the discomfort. The XS2 tips are too small to stay in place and didn't block sound effectively. I also tried the Medium CP360 and Comply 500 Sport foam again and still felt that discomfort. Anyone have any experience with this? This would be a dealbreaker for me, as much as I love the sound. I don't want them to be sticking out much further from my ears than necessary, otherwise they'll fall out.

Attachments

• c20220516_143938.jpg
    c20220516_143938.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #45,419 of 62,307
I spent about an hour using the Small tips on the AZ60 this time and still some soreness on the flat part of my concha, I think. The tips fit me just fine, but I'm wondering if the the raised area at the base of the stems, which is not covered by the eartips, is rubbing against the concha and causing the discomfort. The XS2 tips are too small to stay in place and didn't block sound effectively. I also tried the Medium CP360 and Comply 500 Sport foam again and still felt that discomfort. Anyone have any experience with this? This would be a dealbreaker for me, as much as I love the sound. I don't want them to be sticking out much further from my ears than necessary, otherwise they'll fall out.
this is a known issue. the same is the case with the sony xm4 and stock tips. final audio tips improve anc but you get a little bit less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back