Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #45,376 of 62,632
Yeah says ATPX in both the app and developer settings I'm afraid :/
Thanks. Well as long as you enjoy them that is all that really matters.

May 14, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #45,378 of 62,632
You should be able to confirm this in developer options for yourself. People told me that my PI7s could not do aptX HD. Turns out they do connect via aptX HD to my Pixel 6. Screenshots attached.

Whether the manufacturer needs to or does not need to specifically enable aptX HD does not seem relevant to whether the MTW3 support aptX HD. If B&W can do it, I see no reason why Sennheiser could not. Whenever I get around to picking up the MTW3, I will confirm the codec compatibility as well. Am hoping aptX HD will work with my Pixel 6 since it does not support aptX adaptive (my OnePlus 8T and LG V60 do support aptX adaptive on the other hand but I mostly use the Pixel).
Since PI7 supports aptX HD, it can be connected smoothly on your Pixel 6, and MTW3 does not support aptX HD, so it is connected by default aptX.
Screenshot_20220515-033356.png
Screenshot_20220515-033515.png

May 14, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #45,379 of 62,632
Since PI7 supports aptX HD, it can be connected smoothly on your Pixel 6, and MTW3 does not support aptX HD, so it is connected by default aptX.Screenshot_20220515-033356.pngScreenshot_20220515-033515.png
Guess it is what it is. Did not mean to start a codec discussion. I will probably get the MTW3 anyway (skipped the MTW2 to wait for this one). I do have phones with aptX adaptive but the Pixel is my main phone. Lack of aptX HD has not stopped me from enjoying my TWS in the past (Linkbuds have surprisingly become my go to recently and that is using AAC on Android) and the MTW3 seem to be great even with "only aptX". As I said, as long as you enjoy them it really doesn't matter what codec you are using.

May 14, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #45,380 of 62,632
Because I have a Samsung phone I only get Aptx, no adaptive.
Then shouldn't you still be able to run the mtw3 on aptx mode? I thought aptx adaptive gave you access to the entire aptx range and was backwards compatible?

May 14, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #45,381 of 62,632
DHRME reviewed the Evo which also matches with my view. In the sound quality section they quickly reference the AZ-60. I like the Evos but the ANC is weak and it does have its Quirks.

I watched the video, actually the smoothed treble on the AZ60 was an area I disliked and the new Spinfit tips helps adjust. So if the Evo have that issue I think am going to pass as the AZ60 are working better in this area with new tips and the Evo won't be able to use those.

They look nice though but I am not dropping the cash just for a pretty look.

I am sitting right now using my "old" WI-1000X and they sure fill my Sony fix. Sony gets certain things so right sound wise and this old neck ring IEM was one of Sony last IEMs that found the magic balance with bass, mids and treble. All the newer stuff is just to bassy and dark sounding but these tread a great line for me. Not a TWS but so far Sony has not made a compelling TWS sound wise for me. They have the best bells and whistles along with ANC on the planet but sonically they just can't seem to hit the sweet spot yet. Hopefully the new Linkbud S will swing back to the sound signature of some of their earlier products.

May 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #45,382 of 62,632
Then shouldn't you still be able to run the mtw3 on aptx mode? I thought aptx adaptive gave you access to the entire aptx range and was backwards compatible?
I have the UTWS5 which has Aptx Adaptive and you are correct I do get to use Aptx from my Samsung which is what those use by default. But to get this hires sound I would need my phone to support the higher Aptx codecs which it does not.

Having said that I completely agree with some other posters about codecs. They are nice and help but not nearly as much as a proper tuned and designed driver configuration. The UTWS5 only using Aptx slays EVERY TWS I own sonically when I have the Fiio FH5 attached. So I place less concern on the codecs and focus on the sound instead.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #45,383 of 62,632
May 14, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #45,384 of 62,632
May 14, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #45,386 of 62,632
I have the UTWS5 which has Aptx Adaptive and you are correct I do get to use Aptx from my Samsung which is what those use by default. But to get this hires sound I would need my phone to support the higher Aptx codecs which it does not.

Having said that I completely agree with some other posters about codecs. They are nice and help but not nearly as much as a proper tuned and designed driver configuration. The UTWS5 only using Aptx slays EVERY TWS I own sonically when I have the Fiio FH5 attached. So I place less concern on the codecs and focus on the sound instead.
Speaking of which, I got my UTWS5’s in today from AUDIO46. Just hooked my Jade Audio EA3’s up, and wow, these really are something special. Just a different class of sound.

May 14, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #45,387 of 62,632
Speaking of which, I got my UTWS5’s in today from AUDIO46. Just hooked my Jade Audio EA3’s up, and wow, these really are something special. Just a different class of sound.
Better than MTW3 or Noble Fokus Pro? Ofc depending onthe iem’s but…? Just got Fokus Pro yesterday but been 👁 on the UTES5. MTW3 vs Fokus Pro anyone?

May 14, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #45,389 of 62,632
Better than MTW3 or Noble Fokus Pro? Ofc depending onthe iem’s but…? Just got Fokus Pro yesterday but been 👁 on the UTES5. MTW3 vs Fokus Pro anyone?
I can’t speak to either of those, but they are superior - to my ears - to the Technics AZ60, Melomania Touch, and AKG NC400.

May 14, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #45,390 of 62,632

100%. People give in too much to codecs. It's the tuning and driver implementation that really can take a tws iem over the top in SQ. Get some decent Dacs/amps housed within the shells of any tws and it wouldn't matter what codec they are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back