Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 14, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #45,391 of 62,476
I think that soundsports free are wireless? I only have a wired in ear xvive system from sweetwater. I am replacing the shure earphones.
Hi Pitman..
I think I misunderstood.. Yes I have two wired Shure IEM’s, and they do sound great.. unfortunately I’m not aware of open backs, except maybe Audeze or Hifiman. These are plainer drivers, Are expensive at retail, but maybe cheaper used.

May 14, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #45,392 of 62,476
Better than MTW3 or Noble Fokus Pro? Ofc depending onthe iem’s but…? Just got Fokus Pro yesterday but been 👁 on the UTES5. MTW3 vs Fokus Pro anyone?
WRT to Fokus vs MTW3, here’s what I got so far. As I mentioned, I think the MTW3 are really impressive. Great presentation, sounds very realistic. Good instrument separation; they’re good. I enjoy listening to them. But I keep going back to the Fokus and just being like “these are awesome!” Can listen at lower volumes on Fokus than MTW3. Not just the amount of volume, I mean at quieter levels you can hear the details…better. Passive isolation on Fokus is crazy good. Comfort of the MTW3 is terrific; so small and yet so detailed with clear, strong bass
Out of box Fokus were little dark for me…have the mids and highs kicked up. MTW3 out of the box is great. Better be cause only 3 band eq.

Edit: I’d add that the bass on the Fokus is…high fidelity. In that it sounded like I could tell that Phil Lesh was playing a very loosely strung bass

Edit 2: the transparency feature on the MTW3 works well, especially compared to no such feature on the Fokus. Can you tell I’m having trouble choosing between them?

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #45,393 of 62,476
Speaking of which, I got my UTWS5’s in today from AUDIO46. Just hooked my Jade Audio EA3’s up, and wow, these really are something special. Just a different class of sound.
They aren't bad at all. For a budget set. There are definitely better options on the market but the EA3's are very nice at the price point. Some say the EA1 is even better as they don't have the odd BA treble.

May 15, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #45,395 of 62,476
I watched the video, actually the smoothed treble on the AZ60 was an area I disliked and the new Spinfit tips helps adjust. So if the Evo have that issue I think am going to pass as the AZ60 are working better in this area with new tips and the Evo won't be able to use those.

They look nice though but I am not dropping the cash just for a pretty look.

I am sitting right now using my "old" WI-1000X and they sure fill my Sony fix. Sony gets certain things so right sound wise and this old neck ring IEM was one of Sony last IEMs that found the magic balance with bass, mids and treble. All the newer stuff is just to bassy and dark sounding but these tread a great line for me. Not a TWS but so far Sony has not made a compelling TWS sound wise for me. They have the best bells and whistles along with ANC on the planet but sonically they just can't seem to hit the sweet spot yet. Hopefully the new Linkbud S will swing back to the sound signature of some of their earlier products.
I agree on the treble in the default tuning and it isn’t to my taste either. Luckily, using SoundID did work for me to make the tuning just right for me, however, as I said previously it took 5 attempts and that’s as someone who has used SoundID from day 1.

Personally I can’t see any reason to buy the Evos over the AZ-60.

May 15, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #45,396 of 62,476
Just got the AZ60 so I'll have a nice weekend playing with these.
Quick question: is this tape on the bottom of the box normal? Want to make sure I didn't get one that was opened previously (bought from B&H). Only one strip of tape that looks like it may be old enough to vote. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: iFixit's teardown also shows one piece of tape on the box, just like where mine is. Time to dig in!
Wow! for once I am not the LAST to the party :)

I think I had remnants of that tape on my box (which was used)

By the way, I have not managed yet to get these playing LDAC from my Tempotec V1 yet .. it appears to be connecting as LDAC 990, but when playing, the indicator says AAC ... tbh, I have not spent a lot of time on trouble shooting yet (nor testing with my Hiby R2) ...

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #45,398 of 62,476

Yeah looks massive, but there's some sort of grove at the inner part, so i suppose thats the part that will touch your ears. So they can still be fairly comfortable.

Looks interesting tho! I love the charging case! (my only complaint about the MTW3)...But I do fear how far behind BeyerDynamic will be in the software game!

May 15, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #45,399 of 62,476
Yes, they do look big and kind of bucking the trend, but just might sound incredible.. There is lots of room in that chamber for acoustic tuning….
Also, this company knows what they’re doing, German engineering at its best..
Agree. Xelento IEMs are still awesome to this day. These are worth keeping an eye on.

May 15, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #45,400 of 62,476
Speaking of which, I got my UTWS5’s in today from AUDIO46. Just hooked my Jade Audio EA3’s up, and wow, these really are something special. Just a different class of sound.

Yeah, I had given up on snagging a pair of UTWS5s (2-pin) as no one had them for the longest time. Was surprised to find them at Audio46, so I ordered a pair.

May 15, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #45,401 of 62,476
I see the ARC has set sail(see what I did there!). $110.49 with 15% off code
https://cleeraudio.com/earbuds/arc/?attribute_pa_attr_color=midnight-blue
Anybody interested in this take on the open style??
1652627438334.png

May 15, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #45,402 of 62,476
Wow! for once I am not the LAST to the party :)

I think I had remnants of that tape on my box (which was used)

By the way, I have not managed yet to get these playing LDAC from my Tempotec V1 yet .. it appears to be connecting as LDAC 990, but when playing, the indicator says AAC ... tbh, I have not spent a lot of time on trouble shooting yet (nor testing with my Hiby R2) ...
Now that I bought them, I'm sure reviews will be pouring out proclaiming MTW3 to be the best TWS ever, or for there to be a massive defect in the AZ60. :rolling_eyes:
I did not get to listen to them yesterday and hope to do so today to finish up my thoughts on them. I'm WFH the rest of the month so I'm not getting my usual commute/break time every day to listen. Getting the SpinFit tips from Amazon today and I hope they're comfortable. One thing I'll say is that I'm finding the stock eartips a little uncomfortable. Going from Medium to Large helped a little (I'm a medium with all my other headphones, so this is odd), but so far, the Comply Sport 500s have felt even better. I have some AZLA Sednaearfit TWS (ML) tips and they're too shallow to be any good (also a very tight fit on the stem). Pulling the pieces out with the stock M tips also seems like the silicone eartips fold up a little and graze my ear canals on the way out. I think these may be sitting too deep in my ears and either the silicone is brushing against something, or the inside ends of the headphones are irritating my ears.

Definitely check the Bluetooth settings on your device (Settings>Bluetooth>tap whatever name the Tempotec show up as>look for LDAC option). I forgot this was an option under each device and just assumed the Technics app handled that. I believe I had to do this with my XM4 but Sony at least called out that step.

May 15, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #45,403 of 62,476
Today I learned from a Chinese review on YouTube that a triple tap on the right earbud of the Beoplay EX initiates Siri. I hadn’t seen this mentioned in any of B&O’s product info, or any other reviews. I tried it, and it does indeed work, but you don’t always get the ‘ding’ that tells you that Siri is listening. Maybe that’s why it’s not a documented feature.

May 15, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #45,404 of 62,476
Now that I bought them, I'm sure reviews will be pouring out proclaiming MTW3 to be the best TWS ever, or for there to be a massive defect in the AZ60. :rolling_eyes:
I did not get to listen to them yesterday and hope to do so today to finish up my thoughts on them. I'm WFH the rest of the month so I'm not getting my usual commute/break time every day to listen. Getting the SpinFit tips from Amazon today and I hope they're comfortable. One thing I'll say is that I'm finding the stock eartips a little uncomfortable. Going from Medium to Large helped a little (I'm a medium with all my other headphones, so this is odd), but so far, the Comply Sport 500s have felt even better. I have some AZLA Sednaearfit TWS (ML) tips and they're too shallow to be any good (also a very tight fit on the stem). Pulling the pieces out with the stock M tips also seems like the silicone eartips fold up a little and graze my ear canals on the way out. I think these may be sitting too deep in my ears and either the silicone is brushing against something, or the inside ends of the headphones are irritating my ears.

Definitely check the Bluetooth settings on your device (Settings>Bluetooth>tap whatever name the Tempotec show up as>look for LDAC option). I forgot this was an option under each device and just assumed the Technics app handled that. I believe I had to do this with my XM4 but Sony at least called out that step.
I also did not like the stock ear tips, even after the, like, 37 pairs or whatever they provided. It's hard to say, but just somehow uncomfortable for me. I had some spinfit cp360s lying around and they are fine. I also usually use medium, but fwiw, I have one large + 1 medium on these, whereas I had 1 medium + 1 small on my Sony XM3s. So I guess these do veer towards large for some reason. But then I do not put much thought into tips, just pull out my little drawer-full and stop after whatever works.

May 15, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #45,405 of 62,476
I

Both are really good, the AZ60 have a few advantages like a smaller case and cheaper price. Speaking of SQ there just something about the sub-bass that the MTW3 can produce without drowing out the mids/highs...Fantastic!

But If I had to chose I'd go with the MTW3 :) And I do actually agree that the MTW3 are the best overall TWS at the moment, if you take everything into consideration and not just SQ. The AZ60 is a really close at 2nd spot as the best overall TWS tho, at least in my view.

I'll prob buy the next TWS that Technics releases, hopefully this year.

Attachments

• PXL_20220515_181802477.jpg
    PXL_20220515_181802477.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220515_181833423.jpg
    PXL_20220515_181833423.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back