Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 16, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #45,421 of 62,203
I spent about an hour using the Small tips on the AZ60 this time and still some soreness on the flat part of my concha, I think. The tips fit me just fine, but I'm wondering if the the raised area at the base of the stems, which is not covered by the eartips, is rubbing against the concha and causing the discomfort. The XS2 tips are too small to stay in place and didn't block sound effectively. I also tried the Medium CP360 and Comply 500 Sport foam again and still felt that discomfort. Anyone have any experience with this? This would be a dealbreaker for me, as much as I love the sound. I don't want them to be sticking out much further from my ears than necessary, otherwise they'll fall out.
The AZ60s are on the large side and do push the horizontal fit, and that gives you less leeway for the tips. The SpinFits are know for having a more flexible fit and though maybe small might help, it does seem like these just are not going to work in the long run. I think if I were in your position and able to return I'd try the Sennheiser MTW3.

May 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #45,422 of 62,203
I spent about an hour using the Small tips on the AZ60 this time and still some soreness on the flat part of my concha, I think. The tips fit me just fine, but I'm wondering if the the raised area at the base of the stems, which is not covered by the eartips, is rubbing against the concha and causing the discomfort. The XS2 tips are too small to stay in place and didn't block sound effectively. I also tried the Medium CP360 and Comply 500 Sport foam again and still felt that discomfort. Anyone have any experience with this? This would be a dealbreaker for me, as much as I love the sound. I don't want them to be sticking out much further from my ears than necessary, otherwise they'll fall out.
Same for me -- ear pain. Returned mine. Much happier with others. Great features, etc. New Sennies and the new B&O EX fit perfect. EX are just perfect. IMO better than the AZ60s, although you'll be paying a lot more esp. for the name. B&W PI7s fit great too.

May 16, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #45,423 of 62,203
FedEx just delivered new Astell & Kern UW100. Nice full soundstage. App is lacking, but the tuning is okay, better with the bass setting. No ANC, but ambient works well. Not as good as the SMTW3. Passive isolation is very good with the tips I’m using right now. Full touch controls that work well. Voice sounds decent with calls. Still tip rolling. Now, I have way too many buds. Ugh.
Following up here. These things are awesome. The soundstage is excellent, detailed, wide and powerful. Still going back and forth with my collection and comparing and contrasting as to where they stand. They do have multi-pairing. Didn't know that. Didn't see it listed anywhere. Wish they had a better EQ in the app but the bass emphasis mode setting is pretty damn good. If you're willing to pay the price, I'd definitely check these out. A lot of you guys know more about this stuff than me, but I really hear a difference with Knowles BAs and the DAC they're using in these. Honestly too, you don't need ANC. Passive isolation is great. Also, similar to how the Noble Fokus Pro charge a premium for their driver setup, with the A&K you are paying a big price for the better Knowles BA and their DAC. The case could be smaller (it's a tad bigger than the MTW3 case). The buds seem big when you look at them in photos, but fit really well. I'd say like the XM4 as far as how they stick out, but slide in and secure much better. Good stuff here. I'm truly enjoying them.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #45,424 of 62,203
Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #45,425 of 62,203
it is written straight on the homepage

however, the integrated aptx can just pride 30% of what ldac can do.

and remember multi point always means less quality as the bluetooth chip gets divided per source to receive data.
Thanks! They definitely added that after the fact. The box and manual make no mention of it! Huge selling point. They need to add stickers to the box or something. Either way, I'm happy.

I realize what you're saying though. That said, I'm on all Apple products here while working from home and/or also at the office, so anything more than AAC, Apple Lossless, etc. really doesn't affect me. My old ears can rarely hear a huge difference after all the metal I've listened to through the years.

May 16, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #45,426 of 62,203
Thanks! They definitely added that after the fact. The box and manual make no mention of it! Huge selling point. They need to add stickers to the box or something. Either way, I'm happy.

I realize what you're saying though. That said, I'm on all Apple products here while working from home and/or also at the office, so anything more than AAC, Apple Lossless, etc. really doesn't affect me. My old ears can rarely hear a huge difference after all the metal I've listened to through the years.
so seems to be that you found your perfect solution. happy to hear that.

May 16, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #45,427 of 62,203
so seems to be that you found your perfect solution. happy to hear that.
Nope, in the world of TWS, there's never a perfect solution as many of the folks here can attest to :triportsad: That's why we have a half dozen or more pairs :beerchug:. Very sad !

May 16, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #45,428 of 62,203
Nope, in the world of TWS, there's never a perfect solution as many of the folks here can attest to :triportsad: That's why we have a half dozen or more pairs :beerchug:. Very sad !
Boy, tell me about it :frowning2: Guess it'll be the MTW3 once I complete the return on these. The EX are a little out of my price range. I winced a bit when I bought the E8 3.0 a few years ago but they were still less than the EX.

May 16, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #45,429 of 62,203
Just received the new Phillips that erockg had mentioned a while back

They are the type that sit outside the ear so fit is an issue but found L Spiral Dots to do the trick and enhanced the bass

Controls are not typical as they are push and hold (1s,2s,etc) for some of the main ones and then 2x and 3x for others

Multipoint is seamless and worked flawlessly

Phone calls and Zoom sessions are really really good, including BT connection stability

Case is rather large but like the finish, construction and lid of it.

Good tip selection

20220516_182119.JPG

May 17, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #45,430 of 62,203
Posted this in another thread but felt it might be relevant here;

Sennheiser contacted me and I reviewed the 1st generation MTW. The MTW have, IMO, always had the best sound quality of the upper end TW available. The signature has always checked my box. Enter the TW2, continued on in the tradition and delivered the goods on sound quality, loved the app and the fit.

Now the #3.

I have some thoughts and impressions. This won't be extensive. Sound quality is great, just slightly better than the TW2 when I can find the sweet spot with the seal. Controls are much more sensitive on the TW3. Price reduction is a major thumbs up!

I enjoyed the app updates I saw with TW2, very similar to the TW3, but now registration is required is you want to use all of the features, minor inconvenience, but not sure why? Also, I only and always utilized the "high end sound tuning slider", great tuning. it is non-existent with the TW3. I don't use eq ever, but for those folks that do 3-sliders is actually worthless.

I need to add I also owned the CX, which is closer in fit to the TW3, but I think it was a hair larger. My issue with the TW3 is the fit. After trying all iterations, I have removed the fins, I would put them back on if I was working out. The L ear tip is always my go to, for comparison with my IEMs I use LL Final E tips (when I choose Final tips). With the nozzle length and design of the shell I need to work to achieve a seal on the TW3. Deep insertion is impossible. If there was a LL if it would be fine. Please don't recommend Comply tips, I won't even bother as I have never had good luck with them and don't like what they do to the sound. I have pulled both of my organizers filled with tips, but the Spinfit CP360 and the Final negatively impact the sound IMO.

The reason seal is critical on the TW3, as on my in-ears is for sound quality, to achieve the best bass response. It is even more critical to achieve proper seal with these because it effects more than SQ. Since this is a shallow fit monitor, pushing them in too far to achieve seal will ultimately block microphones and will cause you to sound muffled to the person you are speaking to on the other end. Seal is also completely necessary for ANC. If anyone is struggling with fit, but wants to try to make them work, make sure the bass boost slider is on in the EQ tab. Bass creates a natural isolation to outside noise.

This is not to discourage anyone, just my findings. My brother, who I made a Senn loyalist, has them as well and absolutely loves them

My 2 cents.

May 17, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #45,431 of 62,203
Grabbed a Creative BT-W3 for my iPhone, makes a big difference on everything I’ve tried with it so far. Not the most convenient setup at the moment (using the camera dongle) but worth it - will get a tidier lightning to USB C adapter at some point.

May 17, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #45,432 of 62,203

Sennheiser contacted me and I reviewed the 1st generation MTW. The MTW have, IMO, always had the best sound quality of the upper end TW available. The signature has always checked my box. Enter the TW2, continued on in the tradition and delivered the goods on sound quality, loved the app and the fit.

Now the #3.

I have some thoughts and impressions. This won't be extensive. Sound quality is great, just slightly better than the TW2 when I can find the sweet spot with the seal. Controls are much more sensitive on the TW3. Price reduction is a major thumbs up!

I enjoyed the app updates I saw with TW2, very similar to the TW3, but now registration is required is you want to use all of the features, minor inconvenience, but not sure why? Also, I only and always utilized the "high end sound tuning slider", great tuning. it is non-existent with the TW3. I don't use eq ever, but for those folks that do 3-sliders is actually worthless.

I need to add I also owned the CX, which is closer in fit to the TW3, but I think it was a hair larger. My issue with the TW3 is the fit. After trying all iterations, I have removed the fins, I would put them back on if I was working out. The L ear tip is always my go to, for comparison with my IEMs I use LL Final E tips (when I choose Final tips). With the nozzle length and design of the shell I need to work to achieve a seal on the TW3. Deep insertion is impossible. If there was a LL if it would be fine. Please don't recommend Comply tips, I won't even bother as I have never had good luck with them and don't like what they do to the sound. I have pulled both of my organizers filled with tips, but the Spinfit CP360 and the Final negatively impact the sound IMO.

The reason seal is critical on the TW3, as on my in-ears is for sound quality, to achieve the best bass response. It is even more critical to achieve proper seal with these because it effects more than SQ. Since this is a shallow fit monitor, pushing them in too far to achieve seal will ultimately block microphones and will cause you to sound muffled to the person you are speaking to on the other end. Seal is also completely necessary for ANC. If anyone is struggling with fit, but wants to try to make them work, make sure the bass boost slider is on in the EQ tab. Bass creates a natural isolation to outside noise.

This is not to discourage anyone, just my findings. My brother, who I made a Senn loyalist, has them as well and absolutely loves them

My 2 cents.
thanks for this short good review.

i am happy with my xm4 but consider to buy the tw3 or b&o ex. your insight helped me when comparing them closer.

May 17, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #45,434 of 62,203

Now the #3.

My 2 cents.
Thanks!

The word 'shallow fit' has me worried now .. for sure I will take a step back and not blindly order / buy them, but possibly hit up e-earphone to actually test the fit
It's funny that now that I actually live in Tokyo I find the train trip to my fave earphone store hasslesome (takes 55 minutes one way and costs 360Y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back