Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #45,451 of 62,306
Regarding my MTW3 fit problem, left ear, with noise/clipping when chewing/mouth movement.

The Fleixifit foam does help, but I have to say that ANC and sound quality aren't as good as with several silicon tips (and the original ones).

But... I found my ePro horn shaped tips for Airpods Pro, took them off the APP adapter and tried it. Worked well. Sadly they are size L, and a little too big.

I guess I don't get the "disturbance" in sound, because both the Flexifits and ePro are shorter/more shallow? (what word to use?) than most tips?
When using standard tips (Spinfit, JVC Spiral Dot, Final Audio , the original ones and so on), they go too deep in my ears, creating my problems.

Do you have some short/shallow tips to recommend? Or do I try the ePro Airpods in Mediums?

Edit: My friend tried them with the original size M. He had no noise/clipping or any other problem. So it has to be anatomical in my left ear. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #45,452 of 62,306
Thanks, but isn't this a common way to control volume on other TWS as well? Technics have the same controls and doesn't suffer from this issue. Maybe some sensitivity issue with touch controls? Senny can probably fix this
The CA Melomania Touch suffered the same issue. It wasn’t because I the way I handled it but just a super annoying bug.

May 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #45,453 of 62,306
I think the MTW3s would benefit from a larger outer deadzone like in the XM4s.

May 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #45,454 of 62,306
Misplaced my Sony Linkbuds last night. Hoping I just left it at the office (was rushing out last night because I was late for an event) but I do really miss them today. If they are not in the office tomorrow, I guess my next stop will be the closest store that carries them.

This got me thinking though that it would be great if TWS cases had Tile built in the same way Dell's new active stylus does. That way I would already know if they are in the office or if the tiny case just fell out of my pocket somewhere (in which case I would probably be using my new set by now). Still hoping I just left them at work. This is why you NEED multiple TWS (my wife took my Galaxy Buds Live for a run today so I have been "stuck" using my PI7s for calls today).

May 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #45,455 of 62,306
As an Android user (LG V30), I don't mind TWS that have only SBC. First of all, SBC at highest bitrate is almost as good as AAC and aptX, very small difference in fact:

http://soundexpert.org/encoders-320-kbps

And on Android, SBC actually offers more treble extension and 'air' than AAC, the latter of which may roll off as low as @14kHz on some phones:

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

IMO, driver quality and tuning are more important than codec support, so I don't mind having only SBC as long as the former are up to snuff.
On paper only. And just because the bitrate is better, doesn't make it sound better. It just means that more data can be passed through with less compression. The implementation is rarely good, and my ears tell me without having to look and see that SBC is not really near as good as AAC even, even though they have recently improved the codec itself.

Yes, SBC offers more treble extension, at the cost of tizzy sound. All of your facts are on point, but those don't tell you how good the quality of the sound will be. And in this case SBC is no longer considered an option with 95% of the people buying new gear (and for good reason).

I absolutely agree with your last statement. But, the sound you hear will only be as good as the worst part of your chain. I have actually done this test with both the Melomania Touch, and the Hifiman Deva, and they do NOT sound very good out of SBC; though if it were all you had, one could live with it. If you are happy with SBC only, then $70 for a pair that uses a codec that is from two decades ago, isn't a bad price at all.

May 18, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #45,456 of 62,306
As an Android user (LG V30), I don't mind TWS that have only SBC. First of all, SBC at highest bitrate is almost as good as AAC and aptX, very small difference in fact:

http://soundexpert.org/encoders-320-kbps

And on Android, SBC actually offers more treble extension and 'air' than AAC, the latter of which may roll off as low as @14kHz on some phones:

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

IMO, driver quality and tuning are more important than codec support, so I don't mind having only SBC as long as the former are up to snuff.
I did have this
1652901560605.png
and this
1652901624353.png
. The cheaper one doesn't have aptX though they are identical otherwise. For me there is a difference and the aptX one does sound a bit better as far as detail info and air. They have to do a good job on the driver. In fact this driver is 6mm and is also in the higher up Victor FX100T. I have had that one as well.

Good chance this new Victor will again have this 6mm driver. Hopefully it will be an improved version and not recycled. Hopefully it will be treated better like in the first Victor model. I like that E-Earphone review at least she says it seems to have some highs with some detail. The first Victor had high quality bass but a very smooth polite treble with details that were smoothed over. Certainly needed some EQ as it lacked air for my tastes. Less up high than the CKS50TW, Yamaha, Nuarl, Lavabeans, E16, and a couple of others.

I like my Lavabeans that only use SBC and AAC they run with more pricey stuff but they cost me ~$16 so that is almost $75 cheaper than the new Victor will cost including the Global shipping. I only use them with SBC and they can be very good with the right tips. I think they can do good job but like the cheaper sports model and lower models they leave off aptX when they are doing budget SQ or lowering SQ some. I really would like them to improve on the sound instead making sure it is lesser than the FXT100. That old thing should not dictate and they should try and match it plus tune better and not make sure it is worse than the first go around.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #45,457 of 62,306
Misplaced my Sony Linkbuds last night. Hoping I just left it at the office (was rushing out last night because I was late for an event) but I do really miss them today. If they are not in the office tomorrow, I guess my next stop will be the closest store that carries them.

This got me thinking though that it would be great if TWS cases had Tile built in the same way Dell's new active stylus does. That way I would already know if they are in the office or if the tiny case just fell out of my pocket somewhere (in which case I would probably be using my new set by now). Still hoping I just left them at work. This is why you NEED multiple TWS (my wife took my Galaxy Buds Live for a run today so I have been "stuck" using my PI7s for calls today).
Skullcandy does that.
1652904232830.png
. They plug that partnership quite a bit. Too bad they don't make any serious TWS. Ok but you might not actually care that you lost them. Might just be fine with it since you can go buy something better. :) So is this Tile/Skullcandly really the most worthwhile partnership? :thinking:

May 18, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #45,458 of 62,306
Skullcandy does that. . They plug that partnership quite a bit. Too bad they don't make any serious TWS. Ok but you might not actually care that you lost them. Might just be fine with it since you can go buy something better. :) So is this Tile/Skullcandly really the most worthwhile partnership? :thinking:
Interesting and agree with you there. Probably mostly marketing for that partnership. As I think about it more, my guess is that Sony would prefer that I not find my missing Linkbuds in hopes that I will just go buy a new one.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #45,459 of 62,306
Well I received my MTW3s today and after a firmware update I have to say I am disappointed. I have the MTW2 and to me they sound better. The MTW3s just sound muddy to me. I haven't played with the EQ yet so we will see. Another thing I noticed is to me they feel really cheap compared to my Beoplay EXs. I absolutely love the sound of the EXs, but I'm always interested in new stuff. Finally the tips are terrible, but they usually are. Another weird thing when I smile, I can feel the square edges in my ears. I will probably play with them a little more, but probably sending them back.

May 18, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #45,460 of 62,306
Two more days:
https://electronics.sony.com/audio/...MID=0&XID=E:709579:UUPAUDIEHPWFLS900PREORDER2

Maybe a bit too much on the auto adjusting thing. Just make them easy to control and we can switch to ambient or ANC when we want. Maybe if it isn't learning and adjusting to your behavior it could get more battery life than 6 hours. :) Surprised they do LDAC. Down to a 5mm driver and we now have DSEE Extreme.

@TK33 looks like you can find these Sony a bit more than original Linkbuds??
1652917848943.png

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #45,461 of 62,306
Well I received my MTW3s today and after a firmware update I have to say I am disappointed. I have the MTW2 and to me they sound better. The MTW3s just sound muddy to me. I haven't played with the EQ yet so we will see. Another thing I noticed is to me they feel really cheap compared to my Beoplay EXs. I absolutely love the sound of the EXs, but I'm always interested in new stuff. Finally the tips are terrible, but they usually are. Another weird thing when I smile, I can feel the square edges in my ears. I will probably play with them a little more, but probably sending them back.
I agree with this, MTW2 had a bit more treble. However, a couple people thought MTW3 sound too bright!
But then EX are also kinda dark sounding to me. Funny how we all experience audio differently.

I am looking forward to XM5 TWS as Sony did redesign the over the ears XM so let's see what they bring to TWS form. Not sure it will be released anytime soon however.

May 18, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #45,462 of 62,306

@TK33 looks like you can find these Sony a bit more than original Linkbuds??
1652917848943.png
Thanks. I see that in the original Linkbuds settings (under Android's Bluetooth Settings menu). Unfortunately, last known location only works if you were sharing location and location history is on. I had those settings turned off so it just says last known location unavailable and shows the last time they were connected. It is also only the last known location, not where it is currently (Tile shows more updated location info since it uses Bluetooth signals from other nearby Tile users). Also, in order to make them ring in Find Device, you have to be connected to the earbuds (you can choose to ring left or right but it is all grayed out if you are disconnected). I did retrace my steps back to the train station last night trying to reconnect just in case I did drop them on my way home (unlikely since I was not using them). Probably more useful if you drop them under a bed or on a plane or they fall out of your ear while in use. I found Samsung's implementation to be similar to Sony's as well. Not too useful if trying to find them while disconnected.

May 19, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #45,463 of 62,306
I agree with this, MTW2 had a bit more treble. However, a couple people thought MTW3 sound too bright!
But then EX are also kinda dark sounding to me. Funny how we all experience audio differently.

I am looking forward to XM5 TWS as Sony did redesign the over the ears XM so let's see what they bring to TWS form. Not sure it will be released anytime soon however.
I thought the 3s sounded better than the 2s but did sound more detailed than the 2s.

Also when Sony bring out there version 5s I would like to try them out but I will hope they get rid of them crappy foam tips as they just dont last.

May 19, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #45,464 of 62,306
I think I'll pass on the MTW3's, the 2's respond decently well to eq, so I'll pass on the 3's,

May 19, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #45,465 of 62,306
Anyone here got the

UGREEN HiTune X6?​

There is a fat 30% off coupon on local amazon right now and all I find via google seem to be bot generated reviews and youtubers I never heard of before :) Trust issues

Really don't need another cheapo set, then again ... i like getting packages from amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back