Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #5,418 of 5,506
Hey, thanks, man. I've been lurking these forums for a little less than a week now (lord knows how I hadn't found it earlier, knowing my Audiofile history), but I have never seen anyone mention the Xone's before I just did here. Very very solid cans. I used them to 'upgrade' from my ATH-M50's, and I actually prefer the Xone's. Amazingly tight bass response; much clearer mids/highs. They're technically DJ phones, but use them for producing and recreational listening, and they've gotten some serious mileage.

I recommend them quite a lot around here actually. They were my booth cans back when I was DJing. Easily one of the best choices for under 200 bucks. As you poke around more you'll see them mentioned every now and then.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #5,419 of 5,506
Hey Leon, welcome. I really don't think some of the stuff you said was thought out. You already hated the Beats before you tried them? I mean, everyone says they sound like crap, but until you try them you can't really know. And I actually like the Pros a lot, for a bassy headphone they don't actually ruin the mids or anything (highs could extend more, I suppose).Of course they suck for their price, but that doesn't make them bad. As for Best Buy, I think it's a good idea, but people might be kind of weary. Some people just don't want some stranger to tell them what to get. Our best intentions are often seen as rude by others.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #5,420 of 5,506

Quote:
I recommend them quite a lot around here actually. They were my booth cans back when I was DJing. Easily one of the best choices for under 200 bucks. As you poke around more you'll see them mentioned every now and then.

Well that's good to hear. Most of my classmates know I'm very music/headphone savvy and a few of them have asked for recommendations. I honestly tell them to invest in the same pair I have (XD-53's), but of course, once they hear the price they say forget it. A real bummer, but as I've read, some people prioritize spending money on other luxuries instead.

Quote:
Hey Leon, welcome. I really don't think some of the stuff you said was thought out. You already hated the Beats before you tried them? I mean, everyone says they sound like crap, but until you try them you can't really know. And I actually like the Pros a lot, for a bassy headphone they don't actually ruin the mids or anything (highs could extend more, I suppose).Of course they suck for their price, but that doesn't make them bad. As for Best Buy, I think it's a good idea, but people might be kind of weary. Some people just don't want some stranger to tell them what to get. Our best intentions are often seen as rude by others.

Going back and reading that, yeah, I realize I wasn't really clear on a number of things. I used to have a rather blind hatred for the Beats, based on reading terrible reviews and the fact people wasted so much money on them. I quickly found out that wasn't the way to go about things so I did extensive research on the cans to find out their specs and the difference between the different types, etc. Since then, I have been trying to explain to people 'You're paying $300 for a $60 headphone.' The fact that they're mostly just a status symbol instead of a great headphone still gets at me though.

As for the Best Buy thing, I always engage in casual conversation with them first and gauge whether I should bump in or not. Almost all the time, I end up having an awesome talk with them, and I'm certainly not one to go all preachy on someone else. So excuse my writing from before; I didn't mean to make it sound like I ran up to people and told them they were wrong for being uninformed and then ranting on and on about the best headphones there are.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5,422 of 5,506
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,423 of 5,506

Quote:

well i can't agree more with you sir !
wink_face.gif

but for now i think Seohyun vocal skill is already on par with Taeyeon
Her performance in several performances is unbelievably accurate and very stable along the performance
she is a robot indeed

P.S : sorry for reviving old topic,just find myself some time to get here again
tongue.gif

I will agree that Sohyun has shown the biggest improvement over the years. My impression is also that she is probably the smartest in the group, followed by Yoona (but that is unfounded, rather an observation).  As for vocal range, I don't know if she can ever get to where Taeyeon is. Just vocally speaking here.  Though I would agree that her singing ability has matched Taeyeon's. And of course, that comes from training as opposed to a natural gift.

Still, an unbelievable pop group by all means.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5,424 of 5,506
There are some friends who understand that the Beats aren't good, but there are also fanboys who start going against you immediately when you say a single bad thing about the Beats.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #5,425 of 5,506

Quote:
There are some friends who understand that the Beats aren't good, but there are also fanboys who start going against you immediately when you say a single bad thing about the Beats.

As with everything, I assume. People like collecting arguments for future hypothetical discussions. You see this in religious and political debates, people have their arguments already all lined up, just ready to verbally fire them. When I ask someone why they got a MacBook, they don't even think about it, their self-justification sense has kicked in long ago and they have already devised reasons why. When someone asks me why I pay so much for headphones I really don't know what to say.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,426 of 5,506

Quote:

When someone asks me why I pay so much for headphones I really don't know what to say.

Tell them it's like buying an expensive sports car. 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,427 of 5,506

Quote:
Tell them it's like buying an expensive sports car. 
wink.gif

Problem is, that's exactly the kind of thing I would consider excessive spending. Even with speakers it gets ridiculous. That's a good thing about headphones, you can have one of the best setups in the world for less than 10,000$, while in most other comparable hobbies that's nothing.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #5,428 of 5,506

Quote:

Problem is, that's exactly the kind of thing I would consider excessive spending. Even with speakers it gets ridiculous. That's a good thing about headphones, you can have one of the best setups in the world for less than 10,000$, while in most other comparable hobbies that's nothing.

Well a lot of things in life ARE excessive spending - do you NEED that $1000 TV?  That $300 pair of sneakers?  That $500 smartphone?  Heck do you even NEED that $30 steak for dinner (why not just spend 2 bucks on a can of SPAM)?  The answer would be "no" to ALL of them, but people still buy them because people get enjoyment out of them.  A headphone is no different - we headphone enthusiasts simply put our spending priorities differently on our hobby because we enjoy the usage we get out of them.  Just like people enjoy driving an expensive sports car, buying that pair of Nike sneakers, that 50inch TV in the lounge room, the newest iPhone etc.  If the person can afford it and it isn't preventing them from putting food on the table then it's their business and it's not for others to judge.  

I listen to my headphones more than I watch TV, in fact I watch maybe about 4 hours of TV a week at most, whereas I listen to headphones 4-5 hours a day, so I have no problems spending $1000 on headphones than $1000 on a TV - that's MY priority that no one else can judge.    

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5,429 of 5,506
I wouldn't buy 300$ sneakers, 500$ smartphones and 1000$ TVs. I've heard the "it's my money and no one can judge me" thing a lot. Why can't I judge you? Are these people somehow immune to external opinions? If someone has the freedom to spend money however they want, I have the freedom to have an opinion about it (or, you know, come online and write huge texts about it).

On a slightly more on-topic note, which one of you did this?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #5,430 of 5,506

Quote:
I wouldn't buy 300$ sneakers, 500$ smartphones and 1000$ TVs. I've heard the "it's my money and no one can judge me" thing a lot. Why can't I judge you? Are these people somehow immune to external opinions? If someone has the freedom to spend money however they want, I have the freedom to have an opinion about it (or, you know, come online and write huge texts about it).

It's only fair to judge others if you let others judge you.  I don't push my own spending values of my hobbies on others so I expect others don't push their spending values of their hobbies on me (eg I don't tell my friends that spending $100 on a designer T-shirt which is made in Cambodia and probably cost $2 in raw material is a waste, so I'd also expect them not to comment on my spending on hobby), it's simple as that because hobbies are by definition not necessary to living a life and thus have different values to different people.  There's only two exceptions here I can see; one is if someone is spending beyond their capacity to live and are actively harming others/family, then I think the line is crossed and we are then free to judge away.  Two is when the judging is made within the same hobby say when you are comparing money spent for different headphones or different cameras or different cars etc .  Otherwise everything is an apples to orange comparison.

Either way you are of course free to make the comments on forums too, after all we live in a world where we value freedom of speech (at least I hope we all do), but it just makes you look like a bit of a ********* in the process that's all. It's call courtesy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back