Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5,431 of 5,506
I think we have different concepts of judge. When I say I'm free to do it, what I actually mean is that I don't have a choice. I've met a lot of people in my life who say things like "I don't stereotype" like it's a decision you can make and follow. Stereotypes, and of course creating judgements and mental evaluations of everything around us, are mechanisms our body created to allow us to evolve and survive in the jungle. We saw a tiger, we judged/evaluated it as dangerous, we ran away, we lived to breed judgemental offsprings. Of course, that's no reason for me to go around throwing unrequested comments like "why would you spend so much on that?", but other than that, I can't stop myself from, well, judging. Hope I clarified what I meant.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5,434 of 5,506
Rumor says that the SMS sounds pretty decent. 

I've had an idea on the value of Beats headphones come up in my head today, and here's how it goes.

Image music as an uncooked chicken, and your headphones as the method of cooking and flavorings added. You can go to the best chef there is, and he can talk to you all day about how the 'natural' taste of chicken is the best, and that the only way to enjoy chicken is for the small flavors of the unaltered chicken to come out. Most consumers today aren't nearly as educated on music as cooks are to culinary arts. Your uncle can BBQ it to his preference, and you may think that it tastes amazing. Of course, the professional chef can rant on about how that's not how the chicken is supposed to taste, and that he's masking the true details of chicken by adding "colored" flavors. Beats are the coloring and spices, they are not true to the original file but the sound is quite attractive to most. 

Of course, there's other headphones with a bass boost like Beats, and of course, everyone on Head-Fi knows how much better they are. But say the Beats are like Tyson chicken, the king of poultry that you see everywhere, it's a familiar sight. When you enter a store, would you buy the small-brand chicken that you know nothing about? The wrappings on it seems a lot less attractive, and the employees would be constantly pushing you towards the Tyson. What normal person would skip on the main brand, go home, and do real research regarding the other brand that he knew nothing about?

My point is, you really can't hate on Beats. People love free marketing, and Beats definitely have the upper hand there, blame Senn. for the lack of attractiveness. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5,435 of 5,506
Every time my friends try to tell me the Beats headphones audio quality is good, all I can do is be nice and say they are good but overpriced (my friends own them, so I don't want to crush their thoughts that they made a good investment.) 

Recently, I showed people my portable rig, IEM, iPod Touch Generation 1, Silver Cable LOD, JDS Labs C421, and they state that it's bulky and not worth it.  :\  And the worst part, they all asked if my amp played OUT LOUD.  WHY, THE HORRORS!  IT'S NOT A SPEAKER FOR HEAVENS SAKE!

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #5,436 of 5,506
Still, overall, I would say that they are not that very good singers as much due to natural talent but as opposed to hours upon hours of practice.  Hell, majority of people can become singers of equal talent with 3-5 years of practice.  And if you want me to cite famous singers in Korean popular culture, I can.  

Quote:

well i can't agree more with you sir !
wink_face.gif

but for now i think Seohyun vocal skill is already on par with Taeyeon
Her performance in several performances is unbelievably accurate and very stable along the performance
she is a robot indeed

P.S : sorry for reviving old topic,just find myself some time to get here again
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5,438 of 5,506
Here we go...
Apparently they even sound worse than the Beats. I don't know, they haven't reached portugal and I'm not even sure they will before the headphone hype moves on. What were you using at the time, by the way?

I got to listen to the wired Sync at La Guardia and although I think they are ugly as all hell (I think the Beats at least look nice) they didn't sound anything like I expected. I had my V-80s around my neck and did a quick compare. Didn't have anywhere near the clarity, but it wasn't bloated with bass like I expected. Then again, I forgot that they feature a bass boost switch and I don't think it was turned on. They didn't sound bad. Recessed a bit, bass wasn't overpowering. I think the worst thing about them, besides price, is how ugly they are.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5,439 of 5,506

Quote:
I wouldn't buy 300$ sneakers, 500$ smartphones and 1000$ TVs. I've heard the "it's my money and no one can judge me" thing a lot. Why can't I judge you? Are these people somehow immune to external opinions? If someone has the freedom to spend money however they want, I have the freedom to have an opinion about it (or, you know, come online and write huge texts about it).

On a slightly more on-topic note, which one of you did this?

On a side note, why would you not spend a grand on a TV?

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #5,440 of 5,506

Quote:
Just saw this on the A State of Trance 550 FB photos...

I mean common, if you are one of the top DJ's, at least get proper headphones...

Oof. Seeing this hurt me a little. I mean, yeah, I completely agree. If you're gonna show up to A State of Trance, you're certainly not there to promote things sponsored by a Hip-Hop legend. Give this guy a light slap on the wrist and tell him to remember what genre he's DJing, ahah.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #5,441 of 5,506

Quote:
Oof. Seeing this hurt me a little. I mean, yeah, I completely agree. If you're gonna show up to A State of Trance, you're certainly not there to promote things sponsored by a Hip-Hop legend. Give this guy a light slap on the wrist and tell him to remember what genre he's DJing, ahah.

True. He could just go along with a Pioneer theme and wear some HDJ-2000, now that would be appropriate.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #5,443 of 5,506

Quote:
Well a lot of things in life ARE excessive spending - do you NEED that $1000 TV?  That $300 pair of sneakers?  That $500 smartphone?  Heck do you even NEED that $30 steak for dinner (why not just spend 2 bucks on a can of SPAM)?  The answer would be "no" to ALL of them, but people still buy them because people get enjoyment out of them.  A headphone is no different - we headphone enthusiasts simply put our spending priorities differently on our hobby because we enjoy the usage we get out of them.  Just like people enjoy driving an expensive sports car, buying that pair of Nike sneakers, that 50inch TV in the lounge room, the newest iPhone etc.  If the person can afford it and it isn't preventing them from putting food on the table then it's their business and it's not for others to judge.  

I listen to my headphones more than I watch TV, in fact I watch maybe about 4 hours of TV a week at most, whereas I listen to headphones 4-5 hours a day, so I have no problems spending $1000 on headphones than $1000 on a TV - that's MY priority that no one else can judge.    

I agree - although for me its what's worth it.

I wouldn't spend over £200 on earphones, and not really looking at spending over £400 on headphones.
I would spend over £1500 on a TV, even though I might use it less

It depends what is really value for money.

Quote:

Yup...his getting flamed on FB too LOL

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #5,445 of 5,506

Quote:

As with everything, I assume. People like collecting arguments for future hypothetical discussions. You see this in religious and political debates, people have their arguments already all lined up, just ready to verbally fire them. When I ask someone why they got a MacBook, they don't even think about it, their self-justification sense has kicked in long ago and they have already devised reasons why. When someone asks me why I pay so much for headphones I really don't know what to say.

It depends of the number of headphones you buy and the frequency. Personnally since i bought the M-80 i do not consider purchasing any other headphones in the future. I found my perfect companions with the Cowon X7 & V-Moda M-80.

People asking me why I would pay 150 € for a headphone, i tell them that i'll still have my headphones in four years while they'll have change of smartphones twice for 10 times the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back