Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5,447 of 5,506

Quote:
It seems like 4chan is Beats free. A lot of AD700 and HD5xx series there. Any thread with the Beats in /g/ seems to have been flamed to the ground.

I've noticed that they seem to think saying Beats suck makes them headphone wizards. Same with gaymen headsets. The default response:

>Beats

They're all over a couple of headphones, too. The 598, D2000, Portapro, M50, and a couple more I'm probably forgetting. A lot of the time their recommendations just suck. They'll do things like push the 598 on someone who listens to wants something portable for dubstep. That's why I post this, because they have no breadth and seem to like it a lot. What do you guys think?

http://pastebin.com/ZbPuSEJp

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5,448 of 5,506

Quote:
I was wondering this, too. 

On a side note, why would you not spend a grand on a TV?

I don't think 1,000$ is excessive for a TV, should have mentioned that. I said that I would never spend that much because I know very little about TVs and I'm pretty sure I can get something better than what's being sold in the major retailers for that price (i.e. they overcharge like crazy).

As for the tendency, at least it has become clear, from the 9gag thingy I posted, that the general opinion of Beats is our own: they are overpriced and heavily marketed with little value. Now who are we going to hate?

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,452 of 5,506

Sell them a projector...

Quote:
I remember a couple coming in (when i was working for LG, in Currys) and asking:
"what is the biggest TV you do here"
60", may i ask why?

Because our neighbours got a big TV and were bragging, so we want the biggest

:O

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5,453 of 5,506
Oof. Seeing this hurt me a little. I mean, yeah, I completely agree. If you're gonna show up to A State of Trance, you're certainly not there to promote things sponsored by a Hip-Hop legend. Give this guy a light slap on the wrist and tell him to remember what genre he's DJing, ahah.

The beats are really terrible to DJ with anyway. They are way to bulky to keep around your neck, and the pressure is exceedingly uncomfortable for long periods of time, to top that off, the swivel feature is just plain annoying. Isolation is good though. But I still prefer my SRH840's or my friends HD25's.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #5,454 of 5,506

Quote:

Well a lot of things in life ARE excessive spending - do you NEED that $1000 TV?  That $300 pair of sneakers?  That $500 smartphone?  Heck do you even NEED that $30 steak for dinner (why not just spend 2 bucks on a can of SPAM)?  The answer would be "no" to ALL of them, but people still buy them because people get enjoyment out of them.  A headphone is no different - we headphone enthusiasts simply put our spending priorities differently on our hobby because we enjoy the usage we get out of them.  Just like people enjoy driving an expensive sports car, buying that pair of Nike sneakers, that 50inch TV in the lounge room, the newest iPhone etc.  If the person can afford it and it isn't preventing them from putting food on the table then it's their business and it's not for others to judge.  

I listen to my headphones more than I watch TV, in fact I watch maybe about 4 hours of TV a week at most, whereas I listen to headphones 4-5 hours a day, so I have no problems spending $1000 on headphones than $1000 on a TV - that's MY priority that no one else can judge.    

Amen to that..

x10

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #5,455 of 5,506
But the thing is, it seems that a lot of people who are willing to go out and drop $1,000 on a tv, don't know anything about tvs and are easily swayed by salesmen. In my belief, if your spending over $200 on something you should do some research on it first.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5,456 of 5,506

Quote:
But the thing is, it seems that a lot of people who are willing to go out and drop $1,000 on a tv, don't know anything about tvs and are easily swayed by salesmen. In my belief, if your spending over $200 on something you should do some research on it first.

You have a valid point here. However, I would add/change that price factor actually shouldn't be that big of a variable factor when it comes to research. After all, what may seem justified by you to drop $200 on something might be relevant to how someone might view dropping $20 on something.  Priorities are sometimes confused with objectivity of the person's desire to own or have something, but realistically they're strongly bound and confounded by finance and financial status.  

For example, I struggle with just dropping $100 on a pair of headphones, and this is strongly correlated to my financial stance. My friend on the other hand, easily dropped $250 on a pair of headphones he liked.  And this is just it, as much as I would love to own a $250 headphone, and regardless of how much better they can be over the $100 ones, I still won't allow myself to buy them.

And likewise, that friend won't drop let's say $500 on a pair while another person who has more 'elastic' pocket size maybe fine with it.

That said, I think anyone who cares about their cash-flow should do research (heavy or mild) on pretty much anything that they're going to spend it on.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5,458 of 5,506

Quote:
You have a valid point here. However, I would add/change that price factor actually shouldn't be that big of a variable factor when it comes to research. After all, what may seem justified by you to drop $200 on something might be relevant to how someone might view dropping $20 on something.  Priorities are sometimes confused with objectivity of the person's desire to own or have something, but realistically they're strongly bound and confounded by finance and financial status.  

For example, I struggle with just dropping $100 on a pair of headphones, and this is strongly correlated to my financial stance. My friend on the other hand, easily dropped $250 on a pair of headphones he liked.  And this is just it, as much as I would love to own a $250 headphone, and regardless of how much better they can be over the $100 ones, I still won't allow myself to buy them.

And likewise, that friend won't drop let's say $500 on a pair while another person who has more 'elastic' pocket size maybe fine with it.

That said, I think anyone who cares about their cash-flow should do research (heavy or mild) on pretty much anything that they're going to spend it on.

The Beats are a good example. Middle-class kids spending 300$ on headphones. If they got the Beats let's be honest, they didn't do any research. And 300$ is a lot for a pair of headphones, we're used to seeing people buying 900$ pairs and 1,500$ amps, but 300$ is a lot for anyone outside Head-Fi to spend on something like this. And yet they do it with no more knowledge than what a Best Buy employee tells them. I have done way more research on IEM silicone tips that cost less than a dollar each than most Beats buyers.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5,459 of 5,506

Quote:

Point taken. Being only 15 and relying on my parents for stuff, I like to do my research for just about everything, rather it be a hockey stick, a tv, headphones, just about anything I "buy" (as in my parents buy :p).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back