Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Dec 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3,061 of 5,506

Quote:
It's Christmas time, yay! Beats galore. A friend of mine just posted a photo of his new Beats and... Well, quite frankly, what do I say to this?

Is this the new way of wearing Beats? No longer necklaces, but awesome hats! I apologize so much for my generation...

Silly boy, that way was here a long time ago. I see ignorant teenagers at my school do that all the time... In fact, I've never the guy who is known for having black Studios ever even have them on his ears. 

But yeah, he wore them like that. I feel like I want to punch some intelligent into all of the idiots at our school...

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #3,062 of 5,506

Quote:
Silly boy, that way was here a long time ago. I see ignorant teenagers at my school do that all the time... In fact, I've never the guy who is known for having black Studios ever even have them on his ears. 

But yeah, he wore them like that. I feel like I want to punch some intelligent into all of the idiots at our school...

Really? So it's everywhere now, then... It's so weird seeing all of these new styles of wearing headphones when they're not on your ears. I'm glad that if you have to take them off for a short period, you can put them on your neck or something, but if you're deliberately just wearing them out as a fashion statement, it's just downright stupid.
By the way, can you get rid of the picture? I edited my post to not have it because my friend didn't really want his picture out on the internet haha. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,063 of 5,506
I have to admit that in the past I've worn my headphones at my temples almost as much as I've worn them around my neck, whether at my desk, during foot commute, or behind my DJ rig. Hopefully because they weren't Beats I've successfully avoided looking like a d-bag. For what it's worth, Beats weren't out yet when I was doing this.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #3,064 of 5,506
It's amazing what a year and a half or so will do...

I work in athletics at a pretty expensive private college.  A guy on the lacrosse team got on the bus with a set of Beats when they first came out.  Everyone harrassed about spending $500 on a set of headphones.  He got mad and yelled "THEY WERE ONLY $250!"  Everyone then laughed and went back at him with "Only $250," "Must be nice to spend $250 on headphones," Spoiled rich kid," etc.  It was pretty hilarious.

Now, there's a ton of my athletes wearing them.  I guess it became cool to spend that much or something.   An assistant coach has a pair of what I think are Solo HD.  I asked him how they sound (just to see what he thinks), and he said "They're the best thing I've ever bought."   "They sound exactly how the music is supposed to sound."

Gotta love advertising slogans.  Reminds of hearing a guy asking about iPod speaker systems in the Apple store.   The guy asked which dock was the best.  The salesman suggested the B&W Zeppelin or Zeppelin Mini.  The customer said "But I get Bose, I get all their research and technology."   The salesman told him "Bose is only a name, don't believe everything a commercial tells you" and walked away.  I smiled at the customer and said "He's right."  The customer couldn't handle it and bought a Bose Sounddock anyway. Gotta love it.  

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,065 of 5,506
The salesman suggested the B&W Zeppelin or Zeppelin Mini.  The customer said "But I get Bose, I get all their research and technology."   The salesman told him "Bose is only a name, don't believe everything a commercial tells you" and walked away.  I smiled at the customer and said "He's right."  The customer couldn't handle it and bought a Bose Sounddock anyway. Gotta love it.  

That is such a perfect, beautiful illustration of how people respond to advertising and brand names.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3,066 of 5,506

Quote:

Really? So it's everywhere now, then... It's so weird seeing all of these new styles of wearing headphones when they're not on your ears. I'm glad that if you have to take them off for a short period, you can put them on your neck or something, but if you're deliberately just wearing them out as a fashion statement, it's just downright stupid.
By the way, can you get rid of the picture? I edited my post to not have it because my friend didn't really want his picture out on the internet haha. Thanks.

No problem. :)

My internet is being murdered because of the holidays apparently, so it takes a bit to load these pages...

Now, there's a ton of my athletes wearing them.  I guess it became cool to spend that much or something.   An assistant coach has a pair of what I think are Solo HD.  I asked him how they sound (just to see what he thinks), and he said "They're the best thing I've ever bought."   "They sound exactly how the music is supposed to sound."

Yeah, I always find it intriguing when tech reviewers say that the Beats are completely neutral, so they reproduce the music how it was supposed to sound. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,067 of 5,506
The B&W Zep sounds sooo good. I was blown away that an iPod dock sounded that way. Think it's priced a bit too high though.

Quote:
It's amazing what a year and a half or so will do...

I work in athletics at a pretty expensive private college.  A guy on the lacrosse team got on the bus with a set of Beats when they first came out.  Everyone harrassed about spending $500 on a set of headphones.  He got mad and yelled "THEY WERE ONLY $250!"  Everyone then laughed and went back at him with "Only $250," "Must be nice to spend $250 on headphones," Spoiled rich kid," etc.  It was pretty hilarious.

Gotta love advertising slogans.  Reminds of hearing a guy asking about iPod speaker systems in the Apple store.   The guy asked which dock was the best.  The salesman suggested the B&W Zeppelin or Zeppelin Mini.  The customer said "But I get Bose, I get all their research and technology."   The salesman told him "Bose is only a name, don't believe everything a commercial tells you" and walked away.  I smiled at the customer and said "He's right."  The customer couldn't handle it and bought a Bose Sounddock anyway. Gotta love it.  

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #3,068 of 5,506

Quote:
The B&W Zep sounds sooo good. I was blown away that an iPod dock sounded that way. Think it's priced a bit too high though.

yeah it was too high for me also...which puts it in the same realm as beats. good, but not worth the price

and yes...my internet is getting slautered too. download isn't affected by server load times....wow. especially a bit of lag on reddit and imgur

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3,069 of 5,506

Quote:

I think Bowers & Wilkins make some nice sounding products, but IMHO, their products are extremely beautiful and they are very good at marketing, which makes their prices a little higher than they really are worth.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #3,070 of 5,506
Not called out but a frustrating and very typical post-Christmas conversation on Facebook.

Friend:
Got Studio beats today, couldn't be happier :)
3 people like this.

Random guy:
Detox is better

Friend:
So it's better than nothing

Random guy:
what an idiot ^

Ignorance is bliss. This is one of SEVERAL conversations like this. Most are Beats but you've got the Bose ones as well. Sigh...

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #3,072 of 5,506
I have good news after all these beats christmas horror storeis

so today we had a Xmas party, a couple close families came over, and so after a while music came up, after a bit of talking, i bring out the HFI 580's and my Macbook Pro( my E5 is broke, and the DAC and amp inside is pretty good) and i put on songs that they know. especially hotel california @ 5000kbps+
They were all wowe'd and before it was over, in 30 minutes of starting the listening experience aroud the whole table and what not, They both bought a pair, without me even asking or even nudging towards buying it :)

The HFI 580's just fit all their tastes and is amazingly cheap @ $118 on BH :) 
best part is, one of the families that got one is going to return the $150 Bose he got for this one :) Mission Acomplished!
gs1000.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3,073 of 5,506

Quote:
I have good news after all these beats christmas horror storeis

so today we had a Xmas party, a couple close families came over, and so after a while music came up, after a bit of talking, i bring out the HFI 580's and my Macbook Pro( my E5 is broke, and the DAC and amp inside is pretty good) and i put on songs that they know. especially hotel california @ 5000kbps+
They were all wowe'd and before it was over, in 30 minutes of starting the listening experience aroud the whole table and what not, They both bought a pair, without me even asking or even nudging towards buying it :)

The HFI 580's just fit all their tastes and is amazingly cheap @ $118 on BH :) 
best part is, one of the families that got one is going to return the $150 Bose he got for this one :) Mission Acomplished!
gs1000.gif

Well. There's one life goal. Convince someone to sell there beloved Bose for a pair of good sounding headphones. Power to you, my friend! 
L3000.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,074 of 5,506

Quote:
Well. There's one life goal. Convince someone to sell there beloved Bose for a pair of good sounding headphones. Power to you, my friend! 
L3000.gif

This was talked about here about how BOSE is so engrained in people's heads..i just saw it today. The family friend with the BOSE. clearly liked the HFI 580's but was so perplexed...on what was wrong with his Bose :)

I was of course almost about to go into good audio files, amping, and how this isn't for everyone..but decided against it :)
THE HFI 580's cover most ground for anyone really. Especially non audiophiles. The bass isn't overwhelming when you don't need it to be but is clearly present and pounds when you need to. the trebles are extremely nice and the highs' are good and aren't harsh :) and there is no annoying sibilance that you find on monitor headphones (*Shure's *cough cough cough*) Overal, add in the fact that I got them for $118 with free 3 day shipping and just how easy they are to amp(even easier than SRH 440's) they are a winner in my book..really $118 for these things? i call steal, of course i made sure to let them all test for a while to see if they prefer the S-Logic sound. they do :)

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #3,075 of 5,506
and there is no annoying sibilance that you find on monitor headphones (*Shure's *cough cough cough*)

The Ultrasone Pro 900 was absolutely the most sibilant headphone I've heard in my entire life, and that includes cheap $5 headphones for comparison. It literally screeched so bad it gave me a physical headache and pain, and my ears were ringing for a while after I took them off.

The Shure SRH940 is probably the least sibilant non-laid-back headphone I've heard, with among the smoothest highs (15khz+) I've ever heard, period.

Interesting how according to you this reverses for the lower end models of the respective companies. I'm not saying your assessment is wrong, just that you should be careful when generalizing the sound of a single headphone to an entire brand. Otherwise I'd think Sennheiser (HD201...) is absolute crud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back