Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,366 of 5,506

Quote:
Upcoming christmas season spending frenzy : 

new Monster Audio FULLHD BEATS by Dr.Dre ! Experience sound in FULL HD and 3D ! 
experience sound in 192Khz/64bit sound ! price $500

Funny you mention Christmas. I found 90% of beats owners had them after Christmas and they were gone after 2 months. What does that tell you about their durability?

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #1,367 of 5,506
It looks pretty durable. I've only tried the in-ears and they were average, nothing special. Looking to get Fostex T50RP. They're cheaper than my Senns HD438s but much harder to find :x

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,369 of 5,506

Quote:
ED8 is way too expensive for hipsters
wink.gif

+1

Quote:
Help me out here, what's the big deal? Who gets "called out" for headphone selection outside of the august halls of this mental institution?
tongue_smile.gif
I'm serious, I recently traveled by plane for the first time in awhile and I saw the person in front of me wearing Bose QC2s. My first thought wasn't "the fool, he's wearing BOSE, haha, the DT-990s in my carry-on sound so much better!" My first thought was "I wish I had some of those, they're small enough and have great noise cancellation, I could be using them right now instead of going slightly deaf trying to turn up so I could hear over the engine."

I didn't even bother with the DT-990s on any other flight. Maybe next time I fly I'll bring my 770s. Or maybe I'll get some QC2s, they seem to really nail the small, unobtrusive, comfortable, functional task they're aimed at quite well.

With Beats, again, what's the big deal? OH NO, a whole generation of people listening to the wrong headphones, I need to see to it personally that this young man is exposed to an orthodynamic, stat!... I mean, really, it's kind of condescending, isn't it? Clearly people are still buying all kinds of headphones, let people who like Beats and Bose listen to their stuff, save yourself some unnecessary hypertension. I think we worry way too much about what other people are doing.

And on the flip side, if someone is actually enough of an arse to "call you out" for not wearing Beats, do you have to be right according to them, or can you manage being right according to you? I think the latter's enough for something as subjective as sound, isn't it?

I agree that Head-Fiers tend to be overdo it upon hearing people buying a Beats headphone but I think it's a general consensus here that for the price, their sound quality does not hold up well against other brands/headphones in the same price-range. That plus the incredible marketing for Bose and Beats are the main reasons why we tend to be uneasy about the everyday/common headphone market since you can find better sounding 'phones in the same price-range...you just have to look around the right places.

I've been "called out" before for wearing my Skullcandy Hesh 'phones at school. Sure, the Skullcandy Hesh 'phones aren't that great to begin with (although I did get them on sale for $25), but comparing them to $300 headphones isn't a fair comparison to begin with.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,375 of 5,506

Quote:
Yep, Hipsters = Grado (due to ironically seeing them on their favourite TV shows) and TMA-1s stereotypically for headphones.
Beats Pro is much improved on the original Dr. Dre Beats and measures well too but it still overpriced.

I don't even watch tv these days, but I'm curious what shows are they on?

Quote:
Same here. Waiting for T50rps.

But 50USD shipping price... 

They're about $100 in Canada, assuming you can find them.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,376 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Help me out here, what's the big deal? Who gets "called out" for headphone selection outside of the august halls of this mental institution? 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm serious, I recently traveled by plane for the first time in awhile and I saw the person in front of me wearing Bose QC2s. My first thought wasn't "the fool, he's wearing BOSE, haha, the DT-990s in my carry-on sound so much better!" My first thought was "I wish I had some of those, they're small enough and have great noise cancellation, I could be using them right now instead of going slightly deaf trying to turn up so I could hear over the engine."

I didn't even bother with the DT-990s on any other flight. Maybe next time I fly I'll bring my 770s. Or maybe I'll get some QC2s, they seem to really nail the small, unobtrusive, comfortable, functional task they're aimed at quite well.

With Beats, again, what's the big deal? OH NO, a whole generation of people listening to the wrong headphones, I need to see to it personally that this young man is exposed to an orthodynamic, stat!... I mean, really, it's kind of condescending, isn't it? Clearly people are still buying all kinds of headphones, let people who like Beats and Bose listen to their stuff, save yourself some unnecessary hypertension. I think we worry way too much about what other people are doing.

And on the flip side, if someone is actually enough of an arse to "call you out" for not wearing Beats, do you have to be right according to them, or can you manage being right according to you? I think the latter's enough for something as subjective as sound, isn't it?

NotJeffBuckley, I do agree with you on the most part, but, I wonder; have you ever had to deal with the sheer arrogance that is attached to Beats owners/advocates. Seriously, several of my friends are Beats lunatics and they literally won't hear a word against them. They refuse point blank to accept that there is anything better. To say that their attitudes are infuriating is an understatement.

I show them my main rig and the answer is "Beats are better," I show them some music on my Linns and the answer is "Can you turn the bass up?" and "The speakers are nice... to have in the background, I wouldn't listen to music on them." (!!!)

This particular friends ideal sound signature consists of (and this is actually what he said) "Mental loud bass that is as distorted as possible, with enough midrange to hear 50 Cent and no treble." And of course he can never shut up about how "[He] tried the Solo HDs yesterday and the bass blew [his] head off."

On a side note, another friend who has several Bose systems in his house has an excellent point of view: "I couldn't give a screw about the brand, I like how they sound." Go figure, eh? 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,377 of 5,506
We must all thank Monster for selling Beats Audio for huge profit for retailers. If B&H didn't sell them enough I wouldn't have been able to get my MDR-V6 from B&H so such low low price !!! so, long live non-audiophile hipsters !!!

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #1,379 of 5,506
Quote:
+1

I agree that Head-Fiers tend to be overdo it upon hearing people buying a Beats headphone but I think it's a general consensus here that for the price, their sound quality does not hold up well against other brands/headphones in the same price-range. That plus the incredible marketing for Bose and Beats are the main reasons why we tend to be uneasy about the everyday/common headphone market since you can find better sounding 'phones in the same price-range...you just have to look around the right places.

I've been "called out" before for wearing my Skullcandy Hesh 'phones at school. Sure, the Skullcandy Hesh 'phones aren't that great to begin with (although I did get them on sale for $25), but comparing them to $300 headphones isn't a fair comparison to begin with.

No argument that they're overpriced relative to superior sounding competition, but I don't get where the boatloads of give a crap about the issue are coming from. It just seems like the most positively inconsequential thing.

THAT MAN PREFERS AN INFERIOR LUXURY COMMODITY! STOP HIM!

Is the sanctity of opinion such that we allow things to become fetishes, tools and toys to become weapons in a meaningless idea-war? It seems only a poverty of confidence inspires such a silly conflict, some deep-rooted insecurity that puts an individual in the boring and vulnerable position of defending his or her participation in a different brand of mass consumer action.

Remember the stakes (none). Folks should probably just relax a little more. Think what you think, freely; speak when it matters, and take at least a little bit of care in that determination, yeah? I'm just saying, of all the things to get arsed about, man...

Quote:

NotJeffBuckley, I do agree with you on the most part, but, I wonder; have you ever had to deal with the sheer arrogance that is attached to Beats owners/advocates. Seriously, several of my friends are Beats lunatics and they literally won't hear a word against them. They refuse point blank to accept that there is anything better. To say that their attitudes are infuriating is an understatement.

I show them my main rig and the answer is "Beats are better," I show them some music on my Linns and the answer is "Can you turn the bass up?" and "The speakers are nice... to have in the background, I wouldn't listen to music on them." (!!!)

This particular friends ideal sound signature consists of (and this is actually what he said) "Mental loud bass that is as distorted as possible, with enough midrange to hear 50 Cent and no treble." And of course he can never shut up about how "[He] tried the Solo HDs yesterday and the bass blew [his] head off."

On a side note, another friend who has several Bose systems in his house has an excellent point of view: "I couldn't give a screw about the brand, I like how they sound." Go figure, eh? 
rolleyes.gif

I don't know the dynamics of you and your buds, but it seems like there's an equal playing field here - they won't hear a word against them necessarily requires that you attempt words against them, they refuse point blank to listen to criticism necessarily requires that you critique. I just don't get the point at which it becomes something to dig foxholes and exchange fire over. It's no wonder there's so much violence and death in the world if we'll lambaste our friends and receive the same treatment over something as small as this, you know?

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,380 of 5,506
I bought them from B&H for $69 plus a couple of other recording gears , everything below retail price - so thank you Beats Audio buyers. I don't think the V6 exists in any store in south east asia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back