Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,384 of 5,506
Hi Daniel.

Quote:
Before knowing price: "Wow, this may be a good contender to some good headphones out there."

After knowing price: D: D: D: D:

They wouldn't give a synonym-for-poop.

Quote:
I'm not going to lie...I'm going to wonder what kids will say when they see me walking around with my ATH - M50's on when I start College. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #1,386 of 5,506

Quote:
I'm not going to lie...I'm going to wonder what kids will say when they see me walking around with my ATH - M50's on when I start College. 

Most (I mean 99.9%) won't even know what they are.  Unless you wearing Beats, doubt you gonna get any compliments.  I see quite a bit of M50s around my campus and I don't think most of the wearers are audiophiles, most likely just informed consumers.  The only thing that has stood out were a pair of TF10s and I said nice TF10s while walking by. 

Probably the nicest thing I've seen in campus were some DT770 manufaktur (or however you spell it).  Besides that, nothing special...I know **** well there are plenty of other spoiled students out there, but so far nothing high end.  Would blow my mind if I see another person with a HiFiMan DAP. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #1,387 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They wouldn't give a synonym-for-poop.

You're prob. right. 

Quote:
Most (I mean 99.9%) won't even know what they are.  Unless you wearing Beats, doubt you gonna get any compliments.  I see quite a bit of M50s around my campus and I don't think most of the wearers are audiophiles, most likely just informed consumers.  The only thing that has stood out were a pair of TF10s and I said nice TF10s while walking by. 

Probably the nicest thing I've seen in campus were some DT770 manufaktur (or however you spell it).  Besides that, nothing special...I know **** well there are plenty of other spoiled students out there, but so far nothing high end.  Would blow my mind if I see another person with a HiFiMan DAP. 

Well I'm glad 99.9% won't care 
biggrin.gif
. Well then again, almost the whole baseball/basketball team at the high school i graduated from had Beats and they thought they were the ShEZz! But I am excited to start College 
beerchug.gif
! (If you know what I mean lol)

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,388 of 5,506

Quote:

At the end of last semester I commended a bloke in the computer lab for sporting some ATH-M50s. So if you get lucky you'll meet a fellow audiophile. 

So far the list of good headphones I have spotted at school have been limited to 2 pairs of Grado (one 225i and one 325i), ATH-M50, and the occasional Aviator (yes I consider the Aviators good). Every other "high end) (read expensive) headphone (save my TMA-1s or HJE900s) are Beats, but there was one with Mix Master Mikes. I don't bother anymore. I'm happy enough that most of my friends consult me about headphones. 

That and I have a lovely friend who is a fellow head-fier (whose collection is making me sad because I haven't the money at the moment to build mine :frowning2:). I hope I can catch up to her one day....  

Back to the topic at hand. 

I still feel that unless an inquisition was directed at me, I don't seek out Beats lovers. I do however feel really horrible when people ask me "How are the Beats" and are shocked when I tell them that they are NOT the best headphones around. I feel equally bad when they are dumbfounded by name drops of the likes of Sennheiser, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Audio-technica, and Ultrasone to name a few. Though, living in NYC, people love to hear that Grado is made in Brooklyn. Though I have to say... people's reactions are always "What? Really? No way.... Surely they are just designed and developed in Brooklyn and manufactured in China."  

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #1,389 of 5,506

Quote:
You're prob. right.
   Well I'm glad 99.9% won't care 
biggrin.gif
. Well then again, almost the whole baseball/basketball team at the high school i graduated from had Beats and they thought they were the ShEZz! But I am excited to start College 
beerchug.gif
! (If you know what I mean lol)

You'll be seeing a lot more Beats around in college.  Try starting an audiophile club!  And as for academics, really try to know a 3rd year!!!  I was told this before college and never thought it was that important.  Once I became a 3rd year, I realized that was the best tip I ever got.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,390 of 5,506

Quote:
I don't know the dynamics of you and your buds, but it seems like there's an equal playing field here - they won't hear a word against them necessarily requires that you attempt words against them, they refuse point blank to listen to criticism necessarily requires that you critique. I just don't get the point at which it becomes something to dig foxholes and exchange fire over. It's no wonder there's so much violence and death in the world if we'll lambaste our friends and receive the same treatment over something as small as this, you know?

See, the thing is, I didn't actually say a word against the Beats to my friends. For example, if I suggest a nice pair of portables, i.e. Audio Technica ATH-ES7, their immediate retort is "Beats are better." See, here in Scotland at least, Beats fans immediately go on the defensive; I've never actually said that they outright are bad headphones. It's the fans which sets the Beats as a benchmark to which some other "inferior" headphone should be compared to, often ignoring what they are hearing in attempt to justify what some set their entire lifestyle and belief by. And since we are straying far off topic here, yes I have been called out on several occasions for deviating from the incomprehensibly "better," and "cooler" norm. 
frown.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,391 of 5,506
That sucks, I'm sorry that your friends can't find it in themselves to respect your preferences. Real jerk move on their part... How much does it bother you, though? Do you let it it get on your nerves, or can you blow it off like they would if you laid into them about Beats being overpriced for their performance?

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,392 of 5,506

Quote:
I tried, unsuccessfully, to tell a beats owner that they WERE NOT the best headphones in the world. I let him listen through his studios, and then a pair of LCD-2's. He tried to plug the LCD-2's directly into his 4gb ipod, and he started saying these were the worst headphones ever because the plug is too big 
rolleyes.gif
 I called over my friend who had lent me the LCD-2's and had him bring over a Benchmark DAC-1, and a schiit Lyr. Plugged in his ipod with a Silver LOD and let him listen through there. I'm pretty sure there was a tear in his eye.

Hahaha that was the best story I heard this month

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,393 of 5,506

Quote:
Nobody frowns upon me, I frown upon others wearing beats lol.

Most of them are white little rich kids and every time i feel like smacking them in the face, taking their beats, and selling them.

I dont really mind the fact that they wasted their money( since its not my money )but i hate the whole hipster cliche that revolves around them. You have to be pretty ballsy to wear expensive earphones around your neck where i live, especially if your a scrawny nerd with tons of money. I'm normally a chill layed back guy but if i was in the right place in the right time I would lay that kid i saw in fred meyer out and take his beats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management

Unless you were trying to impress someone, in which case insert coin to try again.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,394 of 5,506
Oh and by the way: I just got back from a huge music festival. 5 days of mediocre music. Anyway, it's in the middle of Portugal, in August, so it's really hot, there's dust everywhere, and I actually saw a guy wearing some Solos. This means nothing to you of course, but if you saw that place... I wouldn't bring anything worth over 50$ there! I just don't get how much attention do these guys want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back