Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4,652 of 5,506

Quote:
My manager ragged on me for not wearing Beats. He let me listen to them, and they sounded awesome! Of course all I had to compare them to were my $10.00 sony clip ons. I bought Studio Beats, and then did the research. I'm already regretting it, and am considering the Audio-Technica H50's as a low cost alternative. PM me with other suggestions in the $150.00 price range if you don't mind.

ALWAYS do your research.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #4,653 of 5,506

Quote:
Other than that...  Let's just say that there are 3 schools of thought about this one:

1. Those who follow Strict science about the Technology
2. Those who believe that more expensive and brand name cables will automatically perform better (and convince themselves of it)
3. Those who actually let their eyes and ears make the judgement call and decide whether it's worth spending $50 - $60 on a cable as opposed to a $10 one.

And 2 of those are fundamentally flawed. Though, I guess it could be argued that a perceived difference is just as good as any real difference.

As for stuff like durability, most people aren't going to need anything special, It's not like HDMI cables regularly get exposed to some form of abuse. The monoprice cables are actually decent in terms of build quality, so it's not like cheap cables means fragile cables. Plus, you can always buy a few extras as spares and still be saving money.

Quote:
Well, previously being the antagonist of derailing this thread from Beats bashing to HDMI discussion, the less we argue about that point, the better it serves everyone.  I wasn't trying to be rude, really I wasn't, just wanted to make that point firm.. We're not discussing whether Earth Has gravity or that it is round as opposed to being a square shaped.  Those are empirical foundations that were seen, observed and proved.  The HDMI technology is not at that point where scientific claims can encompass every single aspect of the digital world.  And the biggest support to this claim is the constant iterations of those Cables (i.e. versions over the years.) If all of a sudden a new HDMI comes out that adheres to higher display standard... that means that it's a higher quality cable then the previous one. ..  period. 

1) I have yet to see any reasonably consistent evidence against the idea that there is no perceivable difference between cables. Nothing. Individual claims are far from consistent or reliable.
2) A change in standard with the addition of features is not exactly the same concept as comparing 2 cables from the same standard. It's not like the "high quality" cables are meeting next generation standards. The "high end" cables still have to go through revisions to meet the new standards.

Like you, I'm not trying to drive the thread off topic, and I apologize in advance for doing exactly that. It's just ridiculous to make claims without providing any sort of evidence to back it up. I think this is especially when it could be misleading other members to throw their money away on something unnecessary. The next time you feel like suggesting there is a difference, please provide some reasonably sound evidence.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #4,654 of 5,506
The HDMI technology is not at that point where scientific claims can encompass every single aspect of the digital world. 

You have no idea what you're talking about. As someone said, when you say things misleading others to waste money, this is why I feel the need to post off-topic to dispute your claim. I don't think you fully realize how fully understood HDMI cables and other digital cables are.  Do you realize your saying "HDMI technology is not fully understood" is like saying "Automobiles are not fully understood -- we build them, but we don't truly understand what makes them go -- there's some magic that goes on inside the engine that nobody really understands at all so don't tell me that spraying perfume on my tires can't get me extra gas mileage."

An argument from ignorance is no argument at all. To me, as someone who works in the area you refer to (computer video), your argument is just so astoundingly ignorant of the truth I don't even know where to start a response. It's like if you saw someone saying "The earth is flat and the sun rises because of magic!" -- that's SO vastly uneducated you can't just say a simple sentence for them to understand, there's a profound gap of education that is lacking and no matter what you say in a few sentences, they're still going to think the world is flat.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #4,655 of 5,506

Quote:
The HDMI technology is not at that point where scientific claims can encompass every single aspect of the digital world. 

You have no idea what you're talking about. As someone said, when you say things misleading others to waste money, this is why I feel the need to post off-topic to dispute your claim. I don't think you fully realize how fully understood HDMI cables and other digital cables are.  Do you realize your saying "HDMI technology is not fully understood" is like saying "Automobiles are not fully understood -- we build them, but we don't truly understand what makes them go -- there's some magic that goes on inside the engine that nobody really understands at all so don't tell me that spraying perfume on my tires can't get me extra gas mileage."

An argument from ignorance is no argument at all. To me, as someone who works in the area you refer to (computer video), your argument is just so astoundingly ignorant of the truth I don't even know where to start a response. It's like if you saw someone saying "The earth is flat and the sun rises because of magic!" -- that's SO vastly uneducated you can't just say a simple sentence for them to understand, there's a profound gap of education that is lacking and no matter what you say in a few sentences, they're still going to think the world is flat.

Quote:
And 2 of those are fundamentally flawed. Though, I guess it could be argued that a perceived difference is just as good as any real difference.

As for stuff like durability, most people aren't going to need anything special, It's not like HDMI cables regularly get exposed to some form of abuse. The monoprice cables are actually decent in terms of build quality, so it's not like cheap cables means fragile cables. Plus, you can always buy a few extras as spares and still be saving money.

1) I have yet to see any reasonably consistent evidence against the idea that there is no perceivable difference between cables. Nothing. Individual claims are far from consistent or reliable.
2) A change in standard with the addition of features is not exactly the same concept as comparing 2 cables from the same standard. It's not like the "high quality" cables are meeting next generation standards. The "high end" cables still have to go through revisions to meet the new standards.

Like you, I'm not trying to drive the thread off topic, and I apologize in advance for doing exactly that. It's just ridiculous to make claims without providing any sort of evidence to back it up. I think this is especially when it could be misleading other members to throw their money away on something unnecessary. The next time you feel like suggesting there is a difference, please provide some reasonably sound evidence.

Soooooo from an objective perspective (through scientific consensus), is there any reason to buy a rocketfish or Monster HDMI cable instead of one that I could get at the local computer store for $5?

I have compared a rocketfish cable to a $11 one actually and I found that the image from the rocketfish cable was slightly oversharpened, though I had plugged it into a different HDMI port on the same TV so I'll never know whether it's the port or the cable that cause it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #4,658 of 5,506

Quote:

Are you really going to derail this thread with this none sense ?

It is under your opinion that my argument is of ignorance, though I disagree and that's all there is to it.  

Like I said before, there are several schools of thought about this, and it so happens that you belong to the scientific one. Myself, I go under the scope of research, but also judge things with my own eyes and ears.  So on that topic, which I hope we don't get back to, I personally saw and heard the difference. It wasn't perceived and it wasn't anticipated. And it wasn't a single occurrence, rather a multiple one.  You guys ask for proof, well there really isn't one I can offern unless somehow we meet together for that specific experiment.

However, ac500, whether you agree or disagree, it's my choice in what I choose to believe in and accept.  And I think you're crossing the line again for lecturing me and pinning on me the 'misleading to get people to waste money', label.   A while ago you chose to express your opinion that the beats studios sound like $5.00 throw away cheapO headphones.  Now, as this scenario is actually different than my hdmi experience, the concept memtality you employed at your defense, I shall employe it here as mine.  You stated in your defense that you were expressing your opinion and that I shouldn't criticize you for it; despite the fact that what you claimed was a blatant misleading remark. 
Clearly you haven't done a lot of research. There is quite a bit of discussion in regards to the hdmi issue. The overpowering consensus follows the science approach, but countless, and I mean countless report seeing and hearing differences.  Are they all placebo-ing??  

So to that point, I'm not forcing nor telling anyone to waste money. If I don't consider experimpending a waste, then certainly it's not telling anyone to waste anything.

Let's leave the hypocrisy and this issue aside. I won't sway you and you won't sway me either. However, don't go on telling me what to post and what not to post when you clearly do as you wish in that regard.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4,659 of 5,506

He was their big celebrity name for the Mixr. He helped design them. To be honest...On look he did a great job. I do want to hear them evenutally.

Quote:
I noticed David Guetta sporting the mixrs last night on the Grammys.

Also, come on guys...This HDMI thing is getting ridiculous. Also, Shotor...Don't dare blame anyone else for the derail. If someone else brings it up you'll write half a page about it. Everyone should just accept the difference of opinion and stop.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #4,660 of 5,506

Quote:
He was their big celebrity name for the Mixr. He helped design them. To be honest...On look he did a great job. I do want to hear them evenutally.

Also, come on guys...This HDMI thing is getting ridiculous. Also, Shotor...Don't dare blame anyone else for the derail. If someone else brings it up you'll write half a page about it. Everyone should just accept the difference of opinion and stop.

So you really don't find the mixrs to be very similar to the pros?
Actually, I want to hear them myself aswell, but that YouTube review seems to be leading elsewhere.. 

Well, at least they look nice.
But I actually think that the ultrasones pro900 look sexier 

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #4,661 of 5,506

They look a bit similar, but they look lighter and smaller.
EDIT: Sleeker and the black with red accents look good. Admittedly the Pros don't look to bad either.

The Pro 900 is indeed a good looking can though. The only thing that bugs me about them is the silver on the cups. It's fairly easy to scratch.

Quote:

So you really don't find the mixrs to be very similar to the pros?
Actually, I want to hear them myself aswell, but that YouTube review seems to be leading elsewhere.. 

Well, at least they look nice.
But I actually think that the ultrasones pro900 look sexier 

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #4,662 of 5,506
I'm not going to continue the HDMI debate off-topic, except to say that any perceived "debate" about HDMI cables is just that -- perceived. Such debate persists only due to the uneducated and ignorant. Among the nonignorant (i.e. the people who actually design and build such technology and have a full understanding of how everything works), the debate exists just as much as a debate exists as to whether the earth is round or flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back