Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4,621 of 5,506
That was a surprisingly well informed reviews, except for maybe the Bose comment, but in any case I think it's a fair enough review. IMO there needs to be more popular reviews like this -- from people who know that although they don't sound bad, the Beats aren't really very good quality for the price, and are mostly a fashion statement / brand image.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4,623 of 5,506
One thing to consider, from his point of view, is that it might be more beneficial for him to mention Bose with a more "average consumer" in mind for the viewers of his videos, not audiophiles. I think it was fairly apparent that the video wasn't intended for audiophiles. I wouldn't say I expect his level of knowledge of headphones to be on the level as many people here, but he seems to be more knowledgeable than your average consumer. For someone that has never heard of AKG, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc., it won't really be effective. Those are essentially the same as an off-brand or no name to someone like that. Unless they do their research, they'll never know that Bose isn't one of the best choices. So the average consumer watching that video might discredit his review if they don't recognize a brand/product that they view as synonymous with quality sound. If I tell my mom that I bought a new pair of quality headphones made by audio technica, she'd probably be a little skeptical or unsure but trust me a little because I'm her son. If I told her I was thinking about some bose headphones, she would quickly conclude that they must be a great product. Throw out a name that people know of and typically respect (even if it's unwarranted), and suddenly your review is considered more credible.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,625 of 5,506
The more I look at the Mixrs, the more I see some DT1350 in the design, but they made them look less clunky.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #4,627 of 5,506

Quote:
Sennheiser is commercial, most people I know, in fact, know Sennheiser.

They know it due tot heir earphone CX range - and thus why i say it.

headphones however are another issue.
In-ear though, sennheiser are the biggest IMO to be known for.

That said, their headphones I like, and their earphones I greatly dislike....especially their higher models: IE7/8

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #4,628 of 5,506
I gotta admit, that mixr review sounded pretty fair.

He didn't get into too much technical jargon like sound staging, resolution, clarity and FR... among other things..
And of course, as previously mentioned, comparing their sound to Bose and stating that Bose sounds better does not really bode well for these Beats.  Not that Bose sound bad or anything, but definitely not Audiophile grade headphones. Even if you'd take the 'general listening consumer' into count, the Mixrs aren't designed for general listening, but rather Hip Hop/Rap/R&B and the likes..  I'm not even sure how they'd do with Electronica.. And to the other extent, they're designed for DJ use as-well, so not really in the same category where I'd put Bose..  Not a really good point to make on his part. 

That said, he did put things in perspective for the general hip hop/R&B and Rap headphones consumers who are looking into upgrading from the ibuds or some cheapo earbuds..  So that's a good thing.  And of course, he is aware of AT and Sennheiser's works... so that's a plus..

Onto the Bose thing, I'm glad to see that some of their OEs and AE models came down the price... good choice to get more people exposed to their headphone products.. They're CQ's though still remain the same high price... But they're getting there..

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4,629 of 5,506

Quote:
Which producers use Bose?  And who said Dre's works are backwash for all of us?  

Dre is far from a lousy producer, he has tons of talent 

But, he doesnt use beats to produce.

So I dont see your point

I wasnt stating Dre's work was backwash. More like the producers that use them... half the time the final product isnt in the tip top of shape. This is a good example of such kind of failure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIUNtQEI_s I knew one, but I switched him to AKG on a trip to germany as he deals with acoustics & their sonic stage is better for that.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #4,633 of 5,506
Well, I personally never though even for a second that it IS possible...

However, in case, someone knows someone who did so, or someone who can... I would have loved to get an insight on that one..

Speaking of Bose and theater systems, respectable or hyped as a really good quality premium sounding system manufacturer... Truth is, not all that great...
Well, again, with consideration for price.  Their lifestyle, acoustimass, soundbar and other various home theater packages... $1000 for a 3 speaker set, 2 speakers and a sub?
$1700 for a soundbar and sub? $2000 for a 5.1 Home theater.. Not even Master Audio Decoding..?   

Sorry to sound like I'm ranting... but with respects to Bose, those theater systems don't sound that good.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/bose-bose-5-1-channel-receiver-home-theatre-system-v25-lifestyle-v25/10142555.aspx?path=b3370f223cf9e6f08dedf4582fa1b880en02

I heard the above system quite a few times.. and yes, sounds good.. but.. at $2000?

When you have something like this at $400 - $600

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/panasonic-sc-pt960/1707-6740_7-32815243.html#relatedBlogs

Makes you wonder..

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #4,634 of 5,506

Quote:
I know that they are over-priced. But here, i'm not talking about their HDMI cable. 

Yea, I think I will stick with my $3 monoprice cabled that sound exactly the same as the $200 monster cable I had looked into. Oh did I mention it's build better as well?

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4,635 of 5,506

Quote:

Yea, I think I will stick with my $3 monoprice cabled that sound exactly the same as the $200 monster cable I had looked into. Oh did I mention it's build better as well?

Your exaggerating about your MP 8320's I can tell you that for a fact, as I have it myself :wink:

And they are $7 not $3 :p!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back