Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3,826 of 5,506

Quote:
To be honest, you can always say "At least the company that made my headphones doesn't support SOPA."

Beats is actually separating from Monster, if that's what you were referring to.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/monster-and-beats-electronics-discontinue-partnership-/

With that being the case, I have a slight hope that maybe we'll see a higher quality product for the money. I'm sure it will still be bass heavy, but hopefully offer a better sound quality and/or materials. Obviously, there will still be a focus on marketing and brand/product image, but I can't imagine how separating from a company like Monster wouldn't be a good thing.

I just graduated from college and, even with mostly senior classes, there was still a lot of popularity with the Beats. I never really got into a discussion with anyone over it, but I did hear the occasional discussion about how great they were or how much someone wanted a pair. The thing that annoyed me most was seeing people walking around with them around their neck all of the time, yet I never actually saw those people using them. I realize people have different tastes. They've done a great job of marketing them and the overall image seems well thought out for target market. Even if the sound quality and materials used were up to par with similarly priced options, they still would be over-represented by number of sales. I'd just like to see more educated buyers. If people have done their research and still prefer a product (for whatever reason), I can't really fault them for their preference. I don't think they look bad, but I still prefer the look of my HFI-780's or my AD900's. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the sound quality for anything I own.

Then again, I'm sure a lot of people might think it's crazy to spend what I did on the Terminator V4 I just ordered. Anyone that doesn't really have an appreciation for the work or look of them will think it's crazy. I even had to question if I'd rather spend that money on a similarly priced (unmodified) set of cans. At the end of the day, I know I've always loved his work and I knew I'd probably regret going with a different option, so I just went with what I felt I'd be happier with. I'm guessing a lot of people would have similar reasons for picking the products they've bought.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3,828 of 5,506
Shotor isn't the only one; I also consider 250USD a reasonable price for the Pro (though it wouldn't be a steal), and I agree with Shotor when he said Head-Fi tends to harbor a very critical stance on the Beats line - perhaps to a fault.
Of course, different strokes for different people. 

Quote:
I've heard the value $150 stated much more frequently in context of the Pros. You're the only one I've heard say they're worth as high as $250. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,829 of 5,506

Quote:
Shotor isn't the only one; I also consider 250USD a reasonable price for the Pro (though it wouldn't be a steal), and I agree with Shotor when he said Head-Fi tends to harbor a very critical stance on the Beats line - perhaps to a fault.
Of course, different strokes for different people. 

I think you're right there's a vehement disdain for Beats headphones on Head-Fi. Hah.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3,830 of 5,506
250$ for beats pro is not worth it at all. That's about the cost price on them where I work and I've never even considered purchasing one

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 20, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #3,831 of 5,506

Quote:
Beats is actually separating from Monster, if that's what you were referring to.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/monster-and-beats-electronics-discontinue-partnership-/

With that being the case, I have a slight hope that maybe we'll see a higher quality product for the money. I'm sure it will still be bass heavy, but hopefully offer a better sound quality and/or materials. Obviously, there will still be a focus on marketing and brand/product image, but I can't imagine how separating from a company like Monster wouldn't be a good thing.

Then again, I'm sure a lot of people might think it's crazy to spend what I did on the Terminator V4 I just ordered. Anyone that doesn't really have an appreciation for the work or look of them will think it's crazy. I even had to question if I'd rather spend that money on a similarly priced (unmodified) set of cans. At the end of the day, I know I've always loved his work and I knew I'd probably regret going with a different option, so I just went with what I felt I'd be happier with. I'm guessing a lot of people would have similar reasons for picking the products they've bought.

Well since the main disputes were over profits, I have my doubts that they'd put any actual effort into making good sound, seeing as that'd take actual money... What they're doing works for them. They're not going to spend R&D just to make better sound. They think the stuff they make is perfect already.

Have fun with your Darths! I've always wanted a pair, but they're kind of hard to justify with the DX1000 being only a couple hundred more expensive.

And I really don't see too much of a problem with Pros. They're a valiant attempt at making a super-consumer sound, and it actually kind of works.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #3,832 of 5,506
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #3,833 of 5,506

Quote:
By the time SOPA passes, the statue of liberty should be taken down too. Isn't it America who told China to stop censoring their web? Ironic.

I'm sorry for continuing with what would have been a very brief off-topicness, but I would like to enquire anti-SOPA supporters. First of all I'm not against it not endorse it, like in most things in life I think both sides have very good arguments and aspects against them, and I reserve my judgement for later. With SOPA supporters are a lot of piracy advocants, who say all content should be free. I have made illegal downloads, but in no way I think this is right, if I was a musician I'd like to see my work compensated. There are also those artists which make free content, especially with EPs and first albums, and these payless efforts should be praised (Nine Inch Nails released an EP online in pretty much every format from MP3 to 24-bit FLAC). Of course many SOPA supporters are against piracy and there is actually an alternative to SOPA being proposed which would prevent a lot of piracy without giving the government the right to block sites it deemed offensible.

Another issue with the anti-SOPA argument is the word "might". They might censor the entire Internet, they might block websites with nothing harmful. Well, if you allow gun use by the entire population they might kill themselves off in an Old Western fashion, but you don't see gun usage banned. If you have a police in your country they might go into your house and take you in the night for no reason and execute you without a fair trial, but unless you live in North Korea I also doubt this happens often. So saying that if SOPA passes every single website will be blocked is a huge stretch, and a completely unfair rhetorical argument.

I'm just saying, don't believe what you read online exclusively, no matter what side the writter is on. It's ok to have an opinion, but I almost never meet someone with an unbiased view of something - not just in political issues, the objectivist-vs-subjectivist kindergarten fight on Head-Fi is full of this. Read up on SOPA both from its supporters and the people who are against it. If you're like me, you'll end up with a lot of info and no opinion.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,834 of 5,506
LizardKing I think you underestimate the magnitude of how many artists and content OWNERS strongly oppose SOPA type laws, not only because they understand exactly why it would degrade this country severely, but also in how it violates the fundamental principle of freedom of the web. I am one of these -- I have works which I make money from selling, which I KNOW have been and are being pirated. Yet, I would fight to the end for the freedom of an uncensored web. Yes, I would fight against censorship even if it means leaving pirated versions of my content uncensored. This is not to say I condone or want people to access illegal copies of my work, but rather the absolute freedom of the internet is more important to me than making sure people don't try my stuff without paying me.

The anti-sopa mentality has nothing to do with being pro piracy, and everything to do with being anti-censorship. Laws like SOPA do not even come close to effectively stopping piracy. At best it's a mild annoying to pirates.

I don't understand how you don't see how absolutely vital internet freedom is. If you don't understand why an artist would willfully sacrifice a certain percentage of sales for a free internet, then somewhere somehow there is a MASSIVE gap of mentality between you and most people, that I cannot fathom. It may be a cultural thing, but freedom means a lot to people. 

The only people who truly want SOPA or PIPA-like laws are not the artists, but the massive companies that have no true grasp of how the market and how people interact is changing. It's not the 1900s any more. The media consumption market is changing and Holywood is afraid and does not know how to adapt. The solution is not to pass laws protecting a failing business model, but to change your business model.

Another issue with the anti-SOPA argument is the word "might". They might censor the entire Internet, they might block websites with nothing harmful. Well, if you allow gun use by the entire population they might kill themselves off in an Old Western fashion, but you don't see gun usage banned.
 ​
No, it's not a matter of "might". It's a matter of "when". If you really believe that law is used in the most honorable and true spirit of its intend, only in the most morally respectable ways, then you need to take a look at the real world. Copyright laws are already being abused, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The worst part is people like you who out of ignorance do not oppose it (which is understandable since not everyone has time to educate themselves on the actual content of SOPA/PIPA), you do not realize that it doesn't even stop piracy. All it does is provide those with money a tool to shut down websites without due process (a scary thought to any sane person), and provides only a mild annoyance to someone intent on pirating something.

However this is pretty much off topic... you're right.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3,835 of 5,506
I was expecting personal insults and to a very low level even, just not coming from someone who I usually agree with on this forum. I'd say you don't have the faintest clue about my beliefs to make claims about my intellect, but let's move on.

I do know it won't stop piracy (anyone who wants to find a torrent will find it, it's no big deal), and I know a lot of artists support the ability to have piracy of their own content even if it means losing sales, since it achieves freedom on the internet. Kanye West probably lost millions thanks to pirate bay alone and yet he spoke up against SOPA and PIPA. Please consider I have educated myself on this, and simply don't share 100% of what you believe in. I've been through countless articles, mostly against SOPA and PIPA, and I dare say I know the script by now. I just don't have to agree blindly to every eloquent paragraph repeating pretty words over and over. I never said I wasn't afraid of losing the freedom the internet gives me, and I never even said that wasn't likely happen with SOPA and PIPA, I just said you cant say "if SOPA and PIPA pass, you will lose all your kitty photos and tumblr posts". It's like those desperate political ads that use fear to get you to vote someone, because "If you vote for X, then pedophilia will be allowed, the borders will be open and riots will happen. Vote for Y for a prosperous future!". It's rhetoric at its most basic level. If you want people to support you, maybe frightening them isn't the most honest way to do it, although it is probably the most efficient. If the alternative bill to actually stop piracy efficiently without taking away the free internet privileges was presented I'd support it, since I think it's a much more fair proposal.

Despite the low blows on my intelligence, I would be interested in seeing your work. Can you send me a link?
In regards to being off-topic, I think this is probably the most informative one this thread has seen.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #3,836 of 5,506
The best thing to do when making your mind up about controversial pieces of legislation is to read the contents of the legislation itself.  That aside, I'll offer my opinion: I think most of the anti-SOPA pieces of writing that we all have been seeing recently are on the right side of things--SOPA is certainly a shoot first, ask questions later piece of work. Whether or not such anti-SOPA writings are exaggerating depends completely upon how the legislation's power is used--and my reading of it suggests that its power could be very easily abused. 

Again, I'd encourage everyone to read the contents of the bill itself.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,839 of 5,506
Well, it's more accurate to say that most professional musicians don't mind piracy. Regardless, you're correct: most of the revenue comes from live concerts and endorsements; revenue earned from selling tunes online is usually negligible in comparison.

Quote:
Most musicians support piracy. Live concerts are far more profitable, and most artists just want to be heard. How is irrelevant.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back