Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,856 of 5,506
Really? I thought the indicment put against them states that Megaupload was ignoring the DMCA taken down by skirting around it. Basically, when they got a DMCA take down for a certain file, they would remove the link for that file - but would keep the copyrighted material on their servers, and allow other links to link to said file later on. 

So basically, they weren't taking down the files  - which means they weren't complying with DMCA. If that is true, they certainly were doing something illegal....

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/78786408

Quote:
If I may ask, where did you find out that they "were stupid enough to keep records" of all of their illegal activities? 

Everything that I've read points towards them doing nothing illegal. They had the same system as Youtube: if something illegal got posted, it was taken down.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,857 of 5,506

Quote:
If I may ask, where did you find out that they "were stupid enough to keep records" of all of their illegal activities? 

Everything that I've read points towards them doing nothing illegal. They had the same system as Youtube: if something illegal got posted, it was taken down.

I don't know where that came from either, but the fact remains the FBI spent 2 years building a case up, and if it was something as simple as I think we all believe, it'd have been done sooner. The point was, under SOPA/PIPA, those 2 years would have been 2 hours.

This is developing quickly and worth keeping track of - I remember just yesterday it was claimed Swizz Beatz was named as part of the indictment, but he wasn't. Today we found out that top execs in MegaUpload bought 15 Mercedes, a Lambo, and a Maserati, as well as a Rolls Royce with the license plate "GOD". I'm sure we'll find out more about the supposed conspiracy that took 2 years to dig up soon. 

If nothing else, that's an FBI auction I'd like to show up to.

satanigtan has it right, based on what I last read, that MegaUpload was being weird in regards to DMCA takedown requests.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,858 of 5,506
satanigatan, your post brought something I didn't even mention to avoid increasing my already gigantic post: what downloading music made of it. And this doesn't just refer to illegal downloads, although does play a big role in people not caring about music (since besides no effort, there's also no payment). People can download a whole artist's discography in 5 minutes, they put it in their 32Gb iPods and listen to the singles. They don't care. An old teacher of mine told me she and her friends used to go to one of their houses and listen to The Who records that one of them actually got when he went to the US - because there was no way of getting them here. They didn't talk, they just laid back and listened. I don't know anyone who does that nowadays.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3,859 of 5,506

Quote:
satanigatan, your post brought something I didn't even mention to avoid increasing my already gigantic post: what downloading music made of it. And this doesn't just refer to illegal downloads, although does play a big role in people not caring about music (since besides no effort, there's also no payment). People can download a whole artist's discography in 5 minutes, they put it in their 32Gb iPods and listen to the singles. They don't care. An old teacher of mine told me she and her friends used to go to one of their houses and listen to The Who records that one of them actually got when he went to the US - because there was no way of getting them here. They didn't talk, they just laid back and listened. I don't know anyone who does that nowadays.

I do it a lot. Alone, though, because I have no friends who appreciate music.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3,860 of 5,506
Totally. It's insane to think, we literally have the entire history of all music ever made at the click of a button. The fact that we are able to get anything and everything at lightning speeds is just mind blowing. I think there is a positive and negative effect to this. On the one hand, I think more music is discovered and listened to now a days. When I was in middleschool, I only listened to the albums I bought, which meant I usually only heard about 20-30 new albums a year. Compared to today, I could listen to that many in a given month.  Peoples tastes are certainly widened. There becomes much more diversity, as they have a better outlet for finding new music. 

But the negative side, is like you said, people stop caring on some levels. It becomes this easily digestible material, with no real second thought to it. I sometimes find myself overwhelmed by the amount of music I take in. I sometimes wish I would slow it down, and really listen to these albums with more focus and attention. 

I do think overall though, the internet has been more positive than negative for music fans. I mean, let's be realistic here. How many albums have you heard, that you might never have heard if you had to go into a music store to buy every single album you listen to. 

I guess for me, I just feel like the artist had to put a lot of time and effort into making their music. And it's true that not all artists care about people pirating. But it should be left up to them to decide that...and not the people? If Trent Reznor says it's okay to steal his music (I love Trent btw) - then that's cool. But if X artist thinks all his hard work and effort has a monetary value, should he not have the right to make money off his product? Do people have the right to listen and use his/her labors without paying?

That's the core question. It's not a question I have an answer to. I just know for me, I personally feel an obligation and a sense of responsibility to pay an artist for their work. I actually feel bad when I don't. But I'm also going to admit and say I am a hypocrite. While I do buy CDs every month (mostly the stuff I love), there is no way I could afford 20 albums a month. I would be broke. 

So there's that. 
Quote:

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3,861 of 5,506

Quote:
When a file is being uploaded to Megaupload.com, the Conspiracy’s automatedsystem calculates a unique identifier for the file (called a “MD5 hash”) that is generated using amathematical algorithm. If, after the MD5 hash calculation, the system determines that theuploading file already exists on a server controlled by the Mega Conspiracy, Megaupload.comdoes not reproduce a second copy of the file on that server. Instead, the system provides a newand unique URL link to the new user that is pointed to the original file already present on theserver. If there is more than one URL link to a file, then any attempt by the copyright holder toterminate access to the file using the Abuse Tool or other DMCA takedown request will failbecause the additional access links will continue to be available.

From the indictment - I'd say that's dodging DMCA takedown requests, definitely. DMCA takedown requests entail taking down the file, not just a specific link.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,862 of 5,506

Exactly. Megaupload was in fact dodging DMCA take down notices. I'm not saying I'm for what happeend. But at the same time, they knew the law, and broke it. And not by accident, but knowingly. 

I would much rather we have DMCA laws, where they have to build up their case and go to a judge first, than SOPA and PIPA. 
Quote:

From the indictment - I'd say that's dodging DMCA takedown requests, definitely. DMCA takedown requests entail taking down the file, not just a specific link.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,863 of 5,506
Who cares what other people think? At least I can walk around knowing that I have somewhat decent mid-fi quality as opposed to all the kids with their beats.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #3,864 of 5,506

Quote:
Who cares what other people think? At least I can walk around knowing that I have somewhat decent mid-fi quality as opposed to all the kids with their beats.

that's exactly the crowd opinion on here :D except...there's the fact that this is the "getting called out" thread. that is what irks us.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3,866 of 5,506

Quote:
Yeah getting called out on something is lame. The kind of person that does that, is a terrible person. 

well usually, it's not a full call out that you might think. it's them asking u what the heck you are wearing and trying to be polite and "inform" you of higher qualty and the best heapdhones ever out on the market

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,867 of 5,506

Quote:
that's exactly the crowd opinion on here :D except...there's the fact that this is the "getting called out" thread. that is what irks us.

I see your point. I love letting someone who's been using beats listen to my HD598s. They always say "There's no bass". It's always entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back