Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Dec 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #3,213 of 5,506

Quote:
Nom de Plume is getting famous!!! ahh :) guess we are all youngin's here on head-fi :)
a mod removed the annoying off topic posts :'(

I hope my dialogue about big business and how it's destroying society wasn't removed. Not blowing my own horn but that post was a good read for people.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #3,217 of 5,506

Quote:
ahhh yes I remember that as well and other ones since I read from page 1. I also remember the time you told when you were at the food court at the mall (don't judge me).

i just loooked it up :)
"up his Solo's and say see these they're called Beats. Beats are the top of the line when it comes to headphones you should try them out sometime"

omg i almost died right here.
I posted something back about how to tell a kid easily that they sucked and one of the best replies i remember was something like
Do you trust Dr.Dre to know what (insert famous classic rock) sounds like?

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #3,221 of 5,506
My college newspaper, the NT Daily:

When I walk around campus and see someone flaunting their massive, tacky, $300 piece of cheap plastic, it amuses me greatly.
Not just because they’re hideous and the company plasters their logo on every inch of the headphones, but also because the few people I’ve met who wear their Beats by Dr. Dre headphones around their neck think this grants them exclusive privileges to snob everyone with how great their headphones are in comparison to how terrible everyone else’s are.
That, usually, isn’t true. They are a fashion statement, and that’s it.

There’s nothing better than reading a review like I did on one kid’s blog about how “if you are cool enough, these headphones will certainly boost your cool further.”
All I can say is that if you are paying $300 to get the people walking around campus to find you “cool,” or you think that these headphones will get the opposite sex fawning over you, then you have some serious issues.
The same could be said for Skullcandy headphones — they’re cheaper, but they’re hideous and don’t grant you entry into this mythical cool headphone club. The $80 you spent on them could have easily been spent on headphones that aren’t ripped to shreds by nearly every critic for their awful sound and reliability.
Cheaper, better alternatives
My favorite thing to do when someone is talking about how great their Beats headphones is let them listen to mine. Because they insist on rubbing their headphones in my face, sometimes I feel it necessary to rub my much cheaper headphones in theirs. The few times I’ve tried this, the responses amuse me greatly.
“Whoa, these are amazing.”
“These sound great!  How much were they?”
“Man, I need some of these.”
Well, let’s see, out of my collection, my Grado headphones were $80.  My Sennheisers were $50. With the exception of my Bose headphones, the few times I’ve stepped into the expensive, mainstream headphones, I’ve been let down by reliability or the sound.
An audiophile’s opinion
I’m a self-confessed audiophile, so my audio standards are pretty high. But trying to impress with your $300 headphones certainly isn’t going to impress me, or from my experience, most people.
If you genuinely like the sound of the Dr. Dre or the Skullcandy and didn’t drop your rent payment on a fashion statement, then I’ll apologize.
However, if you bought them to impress, you definitely are not impressive, and they don’t make you cool hanging around your neck.
Instead, when you walk by, I’ll shake my head at your failure to properly maintain a bank account.

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=53588

This may have been my rant!

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #3,222 of 5,506
Just a heads up we're planning a meet soon in either the Austin or DFW area. Join the thread in my sig if you're interested. 

I laughed, by the way.

Quote:

When I walk around campus and see someone flaunting their massive, tacky, $300 piece of cheap plastic, it amuses me greatly.
Not just because they’re hideous and the company plasters their logo on every inch of the headphones, but also because the few people I’ve met who wear their Beats by Dr. Dre headphones around their neck think this grants them exclusive privileges to snob everyone with how great their headphones are in comparison to how terrible everyone else’s are.

There’s nothing better than reading a review like I did on one kid’s blog about how “if you are cool enough, these headphones will certainly boost your cool further.”
All I can say is that if you are paying $300 to get the people walking around campus to find you “cool,” or you think that these headphones will get the opposite sex fawning over you, then you have some serious issues.
The same could be said for Skullcandy headphones — they’re cheaper, but they’re hideous and don’t grant you entry into this mythical cool headphone club. The $80 you spent on them could have easily been spent on headphones that aren’t ripped to shreds by nearly every critic for their awful sound and reliability.
My favorite thing to do when someone is talking about how great their Beats headphones is let them listen to mine. Because they insist on rubbing their headphones in my face, sometimes I feel it necessary to rub my much cheaper headphones in theirs. The few times I’ve tried this, the responses amuse me greatly.
Well, let’s see, out of my collection, my Grado headphones were $80.  My Sennheisers were $50. With the exception of my Bose headphones, the few times I’ve stepped into the expensive, mainstream headphones, I’ve been let down by reliability or the sound.
An audiophile’s opinion
I’m a self-confessed audiophile, so my audio standards are pretty high. But trying to impress with your $300 headphones certainly isn’t going to impress me, or from my experience, most people.
If you genuinely like the sound of the Dr. Dre or the Skullcandy and didn’t drop your rent payment on a fashion statement, then I’ll apologize.
However, if you bought them to impress, you definitely are not impressive, and they don’t make you cool hanging around your neck.
Instead, when you walk by, I’ll shake my head at your failure to properly maintain a bank account.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3,223 of 5,506

Quote:
An audiophile’s opinion

wait...an audiophile whose best headphones are Bose??.....??...??.....????.....?????

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,224 of 5,506
Heresy! *whips out flamethrower*
we must burn the heretic!

Ok, but Bose? Satisfying? I suppose their ANC cans do fine for noise canceling but in terms of sound, you could do...A little better. Try some IEMs. Try to avoid stepping too much on Skullcandy as well, as their newer offerings like the aviator actually do pretty good for the price.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #3,225 of 5,506

Quote:

An audiophile’s opinion

He/she sounds like a wonderful person

Users who are viewing this thread

Back