Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3,181 of 5,506

Quote:
Are you saying Americans are dumb?
tongue_smile.gif

He's not necessarily referring to americans, maybe european countries or brazilians or whatever, there are ******* everywhere

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3,182 of 5,506
Perhaps one of the better headphone makers might pinch Blaupunkt's old slogan from their 80s-era high-end car-audio ads: "For People With Ears...and Something Between Them."

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3,183 of 5,506
Last week 1 of my fellow workers saw me taking my m50s out of my locker she told me she she was going to get $500 headphones. I asked what brand, yep she replied "Dre beats studio" i looked at her with wide eyes and she said beats are the best. i silently took my m50s off and told.her to put them on. 5mins later she asked how much they cost. her jaw fell open when i told her $165. Ended with next time i go to addictedtoaudio Im getting her a pair of m50s :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,184 of 5,506
So when I was first looking into a set of higher end headphones, I definitely failed on my research initially.  I asked for some Bose for Christmas and I spent about 30 minutes listening to them until I realized I needed to take them right in for something else.  I did some research and price comparisons and came up with some HD600s which fit my budget and my needs, and I'm working on coupling it with amps, currently just with the Fiio E7, probably connect it to an E9 later (finding this whole Hi-Fi thing expensive already...).

Anyway, I was texting with my buddy who works at Best Buy and the first thing he mentioned after I told him the SQ on the Bose was terrible, with no balance on any end, high or low, was to check out the Beats when I said the bass on the Bose was god awful.  I really wanted something balanced, hence why I ended up with the 600s.  Out of curiosity I checked out the Beats when I returned the Bose, even though I know they were pretty much crap.  Holy hell.  Every set they had on display was broken.  Some were beat to hell, most just had cracked (CRACKED) headbands.  I realize that they're display, but after touching them...yeah there cheap.

No news to anyone, but after all the hype and hearing/seeing the Beats all around me, and seeing them in person, I'm so glad I ended up getting quality for my money headphones.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #3,185 of 5,506

Quote:
So when I was first looking into a set of higher end headphones, I definitely failed on my research initially.  I asked for some Bose for Christmas and I spent about 30 minutes listening to them until I realized I needed to take them right in for something else.  I did some research and price comparisons and came up with some HD600s which fit my budget and my needs, and I'm working on coupling it with amps, currently just with the Fiio E7, probably connect it to an E9 later (finding this whole Hi-Fi thing expensive already...).

Anyway, I was texting with my buddy who works at Best Buy and the first thing he mentioned after I told him the SQ on the Bose was terrible, with no balance on any end, high or low, was to check out the Beats when I said the bass on the Bose was god awful.  I really wanted something balanced, hence why I ended up with the 600s.  Out of curiosity I checked out the Beats when I returned the Bose, even though I know they were pretty much crap.  Holy hell.  Every set they had on display was broken.  Some were beat to hell, most just had cracked (CRACKED) headbands.  I realize that they're display, but after touching them...yeah there cheap.

No news to anyone, but after all the hype and hearing/seeing the Beats all around me, and seeing them in person, I'm so glad I ended up getting quality for my money headphones.

It's funny how some stores (ones I've been to) give two craps about the condition that the beats headphones are when on display. It's like they know people are still going to get them either way. Good job on spending your money on something worth the price!

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3,188 of 5,506
I was at best buy the other day. you do not know just how stupid their employees are. They just read off the box and other stuff. comparing drivers and impendance and what not. The only brand audiophile approved they had was Sennheiser and other than one model, the rest are all in boxes in the unpopular section.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,189 of 5,506
Quote:
I was at best buy the other day. you do not know just how stupid their employees are. They just read off the box and other stuff. comparing drivers and impendance and what not. The only brand audiophile approved they had was Sennheiser and other than one model, the rest are all in boxes in the unpopular section.

Yeah I definitely agree.  I think most of the time the only employees who need to know much at Best Buy, or any big name electronics retailer, are the one's working in the Mobile section, but even then the choices are pretty narrowed by what is really offered (mostly the same couple brands anyway).  Just happens that the poor guy stuck in headphones is mostly selling Bose QCs or Beats; doesn't need to worry about all the others.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3,190 of 5,506

Quote:

Yeah I definitely agree.  I think most of the time the only employees who need to know much at Best Buy, or any big name electronics retailer, are the one's working in the Mobile section, but even then the choices are pretty narrowed by what is really offered (mostly the same couple brands anyway).  Just happens that the poor guy stuck in headphones is mostly selling Bose QCs or Beats; doesn't need to worry about all the others.

yeah and he doesn't even know headphones >_< it's annoying. the ppl in the mobile department are smart, but not THAT smart. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3,191 of 5,506
Their Magnolia employees are the only ones I talk to anymore. They at least know what I mean when I say bright. 

Every now and then l get reactions from people at my retail job like 'Wow you actually know your stuff.'

EDIT: I consider myself in the 5% of retail employees that actually have knowledge of the product they're selling. There are others out there. You get repeat customers that way. Just today I blew some uppity Linux guy's mind when I actually knew what he was talking about. 

Quote:

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3,192 of 5,506

Quote:
Their Magnolia employees are the only ones I talk to anymore. They at least know what I mean when I say bright. 

Every now and then l get reactions from people at my retail job like 'Wow you actually know your stuff.'

EDIT: I consider myself in the 5% of retail employees that actually have knowledge of the product they're selling. There are others out there. You get repeat customers that way. Just today I blew some uppity Linux guy's mind when I actually knew what he was talking about. 

I want to make that:
5% of retail employees are proficcent in what they are selling.
less than 1% is a very good and knowledgable at what they are selling.

That 1% would be if any of us ranked head fiers went and worked in a retail place that sells headphones(not as the main thing)

.. i hear ppl say they know linux in my school quite a bit.
I bring up GRUB and talk about the annoying sudo apt get(in ubuntu) and other terminal things, it's little quirks, some general commands. and they look like I was from Mars or something. and im only proficcent in it >_<
If i'm proficcent in something i don't go around saying i know it. if asked, i will do the unsure meh hand raise.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3,193 of 5,506
I know more than enough to work well above my pay grade in a few fields. I'll be going back to school in 2013 to actually cement my knowledge and a career in one of them. 

Every now and then you really get a great retail employee. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3,194 of 5,506

Quote:
I know more than enough to work well above my pay grade in a few fields. I'll be going back to school in 2013 to actually cement my knowledge and a career in one of them. 

Every now and then you really get a great retail employee. 

May I ask which fields you like and which ones you are going to cement your knowledge in. Would you say going to a private college is important?

Most retail employees say this to me "see dem beats, they da stuff you want"

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3,195 of 5,506

I don't think private vs. public matters, what matters is how good the college is. I've heard a good indicator is one with active postgraduate research, but of course there are other charts. In any case, college IMO isn't so much important for education as it is for making connections (unless you're the type that has trouble learning directly from books, but that's kind of a necessary skill in the real world anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back