Fully Circumaural - Confused between Koss/Sennheiser/Rest
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jozurr

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wanting to buy headphones which are FULLY circumaural and DON'T need an amp to use. I will be using them directly out of my laptop. I was wanting to buy the creative aurvana live but i dont think they're available for $60 anywhere anymore.

My budget is max $70.

Im confused between the following choices

1) KOSS UR-40
2) KOSS UR-55
3) KOSS DJ100
4) Sennheiser HD 515
5) Sennheiser HD 428
6) Sony MDR X-200

Comfort is really very important which is the reason I sold my Sennheiser HD-202. The foams used to touch my ears and they used to get uncomfortable after a few minutes of use. I don't want that to happen again.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to post them too. I really hope I can decide what to get soon.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 12
I've read up in various reviews that the M50 have a very bad clamping effect which kind of makes them a no-go for me. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 12
The UR40s are very lightweight which makes them pretty comfortable to wear. Sound's a bit dark and boomy though so personal tastes will come into play. I've heard nothing but good things about the UR55 but haven't had an opportunity to try them yet.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 12
Hmm, the Koss ur55 seems interesting.
I'm in your position as well OP, well, a lot of people are in our position when it comes to buying headphones.

Though I can't seem to find a review/impression on Koss UR55 in headfi..

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 12
ur55 sounded really good but i found the foam too scratchy and plan on returning them this weekend. in fairness i only wore them a couple of times, so maybe the earpieces wear in over time and become more comfy.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 12
You should add the Sony MDR-V6 to your list.  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but it's been around for decades and is a real industry standard.  They play well out of an iPod, they sound very good and they also fold up for easy transport.  I had a pair for years, but have since moved onto the MDR-7509HD for on-the-go use.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
The UR40s are very lightweight which makes them pretty comfortable to wear. Sound's a bit dark and boomy though so personal tastes will come into play. I've heard nothing but good things about the UR55 but haven't had an opportunity to try them yet.

My concern with the UR40 is that I don't think they're fully circumaural. They would probably be the same like the HD202s which would touch my ears and become uncomfortable. Although I'm liking the reviews which say they sound decent.

Quote:
Hmm, the Koss ur55 seems interesting.
I'm in your position as well OP, well, a lot of people are in our position when it comes to buying headphones.

Though I can't seem to find a review/impression on Koss UR55 in headfi..

UR55 seem good, but do they justify the price tag.. say compared to the HD428? or the V6?

Quote:
You should add the Sony MDR-V6 to your list.  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but it's been around for decades and is a real industry standard.  They play well out of an iPod, they sound very good and they also fold up for easy transport.  I had a pair for years, but have since moved onto the MDR-7509HD for on-the-go use.

I've read pretty rave reviews about the MDR-V6 but my concern is the same as the UR40... they might not be fully circumaural given that I have big ears.. also that the pads tend to get hot after use? I've read the HD 428 are pretty comfortable.

I'm thinking of going with the HD428.. the only gripe I have is some reviews say they might not be loud enough and lack bass. I don't have an amp and I don't plan on buying one. So I'm still not sure what to do.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Apparently, it's highly recommended to get an amp to bring out the sound for HPs.
That's why I might be considering IEMs. Going to the HP store tomorrow to check some out.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Apparently, it's highly recommended to get an amp to bring out the sound for HPs.
That's why I might be considering IEMs. Going to the HP store tomorrow to check some out.

What HPs?

Im talking about the Sennheiser HD428.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 12
as a fan of closed headphones, i would recommend Senn HD 428. However Senn HD 515 is widely used as well

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 12
The Senns are circumaural, but the inner diameter of the earpads is relatively small. If you have big ears, you might find them uncomfortable. Best to try them out beforehand. The sound is great, OTOH, but they're very light on the bass, compared to the HD202s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back