Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,711 of 2,832
  Crap.

Mayflower's eBay mod kit showed a picture of Bake Shop Clay, so I bought at local store.....

I had the same concern, so I bought mine at Michael's for $4 USD. I now have enough to mod about 50 headphones.

*shrug*

I do know that priced out, you pay a goodly more than $20 for the materials, but then you can share them.
biggrin.gif

It's a learning experience.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,712 of 2,832
But, here's the thing with nodding prices. I've put in, 200. Hp, paint and 're wire, 20 in materials thanks to a very kind man. Now another 75 for a hifiman shell. Going to be another maybe 10 for mdf sheet, and who knows what else. But, it's been really fun and you gain knowledge while chugging along. Best luck to everyone new here, I'm fairly New as well. In the end this is just fun and interesting, I started in the grado mods, but these t50s are a whole New beast. Fleasbaby knows...

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,713 of 2,832
But, here's the thing with nodding prices. I've put in, 200. Hp, paint and 're wire, 20 in materials thanks to a very kind man. Now another 75 for a hifiman shell. Going to be another maybe 10 for mdf sheet, and who knows what else. But, it's been really fun and you gain knowledge while chugging along. Best luck to everyone new here, I'm fairly New as well. In the end this is just fun and interesting, I started in the grado mods, but these t50s are a whole New beast. Fleasbaby knows...

...amen brother...

So after building my third pair of woodies yesterday (iteration # 5) this morning I thought I would mod a pair of T50rp I have waiting for the next pair of cups to try out a DBV 3. I wanted something to compare the woodies to. Then I remembered a member who no longer frequents the boards shared his final recipe with me before he went off the grid...so I hauled up the PM and went through the materials, I had them all on hand, and went at it. The sound is great! I now have a reference point I want to push my woodies towards...

The point is, with Grados, the formula was pretty straightforward, even when we went to SennGrados. The T50rp are a whole new universe...wood, different woods, different baffle designs in wood, different wooden cup chamber sizes, depths, curved walls in there, straight walls, no wood, cotton, no cotton, Silverstone, different patterns for Silverstone, mass-load the baffles, don't mass-load them, and lets not start of the endless doctoring on the drivers, materials for mass-loading, materials to replace the cotton, Dynamat...heaven help me if I go into the universe of pads out there...I feel like Livingstone forging out into the bush fully expecting not to be coming back for a looooong time...and at some point I am going to bump into other intrepid adventurers floating about out there...

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,715 of 2,832
  Mayflower's eBay mod kit showed a picture of Bake Shop Clay, so I bought at local store.....

Yeah, but their ebay ad says:

Mod kit includes - 
 ​
Includes enough material to modify one headphone

- Roughly 25 grams of NEWPLAST - Reccomended clay for applicated
 - Stiff/soft Felt, Stick on back for easy application
 - SilverStone audio dampening foam  Stick on back for easy application 
 - ROLLED cotton (no more cotton balls)
 ​
As Bake Shop Clay and NEWPLAST are completely different substances it looks like they are confused (confusing at least)
confused_face_2.gif

Edit: undid correction of spelling and grammar in Mayflower spiel as it's a quote.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,716 of 2,832
There are posts in the other thread about melted cups and baffles caused by Bake to Dry clay. I never tried it and have no knowledge about Bake Shop Clay.

As far as I know, Newplast is not available in USA. I previously bought 15 bars from a supplier in England - sorry, none left after sharing with head-fi guys and gals. Newplast works great and it's relatively easy to remove. It won't dry out and does not melt plastic.

From Wikipedia:

Polymer clays contain a basis of PVC resin and a liquid plasticizer,[4] making it a plastisol. Polymer clay plastisol is also categorized as a plastigel because of its rheological properties.[5] It is a high yield thixotropic material; when a sufficient force is applied the material yields, flows like a viscous liquid until that force is removed, whereupon it returns to being a solid. This plasticity is what makes it useful as modeling clay as opposed to putty or paste. Plastigels retain their shape even when heat is applied, which is why polymer clay does not melt or droop when oven cured.[5] Various gelling agents are added to give it this property such as aminated bentonite, metallic soaps, or fumed silica.[6]

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,720 of 2,832
  Mayflower Electronics (one of the shops that actually sells modded versions of the T50RP) sells a kit, which uses Bake Shop Clay

I just emailed Mayflower,
Q:Do you supply the pictured Bake Shop Clay or the NEWPLAST that you list in your kit contents?

Reply:​

"Newplast, that's an old picture.

Thanks,"​

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,722 of 2,832
Yep, newplast with mayflower...got me worried there that my cups were going to melt.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,723 of 2,832
I kinda want to see this... someone with a spare set of baffles just shove the bad clay in there and leave it for a couple months and let's see what happens
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,725 of 2,832
So, last night I checked a baffle where I installed the bake shop clay about a week ago (Clay is by "Sculpy").  I removed the clay from one section and checked for anything out of the ordinary.  Clay came out easily and so far nothing out of the ordinary.  I did read on links posted here that with the PVC clay could be okay with #2, #4 & #5 plastics.  I was unable to verify which plastic Fostex uses for the baffles.  I already filled mine so if there is a number, it's all covered up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back