Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #2,823 of 2,832
Just performed a home made Mayflower mod - roofing flash tape for the wells, window insulating foam tape for the ladder, cotton wool padding and modelling clay. I noticed that less cotton wool = more bass. I replaced the micropore over the back of the driver where the glue struck through but nothing else. Now - the overall tone is warmer but mids are fuller, particularly male vocals. The sound feels more cohesive now, whereas stock the mids are dry and the bass feels disconnected from the treble. There has been some loss of the beautifully clear highs but I can live with that. I'm going to balance them next, usually that lends a little more clarity. Using standard 105mm flat circular leather pads from AE. I don't like the angled ones.

I have used a 4 pole 3.5mm direct socket replacement before but am going to use some recessed 0.78mm 2 pin sockets I picked up for fun. I have loads of 2 pin IEM cables that need using.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #2,824 of 2,832
Update: Balanced has thrown the soundstage out immensely wide but some of the centre bass focus has gone. It returns when using an unbalanced adaptor. I took a little more cotton wool out to return some of the bass in balanced mode. Overall - I like it. The 2 pin sockets were slightly fiddly, not sure I'd use them again but one of a kind, I guess!

IMG_20240315_062626.jpg

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,825 of 2,832
Update: Balanced has thrown the soundstage out immensely wide but some of the centre bass focus has gone. It returns when using an unbalanced adaptor. I took a little more cotton wool out to return some of the bass in balanced mode. Overall - I like it. The 2 pin sockets were slightly fiddly, not sure I'd use them again but one of a kind, I guess!

It sounds like you have your wiring out of phase in balanced mode, the effect is exactly as you describe very wide sound and cancelled bass. If I where you I would check your wiring, just running balanced shouldn't affect neither width of sound nor bass levels.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #2,826 of 2,832
I always check any modded headphones with a 1 minute fast headphone test on YouTube. Steering, phase and polarity were fine.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #2,829 of 2,832
It sounds like you have your wiring out of phase in balanced mode, the effect is exactly as you describe very wide sound and cancelled bass. If I where you I would check your wiring, just running balanced shouldn't affect neither width of sound nor bass levels.
I was really surprised too, that's what I thought initially but the test was fine. I had glued up the original 3.5mm socket as it is effectively another bass port and I think some of the cotton wool had shifted around. Once I opened them up and adjusted the cotton wool everything was good.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,831 of 2,832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back