Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 18, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,741 of 2,832
I may have a problem. My wife has told me to go make another pair. She keeping them!

O.o

Looks like I need to hit camelcamelcamel.com and setup a monitor on Fostex T50RP headpnones.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,742 of 2,832
Heck in no way is that a problem LOL be glad you have someone who shares the appreciation of them and is onboard with the headphone thing. You're a lucky guy.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,744 of 2,832
I was thinking about modding a pair, but I decided to sell them through unmodded. Too much going on in my life right now. And I have a hell of a time getting materials like Newplast et cetera.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,745 of 2,832
I may have a problem. My wife has told me to go make another pair. She keeping them!

O.o

Looks like I need to hit camelcamelcamel.com and setup a monitor on Fostex T50RP headpnones.

...funny how they suddenly look better on her...:D

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,747 of 2,832
@bluemonkeyflyer

Hi BMF

I think my next step in this rabbit hole is to do the Phantom Power Supply & Panasonic mic.

Pardon the noob question...are these separate items (power supply + mic assembly) or they need to go together?

Also, does this test in mono so you test one ear at a time?

Any advice from your experience is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Annotated pictures of solderdude's Dual Phantom Power Supply are now available in Post 1 of this thread. Go to Table of Contents: "DIY Measurement Kit."

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,749 of 2,832
...so I have an issue I was hoping to get some guidance on with stock T50rp mods (not woodies)...

With a regular pair of T50rp, modded using the standard methods (cotton, felt, etc, etc), I tend to get fatigue in my right ear after listening for roughly two hours. I am trying to figure out the cause and eliminate it. These are my findings so far:

1. It comes with the stock, Shure and Brainwavz pads.
2. It comes with clay and without clay in the baffles.
3. It comes with felt and without felt on the back of the driver.
4. It comes with and without cotton in cups.
5. It comes with and without Silverstone in cups.
6. It doesn't come when I transplant the drivers into my wooden baffles and cups.

Notes to consider:

1. I have differently shaped ear-canals. As a child I fractured my skull (says a lot right?) and as a result the right side is different from the left. The fatigue always happens on the right side.
2. My source is a FiiO X5 and FiiO E12, with the gain on the E12 switched on (16dB) and the bass boost on.
3. I am listening at pretty low levels (the volume turned a quarter of the dial from the off position).

Any input from the group would be most welcome. I know the obvious solution: just use your woodies. I would like to know what the heck is causing this though...

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,750 of 2,832
Fleasbaby, are your cables single entry or double entry (likehtr2d2's woodies) for the plastic cups?

The single entry adds two feet of signal travel to the right driver. I'm not sure if this would have an impact??

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,751 of 2,832
...so I have an issue I was hoping to get some guidance on with stock T50rp mods (not woodies)...

With a regular pair of T50rp, modded using the standard methods (cotton, felt, etc, etc), I tend to get fatigue in my right ear after listening for roughly two hours. I am trying to figure out the cause and eliminate it. These are my findings so far:

1. It comes with the stock, Shure and Brainwavz pads.
2. It comes with clay and without clay in the baffles.
3. It comes with felt and without felt on the back of the driver.
4. It comes with and without cotton in cups.
5. It comes with and without Silverstone in cups.
6. It doesn't come when I transplant the drivers into my wooden baffles and cups.

Notes to consider:

1. I have differently shaped ear-canals. As a child I fractured my skull (says a lot right?) and as a result the right side is different from the left. The fatigue always happens on the right side.
2. My source is a FiiO X5 and FiiO E12, with the gain on the E12 switched on (16dB) and the bass boost on.
3. I am listening at pretty low levels (the volume turned a quarter of the dial from the off position).

Any input from the group would be most welcome. I know the obvious solution: just use your woodies. I would like to know what the heck is causing this though...

So much can go wrong with a full transplant. But I can't say much I've never done it.

I know my pair has a slight imbalance in response from left to right. Some higher male voices tend to separate, and the lower end of cymbals separate also, the lower end is louder in the left vs the right. Problem is, as we all know, every little tiny difference can change the response hugely.

The schenn factory, even with their most precicly made drivers, are hand matched for their hd800s, and the difference can be large. T50rps are by no means premium, I have a feeling some pairs can be really far off, and being orthos, heh you can't get away not noticing.

So it could be your ears are different, one is more sensitive then the other (we are human after all) or the headphones, the wood, or a combination of everything

My advice is to where them backwards. If your other ear gets sensitive, then its the headphones. If its the same ear, then it's you. If its neither, well I'm assuming its a combo of your ears and headphones

It could be tones you can't hear too, although you can't hear them, they still effect your hearing. Wood may help dampen those tones. Wood always as a more natural tone anyways. ($10k wood violin, vs $10k carbon fiber violin. Carbon is loud and full and projects, textured, huge range... wood is natural, sounds more like its singing then playing)

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,752 of 2,832
Fleasbaby, are your cables single entry or double entry (likehtr2d2's woodies) for the plastic cups?

The single entry adds two feet of signal travel to the right driver. I'm not sure if this would have an impact??

Can that little 2 feet make that much of a difference? Might be a good excuse to get back in there and do a dual-entry mod though...

So much can go wrong with a full transplant. But I can't say much I've never done it.

I know my pair has a slight imbalance in response from left to right. Some higher male voices tend to separate, and the lower end of cymbals separate also, the lower end is louder in the left vs the right. Problem is, as we all know, every little tiny difference can change the response hugely.

The schenn factory, even with their most precicly made drivers, are hand matched for their hd800s, and the difference can be large. T50rps are by no means premium, I have a feeling some pairs can be really far off, and being orthos, heh you can't get away not noticing.

So it could be your ears are different, one is more sensitive then the other (we are human after all) or the headphones, the wood, or a combination of everything

My advice is to where them backwards. If your other ear gets sensitive, then its the headphones. If its the same ear, then it's you. If its neither, well I'm assuming its a combo of your ears and headphones

It could be tones you can't hear too, although you can't hear them, they still effect your hearing. Wood may help dampen those tones. Wood always as a more natural tone anyways. ($10k wood violin, vs $10k carbon fiber violin. Carbon is loud and full and projects, textured, huge range... wood is natural, sounds more like its singing then playing)

Good call...I will wear them backwards this afternoon, see what happens. I agree on the tones stuff. I figured it must be something that's happening beyond normal hearing ranges (for me)....

*EDIT* Just sat with them on for a bit at my desk, backwards. Its me, not the headphones. So one item down. It must be a tone/frequency they are hitting that bugs my funky ear. Its funny, I have perfect hearing, and no other headphones do this...It must be that the fracture altered one of my ear canals just enough to either heighten sensitivity in one, or lower sensitivity in the other.

Woodies for me at my desk tomorrow then!

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,753 of 2,832
Meanwhile: https://sketchfab.com/zgliszcz/models

Pi is the new G:wink:

I will write more tomorrow, today just would suggest to do not print them before I'll check better the sizes. Sculpteo doesn't show exact sizes, but seems to be all right (but I exported them in different way and need to be sure). Some of them might work for specific mod/one side of driver/ might not work well at all:) If you will zoom in enough then you will be able to see geometry from the inside and navigate like in some sort of labyrinth. The good news is they cost same for pair than previous for each. 6.66e on Sculpteo for Pi10 pair, just checked;D

If someone missed link to previous post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,754 of 2,832

I will write more tomorrow, today just would suggest to do not print them before I'll check better the sizes. Sculpteo doesn't show exact sizes, but seems to be all right (but I exported them in different way and need to be sure). Some of them might work for specific mod/one side of driver/ might not work well at all:) If you will zoom in enough then you will be able to see geometry from the inside and navigate like in some sort of labyrinth. The good news is they cost same for pair than previous for each. 6.66e on Sculpteo for Pi10 pair, just checked;D

If someone missed link to previous post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121

Heh much better modeler then me and sketchup, I'm excited to see how they work

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,755 of 2,832

Grzegorz,

You're an artist And a scientist!

Care to rank them for predicted sound quality improvement?

If no, what are your hypotheses about the effects of the various designs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back