Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,756 of 2,832
Ahah, I found it again. I'd sent the file to BMF earlier, but here's the Peavey article on quadratic throat waveguides...
http://www.excelsior-audio.com/Publications/QTWaveguide/QTWaveguide_WhitePaper.pdf

TL/DR: lowers distortion and more importantly can be arrayed which is of primary interest to us.

As for the overall waveguide shape, I would lean towards a simple relatively flat suface so that it offers a planar front. I'm also wondering if Jerg's fuzzor can be somehow incorportated, since the quadratic throat uses foam at the edges to reduce beaming (not that it's particularly relevant in a headphone at short distances, but who knows), so perhaps recess the outer edge of the waveguide so we can stick in some foam that will sit flush with the surface.
OR if we're being super fancy mill out a very fine groove between the holes and put in the foam there to complete the throat profiles. It would be difficult to to get foam in there precisely though. I as thinking maybe something simple like yarn or some other kind of thread? Anything soft but round so you can just mill out a round profile and lay string in. At the edges of the throats a semicircular taper is good enough.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,758 of 2,832
  Heck in no way is that a problem LOL be glad you have someone who shares the appreciation of them and is onboard with the headphone thing. You're a lucky guy.

^^^^ This, mine in no way gives half a crap about my hobbies. You are definitely lucky to have someone enjoy this stuff with you.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,759 of 2,832

Can that little 2 feet make that much of a difference? Might be a good excuse to get back in there and do a dual-entry mod though...

Good call...I will wear them backwards this afternoon, see what happens. I agree on the tones stuff. I figured it must be something that's happening beyond normal hearing ranges (for me)....

*EDIT* Just sat with them on for a bit at my desk, backwards. Its me, not the headphones. So one item down. It must be a tone/frequency they are hitting that bugs my funky ear. Its funny, I have perfect hearing, and no other headphones do this...It must be that the fracture altered one of my ear canals just enough to either heighten sensitivity in one, or lower sensitivity in the other.

Woodies for me at my desk tomorrow then!

...so a fellow head-fier sent me his modded T50rp along with some KAM HP1 to try out and possibly mod for him....I spent some time with his T50rp as well, and they don't bug my funky right ear...

Aside from their horrendously expensive Audio Technica earpads, I was curious to see what the differences were...so I opened them up. Inside I found drivers stripped of the white paper and given felt as a replacement, no Silverstone anywhere, blu-tak in the baffles and the cups, Dynamat under more blu-takon the backs of the cups and cotton stuffed in the cups as well...there was also electrical tape over the bass ports with slits cut in it.

The sound signature is on the warm side.

I think the Dynamat and the lack of Silverstone might be the key to what ails me...more experiments to come...
  ^^^^ This, mine in no way gives half a crap about my hobbies. You are definitely lucky to have someone enjoy this stuff with you.

I collect vinyl records, listen to free-jazz regularly and make my own wooden headphones. My wife steers well clear of a lot of my recreational activities
biggrin.gif
. Seriously, I like solitude, so this suits me for the most part, but if introversion isn't your thing, shared interests are gold.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,760 of 2,832
Oh I love being alone, I miss it very much. anyhow....gotta go buy some chisels and see how bad one hurts when I lose grip and it becomes a permanent part of my forehead.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,761 of 2,832
I'd try replacing the felt with something less porous first. I used a new pair to tune my stripped-of-damping-paper pair back from utter darkness; tried various foams, felts, papers, etc... The closest thing was transpore tape (not 3M brand, though) with an extra layer of very porous micropore-like tape.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,762 of 2,832
So I spent some hours modding my cheap Sony zx-300s. Long story but I used to have the 100s, sounded terrible with lots of mid bass, gave them to my girl friend, bought 300s. My mom comes home, she bought "some headphones" for my little sis. They are 100s, look nothing like the ones I had, but they are them Sound freaking amazing. Nothing like my old 100s, way better then my new 300s. Very balanced

Anyways my "monitor style" with "balanced sound" 300s, actually sound like basshead phones. Turns out the cup is completely open around the whole circumference. Lots of work trying to seal that from the inside, working in full writeup

Now to tie in with T50RP modding. First thing I did was massload the already 95% sealed baffle. Not much space to do it, so I just made a ring around the diver. I played some music while holding the baffle in my hand directly, 0 vibration. So I went and held the stock right baffle. Same thing, no vibration. Leading me to question the T50RP massloading?

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,763 of 2,832
So I spent some hours modding my cheap Sony zx-300s. Long story but I used to have the 100s, sounded terrible with lots of mid bass, gave them to my girl friend, bought 300s. My mom comes home, she bought "some headphones" for my little sis. They are 100s, look nothing like the ones I had, but they are them Sound freaking amazing. Nothing like my old 100s, way better then my new 300s. Very balanced

Anyways my "monitor style" with "balanced sound" 300s, actually sound like basshead phones. Turns out the cup is completely open around the whole circumference. Lots of work trying to seal that from the inside, working in full writeup

Now to tie in with T50RP modding. First thing I did was massload the already 95% sealed baffle. Not much space to do it, so I just made a ring around the diver. I played some music while holding the baffle in my hand directly, 0 vibration. So I went and held the stock right baffle. Same thing, no vibration. Leading me to question the T50RP massloading?

Good question. Up for grabs and testing. See post 1648, page 110 in this thread.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,764 of 2,832
Good question. Up for grabs and testing. See post 1648, page 110 in this thread.

Hmm, I mean the theory is there, heck I stated the full theory myself. Of course with big drivers, and massive baffles I can see a larger difference, I'm not to great at reading those graphs. But the logic is there

Maybe just doesn't do much on these cheap 300s. They are dome drivers oddly enough, and the driver to baffle ratio is much bigger then the T50RPs not as much vibration in the first place

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,765 of 2,832
Or your hands aren't sensitive enough to feel the vibrations? They're pretty small after all...

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,767 of 2,832
Hi Guys,

I updated my post with more info about new wave guides you can take look at http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121    Post #1633 and scroll to "Pi" section.

Thanks,

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,768 of 2,832
  Hi Guys,

I updated my post with more info about new wave guides you can take look at http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121    Post #1633 and scroll to "Pi" section.

Thanks,

What is the profile/geometry of the holes in the pi10?

Also I can't figure out the side views of your g1/2/3/4... it looks like the hole profiles are backwards and narrowing towards the top?

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,769 of 2,832

What is the profile/geometry of the holes in the pi10?

Also I can't figure out the side views of your g1/2/3/4... it looks like the hole profiles are backwards and narrowing towards the top?

Hi Armaegis, 

to make profile/geometry view I'm making some sort of 2 slices:

they might look bit strange:

Because 3d geometry is defined only be the "skin" and its not filled like real object, its better visible at different view (B slice):

but when its printed object, slice will look like that:

most of guides have complicated geometry that vary based on each row of funnels so I decided to give up with side view on Pi guides

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,770 of 2,832
Ah I see now... I was looking at the inverted part and getting confused.

When I mentioned geometry, I was asking how did you determine the taper of those holes. I feel as though acoustic compliance/loading/impedance/mojo could be a factor here, and having complex arrays of holes of differeing tapers and angles would result in inconsistent wavefronts and higher distortion as they would apply differential loading across the surface of the driver.

Especially on the earside, you want the emerging wavefronts to be in sync an merge with each other... which isn't going to happen if you have weird geometries happening.

Other thoughts... can we transplant the magnets into a new combined waveguide/magnet structure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back