Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #166 of 2,017

Comparison to modded cans. Heh I've been on this topic from day one (more like day 2.5), Ive pretty much memorized that post :)

It's no surprise that the new ones are better, but from the details we have, modded mk2s should be identical. So depending on where price points sit for both mk3s and mk2s it might end up being cheaper to self mod for a while while supply of the mk2s last. That's if you don't care about the braided cables or headband. (Again, I'd still swap the pads out. And I'd still recable anyways, and I made a headband that's super great)

But it could be that the new redone venting on the back of the driver, could be better then craft felt could ever be, or maybe the baffle is better then even a modded one, or this or that, we won't know until people get their hands on them (heh mainly bmf and friends)

Reason why it's important, is becuase let's face it... who owns a pair of unmodded mk2s? :wink:

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #167 of 2,017
Reason why it's important, is becuase let's face it... who owns a pair of unmodded mk2s?
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
 This guy.  It's nice to have an unmodded mk2 as reference point to compare a modded mk2.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #169 of 2,017
Which modded Mk2 are you seeking a comparison to? There's the Mad Dog, the Mad Dog Pro, Thunderpants, Alpha Dog (used to own this), Alpha Prime, ZMF, and the list goes on. This was one of the reasons why I compared it directly to the stock Mk2.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #170 of 2,017
yah, thats what I thought. It was pretty clear on the review that it was compared to a stock mk2. I got confused when Seencreative was talking about it just being compared with modded cans.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #171 of 2,017
Which modded Mk2 are you seeking a comparison to? There's the Mad Dog, the Mad Dog Pro, Thunderpants, Alpha Dog (used to own this), Alpha Prime, ZMF, and the list goes on. This was one of the reasons why I compared it directly to the stock Mk2.

Something of a simple DBV. Felt, cotton, foam, and new plast. In reality that's all the mk3s are, so it would be interesting to see, again that's just me, it does make sense to compare them to stock, and leave the modding to the community

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #173 of 2,017
Something of a simple DBV. Felt, cotton, foam, and new plast. In reality that's all the mk3s are, so it would be interesting to see, again that's just me, it does make sense to compare them to stock, and leave the modding to the community

DBV? Sorry....unfamiliar.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #175 of 2,017
Anyone know what the current availability situation is in Japan (or everywhere for that matter)? my best friend is visiting family there at the moment, and i would absolutely love to be able to tell him where to go to give the new MK3 line a listen (and possibly bring me some :) Also some websites internationally in Canada and the UK are showing them in stock. Are they just trickling in globally? 

Thanks in advance anyone with info :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #176 of 2,017

The japanese fostex website shows the new model and lists the famous yodabashi camera store in Akihabara, Tokyo. 
http://www.fostex.jp/20150625/6719/
But maybe I interpret it not correctly :) Maybe someone with japanese knowledge can help. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #178 of 2,017
For those of us in Canada, AVShop.ca has them in the pre-order stage for $179.00 Cdn (T50RPmk3).  They are also showing an identical price for the 40 and 20, although I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough.

It certainly looks like a lot of headphone value at $179.00!  But that efficiency rating dropping down to 92 dB per mW, pretty much makes a beefy amplifier a must-have for owners of these cans.

Allen

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #180 of 2,017
The Mk2 were priced as follows...

T50 - $149.00
T40 - $119.00
T20 - $99.00

The price remained this for a long time, but just before the line was discontinued, the 40 and 20 models edged up a bit.

The old T20 is still available while supplies last at $119.00.

As far as I know they were never the same price for all three models... ever!

Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back