Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Aug 19, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #182 of 2,017
For those of us in Canada, AVShop.ca has them in the pre-order stage for $179.00 Cdn (T50RPmk3).  They are also showing an identical price for the 40 and 20, although I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough.

It certainly looks like a lot of headphone value at $179.00!  But that efficiency rating dropping down to 92 dB per mW, pretty much makes a beefy amplifier a must-have for owners of these cans.

Allen

92db is the typical efficiency of modded cans. So no surprises there. Bit what is surprising, my Classic can drive mine to a good amount of volume. They sound a tad flat though, which may just be the ipod itself. They are only 50ohms.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #185 of 2,017
Excited to see some impressions from Can jam London
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. I want to know if I have a new headphone project!

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #186 of 2,017

Excited to see some impressions from Can jam London
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. I want to know if I have a new headphone project!

I email with Zach Mehrbach from time to time, and he is convinced that the drivers are the same and they only changed the baffle. So, order a couple new style baffles and voila, MK3.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #187 of 2,017
I email with Zach Mehrbach from time to time, and he is convinced that the drivers are the same and they only changed the baffle. So, order a couple new style baffles and voila, MK3.

This is just what I've heard BTW from what numerous sources have told me including my distributor. I of course could get them in hand and be wrong lol.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 3, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #188 of 2,017

This is just what I've heard BTW from what numerous sources have told me including my distributor. I of course could get them in hand and be wrong lol.

Between the TH500RP using them same driver with just a hole cut out of the dampening, the design change of the appearance and slight change to the baffle of the T50RP, and everything else I have seen online, I'm just going to take it as a fact that Fostex is trying to get more $ out of the driver they designed YEARS ago by implementing it in different ways. It only makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. They don't have to use any new equipment to make the drivers they know work amazingly well, they just had to figure out to get them on more people's heads;;;;;;;;;LOOKS.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #190 of 2,017
  IRCC, wasn't the TH500 just the Fostex T50RP driver in a new chassis as well? lol. fostex man hahah

Right, just what I was getting at. Why would they spend more money trying to improve the driver when they can just implement it in a different way (TH500RP) or with a different, prettier design (MK3)?

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #191 of 2,017
Right, just what I was getting at. Why would they spend more money trying to improve the driver when they can just implement it in a different way (TH500RP) or with a different, prettier design (MK3)?

Yepp,

Besides, after modding, they do shine. Only makes sense for them to mod them from the factory and sell them for the same price as normal. Should increase sales to non-DIYers substantially. Which considering the state of the growing can market, and the normal price point of cans with truly good sound.... $179 is dirt cheap.

For us with pairs of modded mk2s, it's no jump at all (even on the mk3s I still vote new pads and rewire) , but to the mass market, I think fostex has a real winner.

EDIT: Of course that's an opinion based an reading and other people's impressions of the mk3s, and my personal mk2s, heh so takeit with a grain of salt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back