Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jul 20, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #137 of 2,017
Well? Don't keep us hanging....

aww man.... what a post 
frown.gif
...please do tell... and also tell how you got them if you are able to.

So sorry, I've just finished an 8 month project at work and now have a little more free time. I'm comparing the T50RP former with the T50RP Mk3. Whether it's the same driver or not, they don't sound like the same headphone. One could tell they're from the same family but the sound is just simply different.

I really like the new T50RP Mk3 a lot actually. To my ears they're more neutral, less warm than the former. The bass in the newer is also tighter whilst the former has somewhat of a bass bloom (at least my friend's unit which I've borrowed...I've not heard of other former T50RPs).The midrange is also transparently clear whilst to me, vocals on the former has a hint of veil (I'm speculating that the upper bass bleeds into the midrange "corrupting" it's clarity). The treble area is where the newer and former differ. There's a greater uniformity in midrange transition to the treble range. This to me makes the T50RP Mk3 more tonally balanced than the former T50RP. It's spacious and airy. However one thing that's reminiscent with the former T50RP, current Mk3, and with the TH500RP too and there seems to be a bit of a spike in the 8kHz (or 10kHz??) area. This to me reminds me I'm listening to the same family of headphones. It's a little distracting for my tastes. It's less noticeable with the T50RP Mk3 since the treble range is more uniform in comparison to it's former brother and other (TH500RP) cousin.

Now the TH50RP Mk3 is no Alpha Dog but at least in my mind they are more similar than with the former T50RP. In fact at least to my opinion, I think the Alpha Dog has provided Fostex the motivation for the T50RP Mk3. The Alpha Dog has that slight added refinement over the T50RP Mk3, but it's also a complete rework on the cups, dampening and also 3x the cost of the Mk3.

I'll write review of the T50RP Mk3 soon but in short I am very impressed for the cost performance of the T50RP Mk3.

[Tests were done on off my iMac + Audirvana Plus -> Aurender Flow]

[Edit: 21st July 2015] And impressions of the T50RP Mk3 are up in my signature.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #138 of 2,017
Guys the drivers are the same as before. The changes are just the cosmetics and the pads.

But when they throw a quote like

"The driver unit incorporating the key Fostex proprietary Regular Phase (RP) Technology diaphragm has been refined to achieve sharper audio reproduction for more accurate monitoring"

Cups, damping, pads (not that pads matter, I'll still change them out) ect aren't drivers or part of drivers. The baffle maybe you can say that's part of the driver, but that's a bit of a stretch. A driver is a driver,

The driver mixed with all the rest, damping, cups, vents ect, is what makes a speaker.

possible it is the diaphragm with the changed traces from the TH500 run

Exactly, many quotes saying it's changed, but then people from Fostex saying it's not.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were on the fence about actually changing it. Then they realized the market is largely going to be people who already own a pair of t50rps (probably modded too) so they need more reason then covered cables and headband to bring people to buy a new pair.

Although, with the comfort changes, and pre-modded versions, should bring in new customers and narrow the market for professional modding businesses

OK I've gotten a more detailed response about what's changed which I've now added to my impressions. In short, the diaphragm is still the same, however the ventilation portion has been tweaked. Similarly the baffle has been redesigned. The earpads are also made of low repulsion urethane whereas the the former was regular urethane.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #139 of 2,017

OK I've gotten a more detailed response about what's changed which I've now added to my impressions. In short, the diaphragm is still the same, however the ventilation portion has been tweaked. Similarly the baffle has been redesigned. The earpads are also made of low repulsion urethane whereas the the former was regular urethane.

Can we get a picture of the changed baffle and the inside of the cup?

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #140 of 2,017
  Can we get a picture of the changed baffle and the inside of the cup?

I have to say I'm uncomfortable with that. The T50RP Mk3 was provided to me for a sonic review and I don't think it'll be a very nice gesture to dismantle the product attempting to reveal or take a path that could lead to reverse engineering the headphone.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #141 of 2,017

I have to say I'm uncomfortable with that. The T50RP Mk3 was provided to me for a sonic review and I don't think it'll be a very nice gesture to dismantle the product attempting to reveal or take a path that could lead to reverse engineering the headphone.

Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't do it if I were in your position either. 

But if anyone who isn't reviewing them could do that, that would be awesome.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #142 of 2,017

mmm :l So really comparable to adding felt to the back of the driver. And Im assuming the baffle is going to be heavier, or more sealed, basically the same as Newplast in current mods.

From all the information Im reading, Im guessing it's going to be something like a DBV mod. 

Which off the top of my head a DBV mod is:

Sealing bass-vents
Baffle weight/seal
Felt on the back of the driver
Cotton
and acoustic foam

the last thing I hope for is a better socket, current mk2 sockets are aweful.

Which to be honest is great. I guarantee these changes will make getting a pair of TX0RPs less daunting for the new buyer. May kill 3rd party commercial modders though. But Ill keep my current pair, in theory they'll sound identical. So Ill do a dual entry re-cable. Ive had the things ready for a long time, I was just waiting to see how the Mk3s were going to turn out.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #144 of 2,017
  Could please someone give me address to web shop where do I can buy MK3 T50rp stock version ?

I have to say I can't find them online in shops in Tokyo even so highly unlikely they're overseas if they're not available in Japan yet. I thought they were released already but looks like still not yet?

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #145 of 2,017

I have to say I can't find them online in shops in Tokyo even so highly unlikely they're overseas if they're not available in Japan yet. I thought they were released already but looks like still not yet?

Very strange. Lot of hype about them but no official information by Fostex.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #146 of 2,017

Very strange. Lot of hype about them but no official information by Fostex.

A lot of hype? Where? In fact I don't see much about the T50RP Mk3s at all.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #148 of 2,017
  Well, there was this on FB, so I guess people were expecting to see them available soon.

Oh I C....I interpreted hype to be lots of talk, lots of posts, and heavy advertising all over.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #150 of 2,017
If anyone that has already had the chance to actually handle a pair of the new cans can answer this - the locking connector on the cable is the same as the previous generation, right? I have a slightly modded MK2 and while I don't think at this point I would buy a new set, I would not mind getting me an orange cable for my MK2, the shorter version, which I assume will be available as a replacement part once they actually start shipping these? Still not on Amazon, is there a production delay or some other issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back