flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #20,851 of 39,414
It’s better to do IEM shopping alone anyway :wink:
u know it was like as if i entered paradise and acted like a child in a candy store :)

form what i read going to canjam is not going to give me the same auditioning experience as going to Hong Kong, so that is why I preferred my trip to be to Hong Kong

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #20,852 of 39,414
u know it was like as if i entered paradise and acted like a child in a candy store :)

form what i read going to canjam is not going to give me the same auditioning experience as going to Hong Kong, so that is why I preferred my trip to be to Hong Kong

Agreed. I was at CanJam London 3 or 4 months before my Hong Kong trip. It’s very enjoyable but a bit manic and I felt like I needed to hurry up my listening sessions. But in HK, I could grab two or three IEMs, sit out if the way and really give them a good listen in a quieter environment. I heard so many amazing things there, Erlkonig, King Arthur, Elysium, Hyla range, Hidition, stuff I would have zero chance of even seeing here in London. It was fantastic

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #20,853 of 39,414
So @Sound Eq you love the Elkroing (spelling) so much but you won’t buy it full price because it’s overpriced, which was my point.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #20,854 of 39,414
Actually it does. Apparently it was the best selling higher end IEM by unit volume at e-earphone last year. Crinacle has measurements up for it too.

I’d love to see articles about that I couldn’t find much about it in North America

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #20,855 of 39,414
I’d love to see articles about that I couldn’t find much about it in North America

I don't know if there's even anything formally written about them in English, much like that Japan only Andro that just got released.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #20,856 of 39,414
Reminds me of a joke: why did the hipster burn their mouth? Because they ate the pizza before it was cool.

it isn’t helpful to draw comparisons to obscure things no one knows. I could like the MW10 andromeda more than anything, but if I don’t provide a frame of reference to production units it’s a silly comparison.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #20,857 of 39,414
Are you in HK?
I tried asking for some advice but I quickly realised I was wasting my time. A few were very knowledgeable though. A girl at letsgoaudio was a U12t user, while the guy at Jaben was rocking a pair of Z1R, from memory.

The different stores in Hong Kong have completely different product lines and some of them are much more interesting than others.

Jaben HK is my favorite and I've been a customer literally since their opening day in 2008. They're the best Fitear distributor outside of Japan, and they do Sony (they can take XJE orders), Mass Kobo, Final and Acoustune although there's not a whole lot of big cans in the store. Derek is super knowledgable and we actually talk in English when we meet because his English is better than his Mandarin (by a little bit) and my Cantonese (by a lot). The two current employees have also been there since 2016-ish, and are both avid audiophiles.

Mingo is close to Jaben and they have a lot more stuff, including some of the real off-the-mainstream brands (Kumitate, Canal Works, etc.) But they have a revolving door of employees and are less helpful in general. Not a good "advice" store and, having purchased from both places, Jaben is just a lot easier to work with.

ECT is on the Island and they have a few really good desktop setups. They don't have as much gear around compared to Mingo though. Reasonably nice although I don't know them really well. Some really good Stax and Schiit demos though.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #20,858 of 39,414
LCD-i4 bad?
That’s a first I’ve heard.

A lot of people say without EQ it sounds off. Audeze relies too much on DSP, which is why I've avoided them.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #20,860 of 39,414
How do y'all feel about packaging and unboxing?

If I love how something sounds I wouldn't turn it down because I don't like the box and accessories, but I also really enjoy when the manufacturer puts some effort in it, and feel like at these price points it should be an assumption as opposed to a bonus

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #20,861 of 39,414
As long as it comes in a box that would protect the contents from drops and rough handling during transit, that’s all I need.

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #20,862 of 39,414
:) click

" And I didn't have any idea what to do but I knew I needed a click
So we put a click on the 24-track which was then synced to the Moog modular
I knew that it could be a sound of the future
But I didn't realize how much impact would be"

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio"

tumblr_pitdg9y01u1szsrns_500.jpg

One of the most frustratingly well-recorded albums I’ve heard in recent memory. Frustrating in that I’d probably implode trying to replicate its quality. :D

How do y'all feel about packaging and unboxing?

If I love how something sounds I wouldn't turn it down because I don't like the box and accessories, but I also really enjoy when the manufacturer puts some effort in it, and feel like at these price points it should be an assumption as opposed to a bonus

I think it’s incredibly underrated, and I make a point to highlight it when manufacturers put in the effort. Similarly, I go as far as to approach them personally at CanJam’s to berate them if I think they could do better. :wink:

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #20,863 of 39,414
One of the most frustratingly well-recorded albums I’ve heard in recent memory. Frustrating in that I’d probably implode trying to replicate its quality. :D

I think it’s incredibly underrated, and I make a point to highlight it when manufacturers put in the effort. Similarly, I go as far as to approach them personally at CanJam’s to berate them if I think they could do better. :wink:
Right?! The Erlkonig is special in that respect, but I don’t think that at 2 or 3000$ you should get much less than that

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #20,865 of 39,414
Agreed on the unboxing and packaging. The Dita Dream XLS blew me away. The Earsonics Grace reminded me that whether you spend $300 or $2200 with them, you receive the same stuff :) I appreciate when manufacturers go above and beyond with the presentation and packaging, but I also hope they don’t just pass that cost along to us consumers.

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back