flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #20,821 of 39,414
I wish my ears played nicer with universals. Must be so much more simple to cope with. Given up buying them as I know most of them won't fit. One way to cure upgradeitis I suppose.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #20,822 of 39,414
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #20,823 of 39,414
I really wanted to look into the Erlkonig, but I've heard so many mixed reviews about it...the scariest of which is that it is boring in it's clarity. I also am pretty pissed that it's so expensive, almost $5000 is too much for a TOTL IEM. I'm not someone who generally scoffs at price, I generally think:if you think somthing is too expensive you are free not to buy it, but this pricing trend alienates even the most passionate of us. This is supposed to be a TOTL IEM, not an experimental AMT speaker IEM or somthing like OBravo does....rant over, I just to hear one.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #20,824 of 39,414
I really wanted to look into the Erlkonig, but I've heard so many mixed reviews about it...the scariest of which is that it is boring in it's clarity. I also am pretty pissed that it's so expensive, almost $5000 is too much for a TOTL IEM. I'm not someone who generally scoffs at price, I generally think:if you think somthing is too expensive you are free not to buy it, but this pricing trend alienates even the most passionate of us. This is supposed to be a TOTL IEM, not an experimental AMT speaker IEM or somthing like OBravo does....rant over, I just to hear one.
the erlkonig was the best iem i heard or auditioned in hong kong, and it beat the following
1- noble khan
2- Elysium universal
3- annole vx
4- solaris
5- legend x special edition
6- sony ier z1r
7- prophile 8
8- jomo brass
9- aaw canary
10- all 64 audio iems
11- jvc anniversary
12- lcd i4 ---- what a disaster earphone, sound is so bad which is def due to impossible fit for me

simply put it is the only iem i look forward to buy used for a discounted price

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #20,825 of 39,414
the erlkonig was the best iem i heard or auditioned in hong kong, and it beat the following
1- noble khan
2- Elysium universal
3- annole vx
4- solaris
6- sony ier z1r
7- prophile 8
8- jomo brass
9- aaw canary
10- all 64 audio iems
11- jvc anniversary
12- lcd i4 ---- what a disaster earphone, sound is so bad which is def due to impossible fit for me

I think you can only really say one IEM flat out beat another if they have a similar tuning intention - V shape, or neutral, or whatever

I personally did find the Erl too clean and almost lacking a unique identity. I’d still take it over the Z1R, but again, apples to oranges imo

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #20,826 of 39,414
1- noble khan
2- Elysium universal
3- annole vx
4- solaris
6- sony ier z1r
7- prophile 8
8- jomo brass
9- aaw canary
10- all 64 audio iems
11- jvc anniversary

So, simply put, I am right. You will only buy it for a discounted price.

Outrageous, unqualified blanket statements like yours are not helpful to the community. You are entitled to your preference, but throwing out a list of arbitrary IEMs to prove me wrong is against the point...Also the LCD i4 is many things, but it is not a disaster IEM. Nor am I sure that a Legend X Special Edition exists....

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #20,827 of 39,414
I think you can only really say one IEM flat out beat another if they have a similar tuning intention - V shape, or neutral, or whatever

I personally did find the Erl too clean and almost lacking a unique identity. I’d still take it over the Z1R, but again, apples to oranges imo
well when i was in hong kong all and i repeat all iems i auditioned sounded just meh at my first visit to the first store, and i was like dam what is happening, although they had different sizes of stock tips for each iem , all of them and i repeat all were just meh sounding to me. And i forgot to bring my own M and L final ear tips with me to hong kong, so I simply asked to get some final tips and had to repeat all auditions of the first 5 iems at that store. Heck jh audio iems if you flush the tip on the nozzle it sounds so different than no flush tip fit to the nozzle. So for me I can understand why we all have so big differences in auditioning universal iems as the factors that influence our perceptions are so related to fit and tips, and how many times i thought i had perfect fit with stock tips to realize it was not

64 audio of my god the stock tios were so bad for me, that i thought maybe those are fake 64audio iems, and I told the store owner man this is bad that i could not believe all the hype about fourte and tia trio, but as i mentioned all things changed after putting final ear tips for me.

for me erlkoning was musical and bold and huge sound stage with great authority that was so engaging

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #20,828 of 39,414
So, simply put, I am right. You will only buy it for a discounted price.

What I've always felt about the Erlkonig is that it's an IEM for audiophiles who love sound but not so much the hobby. You get one really high priced TOTL with adjustable sound signature, swappable faceplates and everything you need to take your sound experience to an extremely high level - you don't really need anything else, you can happily save the rest of your money and never even make a HF account lul

well when i was in hong kong all and i repeat all iems i auditioned sounded just meh, and i was like dam what is happening, although they had different sizes of stock tips for each iem , all of them and i repeat all were just meh sounding to me. And i forgot to bring my own M and L final ear tips with me to hong kong, so I simply asked to get some final tips and had to repeat all auditions of the first 5 iems at that store. Heck jh audio iems if you flush the tip on the nozzle it sounds so different than no flush tip fit to the nozzle. So for me I can understand why we all have so big differences in auditioning universal iems as the factors that influence our perceptions are so related to fit and tips, and how many times i thought i had perfect fit with stock tips to realize it was not

for me erlkoning was musical and bold and huge sound stage with great authority that was so engaging
I personally don't agree with the view that since you didn't enjoy something as much as I did, you heard something else or you didn't hear it right. Tips and seal do make a huge difference of course, but once you've managed to find tips that work well the experience wouldn't be that radically different. I am not arguing that it's a good IEM, nay - it's an amazing performer (and I've ranked it T1 for a reason), but I also felt it wasn't unique enough to make it interesting for me to purchase.

And I do agree with @ceeloChamp that as an IEM alone it doesn't warrant its price tag. I'd say the luxury packaging, switches and faceplates account for a rather decent portion of the price increase

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #20,829 of 39,414
What I've always felt about the Erlkonig is that it's an IEM for audiophiles who love sound but not so much the hobby. You get one really high priced TOTL with adjustable sound signature, swappable faceplates and everything you need to take your sound experience to an extremely high level - you don't really need anything else, you can happily save the rest of your money and never even make a HF account lul

I personally don't agree with the view that since you didn't enjoy something as much as I did, you heard something else or you didn't hear it right. Tips and seal do make a huge difference of course, but once you've managed to find tips that work well the experience wouldn't be that radically different. I am not arguing that it's a good IEM, nay - it's an amazing performer (and I've ranked it T1 for a reason), but I also felt it wasn't unique enough to make it interesting for me to purchase.

And I do agree with @ceeloChamp that as an IEM alone it doesn't warrant its price tag. I'd say the luxury packaging, switches and faceplates account for a rather decent portion of the price increase

even with having totl iems in posession, still i am figuring out which tips work best with some. I start with final ear tips and then go about 20 different other tips I have. so its a long process for me to know which tip works best and between each tip there is a difference and even I get seal with almost all the ones I have but still it does not matter that getting seal is the final say in that, tip rolling makes a huge difference

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #20,830 of 39,414
even with having totl iems in posession, still i am figuring out which tips work best with some. I start with final ear tips and then go about 20 different other tips I have. so its a long process for me to know which tip works best and between each tip there is a difference and I get seal with almost all the ones I have but still it does not matter that getting seal is the final say in that, tip rolling makes a huge difference
I completely agree that it does make a difference, and it's also something I'm struggling with. I'm just saying that you can't waive off someone else's experience with a product to "you didn't hear it right"

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #20,831 of 39,414
I completely agree that it does make a difference, and it's also something I'm struggling with. I'm just saying that you can't waive off someone else's experience with a product to "you didn't hear it right"
of course I agree, this is why i can never really take for granted any review will make me have the same experience , as I know I might have a different take on it. The jh audio iem with having the tips just 1mm over the stem sounds so different than when fully flushed to the nozzle

so when you mentioned you heard lola or layla at canjam, I thought good luck experiencing it properly, even now with using final tips i get different sound from roxanne if the tips are protruded over the nozzle by 1-2 mm, so how can you properly judge an iem in an audition to put a final judgement on it, it is not possible, you have to own it and then comes all the trials and fiddling with tips to come to a final conclusion. yes you can get just a first questionable impression in an audition, but that can charge so much after u own it

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #20,832 of 39,414
of course I agree, this is why i can never really take for granted any review will make me have the same experience , as I know I might have a different take on it. The jh audio iem with having the tips just 1mm over the stem sounds so different than when fully flushed to the nozzle
Exactly, and that's also my struggle when reviewing universal IEMs... there's just so many more factors to consider than a pair of customs

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #20,833 of 39,414
Exactly, and that's also my struggle when reviewing universal IEMs... there's just so many more factors to consider than a pair of customs

with sony ier z1r i made custom tips and that totally changed how it sounded, before it was like recessed mids lacking some presence, and with the custom tips the mids moved forward and got more detailed , as if its a total different iem when it came to its mids experience. So which is the true sound, I do not know but i know that we are all divided in our opinion as there so many variables that are countless to standardize for universal iems.

Let alone your physical state and its effect on your hearing on that day, as for me, sometimes everything sounds like crap and on other days I just say wow what a great iem

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #20,835 of 39,414
LCD-i4 bad?
That’s a first I’ve heard.
you see, that is exactly what I am trying to say, to me it was the worst totl iem i ever heard, will i put a final judgement on it, of course not. But my auditioning experience with it was horrible, that I told ECT employee man i am struggling with it alot, and I simply could not get it sound even close to be acceptable

The same applies when people say kse1500 has no bass, yes in my first audtion with stock tips it was perceived like that, then I did a mod where I cut off the stem of an old tip and rolled over it the final ear tips and i can tell you the kse1500 has a solid bass. And I am familiar with bass sounding iems as I own alot of these

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back