flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #20,837 of 39,414
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #20,838 of 39,414
I’ll leave this for the bassheads amongst us :D

@pithyginger63 youre up I think

Lola with final ear tips :) with flush nozzle fit for the ear tips, with at least 250 hours burn in :wink:, bass dial set at 2 o'clock

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #20,839 of 39,414
you see, that is exactly what I am trying to say, to me it was the worst totl iem i ever heard, will i put a final judgement on it, of course not. But my auditioning experience with it was horrible, that I told ECT employee man i am struggling with it alot, and I simply could not get it sound even close to be acceptable

The same applies when people say kse1500 has no bass, yes in my first audtion with stock tips it was perceived like that, then I did a mod where I cut off the stem of an old tip and rolled over it the final ear tips and i can tell you the kse1500 has a solid bass. And I am familiar with bass sounding iems as I own alot of these
The thing with the i4 is that you can’t just audition them at canjam. You need a quiet environment to enjoy them. They do not even filter out noise.

you also do not need to insert them deep in the ear canal. You also need to try them first with the cipher cable from your phone. It did not sound good to me straight from a DAP until I figured out EQ.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #20,840 of 39,414
The thing with the i4 is that you can’t just audition them at canjam. You need a quiet environment to enjoy them. They do not even filter out noise.

you also do not need to insert them deep in the ear canal. You also need to try them first with the cipher cable from your phone. It did not sound good to me straight from a DAP until I figured out EQ.

i listened to them at ECT store in hong kong and it was very very quiet, and I had my iphone with me, as I am no stranger to audeze isine earphones, as I owned isine 20 and I know all about eq ( hint my user name :) ) , although with other iems I never use eq now. But simply it was not a great auditioning . You see how different we perceive things, this is why I never get angry if someone tells me my impressions are totally wrong, which could be true in relation to his/her audition. For example look at currawong review about roxanne and he mentions spinfit, and I have all models of spinfit and almost all sizes and with roxanne spinfit for me turns roxanne into a very bad iem

Just watch and monitor the Dunnu Lunar thread after more people get their hands on it, it will be a roller coster of different opinions, and that is going to be solely cause of fit variances

And since iems are so difficult to give impressions universally across the board, so for anyone who is curious to know what is my preferred sound signature. The easiest way to put is like this : hifiman he1000se with chord hugo tt2 using phasure lush2 usb cable , that is to me a great sound. So you can draw some better conclusion of what is a good sound to me, which can be be experienced by different people almost the same i way perceive it as there are not so many variables

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #20,841 of 39,414
i listened to them at ECT store in hong kong and it was very very quiet, and I had my iphone with me, as I am no stranger to audeze isine earphones, as I owned isine 20 and I know all about eq ( hint my user name :) ) , although with other iems I never use eq now. But simply it was not a great auditioning . You see how different we perceive things, this is why I never get angry if someone tells me my impressions are totally wrong, which could be true in relation to his/her audition
Indeed, we all hear things differently.
Of all the IEMs I’ve owned, the i4 needed the most adjustment (both fitting and EQ). It took a few days to get used to it. But once I got it dialed in, it was just pure bliss.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #20,842 of 39,414
Nor am I sure that a Legend X Special Edition exists....

Actually it does. Apparently it was the best selling higher end IEM by unit volume at e-earphone last year. Crinacle has measurements up for it too.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #20,843 of 39,414
Actually it does. Apparently it was the best selling higher end IEM by unit volume at e-earphone last year. Crinacle has measurements up for it too.
I heard it at DMA in Hong Kong, and I liked it alot. It seems that sometimes for Hong Kong there are special releases that do not get released elsewhere

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #20,844 of 39,414
I heard it at DMA in Hong Kong, and I liked it alot. It seems that sometimes for Hong Kong there are special releases that do not get released eleswhere

Japan too. The market for IEMs is so much bigger in Asia than anywhere else in the world that I'm not surprised they get all sorts of special editions and other things that aren't available in the west.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #20,845 of 39,414
Japan too. The market for IEMs is so much bigger in Asia than anywhere else in the world that I'm not surprised they get all sorts of special editions and other things that aren't available in the west.
so true, if they went with the special edition tuning I will assume it would be more to the liking of audiophiles, which is very strange why they did not make that as the main sound signature for LX

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #20,846 of 39,414
I was astonished during my visit to Hong Kong in November. Not only are there scores of shops selling loads of high end brands, but I also saw more people with very good and/or TOTL IEMs in my 10 days there than I’ve seen in my 21 years living in London. There’s definitely a much bigger appetite for better quality sound there than here in my experience

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #20,847 of 39,414
I was astonished during my visit to Hong Kong in November. Not only are there scores of shops selling loads of high end brands, but I also saw more people with very good and/or TOTL IEMs in my 10 days there than I’ve seen in my 21 years living in London. There’s definitely a much bigger appetite for better quality sound there than here in my experience

not to bash dealers in my country who sell totl iems and they themselves never listened to them :), and what cracks me is when people come and ask their advise. I swear some dealers here sell iems that they themselves never listened to as they do not want to open the box . and then when someone calls them for advise they start talking like Estein describing it

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #20,848 of 39,414
not to bash dealers in my country who sell totl iems and they themselves never listened to them :), and what cracks me is when people come and ask their advise

Are you in HK?
I tried asking for some advice but I quickly realised I was wasting my time. A few were very knowledgeable though. A girl at letsgoaudio was a U12t user, while the guy at Jaben was rocking a pair of Z1R, from memory.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #20,849 of 39,414
Are you in HK?
I tried asking for some advice but I quickly realised I was wasting my time. A few were very knowledgeable though. A girl at letsgoaudio was a U12t user, while the guy at Jaben was rocking a pair of Z1R, from memory.
I went there for a visit with my wife and son, and I spent my vacation there in audio shops and my wife and son swore they will never go with me to hong kong again :)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #20,850 of 39,414
I went there for a visit with my wife and son, and I spent my vacation there in shops and wife and son swore they will never go with me to hong kong again :)

It’s better to do IEM shopping alone anyway :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back