flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,021 of 39,414

Review of the KLM Earpads

Unboxing.

Design

The KLM headset has an earmuff design, consisting of two individual earpieces to be attached behind the ears with a plastic placeholder, similar to sunglasses. The material is a white, marginally flexible plastic, with the KLM logo printed in blue on the outside. The soft padding of the earphones ensures a comfortable fit for a lengthy period of time, although it should be noted that the over-ear design does not allow for a significant amount of isolation. 

Timeless design.

Sound impressions

Presentation
The KLM Earpads have a brighter than neutral signature, characterised by an upper midrange peak and laidback mid-bass. Although its stage might be considered intimate, the distant position of the mid-bass and its laidback quantity results in sufficient clarity with moderate airiness, and even adequate layering ability within its price tier. While the Earpads create airiness on the stage by enhancing the upper midrange, the air surrounding instruments and vocals is not very clean, and instruments lack definition as a result of the rolled up mid to upper treble. As much as I hate to say it, the resolution is simply not very great; some work needs to be done here. Suffice to say, Beercap AEP-17 performs better in this regard.

Bass
Overall, the bass is lighter than neutral in its quantity. In addition, the lower end extension is not very impressive, resulting in shallow hits that can be heard as taps in the background, but not felt. In addition, by attenuating the mid-bass, the warmth of the bass cannot compensate for the upper midrange peak, resulting in an overall brighter tone.

Midrange
The lower midrange is recessed, resulting in a leaner note structure. Accordingly, midrange notes do not carry a lot of weight. Due to the prominent 5 Khz peak, the vocal presentation is laidback, thin, and rather diffused; the KLM earpads struggle to form a solid center image. In addition, the tone of the midrange is not completely natural. The upper midrange peak puts stress on the note release, resulting in harshness in the presentation.

Treble
The Earpads gently start rolling off after the upper midrange peak, and increasingly more so after roughly 7 KHz. Accordingly, the treble tone is not as bright as the upper midrange, and the treble quantity can be considered roughly neutral. The downside is that the KLM earpads are not very upfront in their detail; especially finer elements tend to get lost.

Select comparisons

KLM Earpads vs. Non-stop crying baby behind me
The crying baby contrasts the KLM Earpads with a midcentric signature, and main energy in the 3-4 KHz region. Similar to the Earpads, the mid-bass presentation is laidback, resulting in a brighter than neutral tone. However, due to better treble extension, crying baby has greater transparency and resolution. In addition, its imaging is more pinpoint precise - the tone is more easily localised in space. Notes have more focus in comparison to the fuzzy and diffused presentation of the Earpads. It betters the Earpads in its ability to form a solid, and dare I say, 3D vocal presentation. It still doesn’t produce very dense or warm vocals, so it tends to favor female over male vocals – this isn’t something you’d use to put on to kick back with some Frank Sinatra or Leonard Cohen. While its tone is not as bright as the Earpads, I would be hesitant to describe it as completely natural, due to the lack of bass and accordingly warmth in the tone. In both cases, the tone is not completely accurate, and there is a tendency towards harshness when played at louder volumes.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,022 of 39,414
Where can I get this Non-stop crying baby behind me 
Hm....may need to talk to the wife. I heard the wait time is around 9 months.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,023 of 39,414
Where can I get this Non-stop crying baby behind me 
Hm....may need to talk to the wife. I heard the wait time is around 9 months.

Yeah delivery time is pretty long. It's still a prototype though, the Empire Ears Crying Baby. They're trying to fit in ADEL technology.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,025 of 39,414
Great review. Too bad it wasn't United Airlines Earpads...I heard they are so engaging they will literally drag you out of you seat.

It's a very hands on experience. The bass literally blows you off the plane.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,026 of 39,414
Great review. Too bad it wasn't United Airlines Earpads...I heard they are so engaging they will literally drag you out of you seat.

It's a very hands on experience. The bass literally blows you off the plane.

That's it...winner of the shootout!

~end of thread~

#locked

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,027 of 39,414
I had nonstop screaming baby, traded up to sullen, depressed adolescent. Considering trading back "down",but I think there is a"no return" policy.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,029 of 39,414
I heard there's a program called 'disown' but it is usually only reserved for serious cases and also usually only seen in Asian cultures

Usually involves this guy.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #1,030 of 39,414
Apr 12, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,031 of 39,414

Review of the KLM Earpads

Design

Sound impressions
Select comparisons

Thanks for this excellent review! At least now I know I don't have to steal eeeeh buy these the next time I fly with them...

Do you think you can keep this up (one review a day) thoughout your entire holliday?
wink.gif

Yep...first they make you an offer they think you can not refuse...

after that, well...

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,032 of 39,414

Thanks for this excellent review! At least now I know I don't have to steal eeeeh buy these the next time I fly with them...

Actually I forgot to mention it was a review sample, I didn't have to pay for them. I used all my charm and persuasion to explain I am an important reviewer and could share impressions, so she agreed. But then I later found out everybody had received them for free. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,034 of 39,414
Hey guys, a quick update about the earphone. After pairing and trying them with several players, I found that this combo gives the perfect synergy with the KLM:

Although incompatible with the 'Non-stop crying baby behind me', this player can deliver sound with high flying colours. It takes off with a nice black background. The vocals are presented well with a captain-like authority. The mids feels a bit airy, and the treble slightly elevated, but all well-controlled. The bass can be really felt, as it rumbles throughout your body from time to time. In conclusion, this combo, is hands-down one of the best there is to pair with KLM.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #1,035 of 39,414
I had nonstop screaming baby, traded up to sullen, depressed adolescent. Considering trading back "down",but I think there is a"no return" policy.

Ah yes from what I heard depressed adolescent has a flatter response, with a more prominent low end. But realistically, you don't have to be a basshead to realise crying baby is rather bass light, and it can be downright harsh for sensitive listeners. Some people describe it as less musical, but I guess it really boils down to preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back