flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #13,486 of 39,414
lets change topic bout solaris

any inside info from any of the big gun companies bout new totl releases in 2019 :)

hope sharing inside info will not cause more trouble to anyone else

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #13,487 of 39,414
Not sure if your idea of moderation is the same as mine.

1. Dismissing the graphs
2. Accusing Sony of "astroturfing"

Sounds more like adding fuel to the fire.
In a heated argument, it's easy to get emotional and defensive. When I read the thread it was one mudsling after another and I too was glossing over details because I wanted to see the end of it and get back to topic. So I don't remember the specifics but got the general vibe.

In my eyes one dude fanned the flames the most, and it's not David. AFAIK David and Crin are great guys doing their bit for the community and I think the takeaways are 1) comment only after listening, and 2) it's ok to disagree but don't resort to personal attacks.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #13,488 of 39,414
lets change topic bout solaris

any inside info from any of the big gun companies bout new totl releases in 2019 :)

hope sharing inside info will not cause more trouble to anyone else
Noble has Khan
VE has Erlkonig (Probably butchered the spelling)
I hear some electrostats too.

In a heated argument, it's easy to get emotional and defensive. When I read the thread it was one mudsling after another and I too was glossing over details because I wanted to see the end of it and get back to topic. So I don't remember the specifics but got the general vibe.

In my eyes one dude fanned the flames the most, and it's not David. AFAIK David and Crin are great guys doing their bit for the community and I think the takeaways are 1) comment only after listening, and 2) it's ok to disagree but don't resort to personal attacks.
True, david just went about it the wrong way. But enough with that stuff, on to other things.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #13,490 of 39,414
Noble has Khan
VE has Erlkonig (Probably butchered the spelling)
I hear some electrostats too.

True, david just went about it the wrong way. But enough with that stuff, on to other things.

i wonder if any new upcomingf electrostat iem would top kse1500, kse1500 which i heard to me its among the best iems out there period

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #13,491 of 39,414
The Solaris are very well built and sound quite impressive. I can't say why but they'd didn't appeal to me on the first test. Just don't sound like I like it somehow (I know that's vague but watcha gonna do? ).

i did not hear solaris, but heard andromeda which was ok, and heard vega and did not like it all

i still would like to give solaris a try

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #13,492 of 39,414
My eyes are fixated on JVC's HA-FW10000.

Such beauties.

jvc1031_fw10000_open.jpg

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #13,493 of 39,414
My eyes are fixated on JVC's HA-FW10000.

Such beauties.

+1 here looks like they’re out of stock already and will be crazy hard to source.. any tips?

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #13,494 of 39,414
Not sure if your idea of moderation is the same as mine.
1. Dismissing the graphs
2. Accusing Sony of "astroturfing"
Sounds more like adding fuel to the fire.

Just to clarify : not what I wrote.

Sony doesn’t need to resort to this kind of tactics but I am not delusional, there is a pretty identifiable pattern for some of those posts (not all of course) that derailed it. It was just pretty tiresome to see user with no posts fueling the derailing of the thread, getting likes from users with a few fake posts. Not sure who or why but there was some manufacturing. At some point you need to call it out, not everyone knows about those patterns.

Anyway, both Ken and Crinacle posted a statement and I was the first to like crincale’s post.
He was instrumentalized by others there, of that I am convinced.
His answer was thoughtful and genuine and Campfire has contacted him so that they can figure out what happens.
This is how things get resolved, not in a public court with people fueling the fire for their own agenda.

Case closed!

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #13,495 of 39,414
Just to clarify : not what I wrote.

Sony doesn’t need to resort to this kind of tactics but I am not delusional, there is a pretty identifiable pattern for some of those posts (not all of course) that derailed it. It was just pretty tiresome to see user with no posts fueling the derailing of the thread, getting likes from users with a few fake posts. Not sure who or why but there was some manufacturing. At some point you need to call it out, not everyone knows about those patterns.

Anyway, both Ken and Crinacle posted a statement and I was the first to like crincale’s post.
He was instrumentalized by others there, of that I am convinced.
His answer was thoughtful and genuine and Campfire has contacted him so that they can figure out what happens.
This is how things get resolved, not in a public court with people fueling the fire for their own agenda.

Case closed!
Yes, you're correct. I read your comments and took it in the wrong context. I think in hindsight there could have been a better way to deal with it. But on the bright side it got CA's attention. Hate to see them go under because of a bunch of morons.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #13,497 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #13,498 of 39,414
Now now back to IEMs

Actually that’s exactly what I am doing... 3 hours with the IT01S... pretty puzzled at what iBasso has pulled off. In fact it makes me happy for this hobby that such an affordable IEM is so good and more importantly with such a mature and refined tuning. Still trying to wrap my head around it, almost kind of disturbing...

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #13,499 of 39,414
Its not hard to get a decent sounding tuning, especially when using a half decent dynamic driver like the IT01. Big mid-bass emphasis gives you the dynamics, appropriate compensation for pinna bypass, treble peaks give you appropriate amounts of air. A pretty safe tuning that a lot of earphones like the Andromeda follow but it clearly works. Dynamic driver gives you less timbre problems than a lot of BA based earphones suffer from too.

The Final E2000 is basically the cost of a set of Final E series tips and I'd still take it over the majority of high price earphones because the tuning is appropriately correct. Tonality and timbre always come first, price is irrelevant when it comes to both.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #13,500 of 39,414
I had the FMJ Layla II's for close to two years before selling them. I think I largely agree with you that the FMJ is brighter than the original universal Layla's. They are also very ear canal-dependent as I've met many people who simply cannot fit either model.

That said, IMO the u18t with a good aftermarket cable and tips outclasses the Layla 2 in almost every way, unless bass quantity adjustment is absolutely critical. I would disagree with JH that the Layla does not need a refresh, since I suspect the 4-year-old BA models in the Layla can't match the performance envelop of 64's more recently developed BA's. There was a time when I would have given the opposite view, but having owned and spent extensive time with both I want to see what JH can do with an updated fully BA design.

Can't argue much at the $1500-ish price point of the FMJ Layla 2's, though.

I tend to disagree, but I think it's because of the reasons Nic outlined in his review. The Layla is absolutely not for individuals who prefer detail- or sparkle-prioritised signatures. It can definitely spit out tons of detail, but it doesn't push them in your face anywhere near as much as the U18t. The U18t is great, but I've always felt that its gobs of energy hurt imaging and resolution at the end of the day. The U18t always sounds like it's trying to excite and although that's awesome to hear for the first hour or so, it starts to depreciate the longer you go. The Layla is outstandingly transparent to my ears, with the ability to both clinically separate a mix and give instruments the body and weight they deserve - a near-impossible feat in my experience. But of course, different strokes for different folks.

Looks like Layla brought one more guy to his knees lol.

I heard and loved it too. The original gigantic UIEM with the heated titanium ring. Organic and super spacious. Lacks a bit of sparkle but that isn't what it's aiming for.

Group buy, anyone?

You have no idea how often I sing Layla's guitar riff + chorus; more addictive than the IEMs themselves. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back