flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 26, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #13,456 of 39,414
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #13,457 of 39,414
So... I have been very lucky to get a little time with @Mimouille SE6 ...

I expected mids to be fuller sounding ... I wished for more lower mids. The mids have great separation, very articulate and layered but I missed a bit of body and warmth ... The highs are well extended with a lot of detail, but I found myself wishing for more sparkle.

Funny - I also find that thin mids, lack of lower mids and muted treble are weaknesses... but on the SE5 Ultimate. Sad to hear that these may still be present on the SE6. Perhaps it's the Spiral Ear "housesound".

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #13,458 of 39,414
I agree with you too, but that's a "relative to other IEM" feeling. Alone the SE5U are very organic and certainly not lacking body, but yeah, compared to the VE8 for example, they're missing that energetic body you can find in the low mids and trebles of the German flagship.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #13,459 of 39,414
Santa has just left us quite the belated Christmas gift... (@pithyginger63, you might wanna check this one out :p)

NicLayla-8.jpg

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #13,460 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #13,461 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #13,462 of 39,414
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Deezel!

Merry Christmas and happy New Year’s to you too, man! You know what they say: “New year, new content.” :wink:

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #13,463 of 39,414
@Deezel177 Just when I was wondering what became of @flinkenick :)

Off to reading!
Nic is keeping a low profile, but still very much the spider in his head-fi web, seducing the naive into the TOTL realm. I am still in contact with him and it goes a little something like this...

:innocent:Me:innocent: "Hey Nic, how are you mate!"
:imp:Nic:imp: "Great! Here is the Track and Trace number."
:innocent:Me:innocent: "You sure I can borrow it?"
:imp:Nic:imp: "It's them, you can borrow them as long as you like."
:innocent:Me:innocent: "Received your parcel... OMG! So much!"
:imp:Nic:imp: "Legend X is particularly good. Just your type of sound."
:innocent:Me:innocent: "Definitely liking those!"
:imp:Nic:imp: "Maybe you would like to buy some for yourself?"
:imp:Nic:imp: "Perfect compliment to your Phantom!"
:smiling_imp:Me:smiling_imp: "Hun... My darling dear... Light of my life... We need to talk puppies."
:imp:Nic:imp: "Almost forgot... Here is your Track and Trace."

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #13,464 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #13,465 of 39,414
Merry Christmas and happy New Year’s to you too, man! You know what they say: “New year, new content.” :wink:
I have a quick question. I'm honestly still not very knowledgeable about audio; one of my biggest problems is determining what is bass, mids, and treble. I've really only had a narrow experience with high end gear, my first high end purchase was a blind buy with no auditioning :p so i've mainly gotten accustomed (pun intended) to my A12t's and demoed a few iems here and there for only a few minutes at a time.

When I first heard the Layla's very recently, it sounded somewhat similar but with a few differences that I can't put my finger on yet, though the one thing that did stand out to me was the pitch of hi-hats being more noticeable than on my A12t's. What portion of the sound frequency would that be considered? Mids or Treble?

Thanks Deezel!

ps: I just realized the article was written by nic :p

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #13,466 of 39,414

Interesting. When I tried the full metal jacket a while ago, it seemed quite dry and analytical to me.

Nice post-Xmas read! For the more technically astute forum members, a question about phase: given that one of the key building blocks of the JH Audio sound is the FreqPhase tubing that ensure all frequency ranges hit the read at the same time / correct for phase diverted between the various BA drivers, do you think the custom JH range would be able to achieve this better (as the phase-correct delivery would be occurring at a point deeper into the ear canal), bypassing some of the outer-ear? Or is the fact the sound is entering a sealed ear canal "phase-correct" good enough?

Just wondering if the CIEM versions will sound divergent (apart from seal, obviously) as a result of the tech being used. Hope that makes sense!

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #13,467 of 39,414
I haven’t had enough time with it, but it’s a 12 wire gold plated copper, what stood out was great textures and macro dynamics. I need more time to really provide feedback. One thing for sure, it’s very competitively priced and the build is top notch!

what is that cable name and how much it costs

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #13,468 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #13,469 of 39,414
Interesting. When I tried the full metal jacket a while ago, it seemed quite dry and analytical to me.

I tend to agree. I tried the FMJ version some time ago and found it a touch too sparklg relative to the mid-bass. It should be the result of the titanium shell, since the internals are exactly the same as per a JHAudio rep. The same goes for the K10Au, which I found far more sibilant than the acrylic version, despite John Moulton stating that the internals were unchanged.

I have a quick question. I'm honestly still not very knowledgeable about audio; one of my biggest problems is determining what is bass, mids, and treble. I've really only had a narrow experience with high end gear, my first high end purchase was a blind buy with no auditioning :p so i've mainly gotten accustomed (pun intended) to my A12t's and demoed a few iems here and there for only a few minutes at a time.

When I first heard the Layla's very recently, it sounded somewhat similar but with a few differences that I can't put my finger on yet, though the one thing that did stand out to me was the pitch of hi-hats being more noticeable than on my A12t's. What portion of the sound frequency would that be considered? Mids or Treble?

Thanks Deezel!

ps: I just realized the article was written by nic :p

The pitch of hi-hats would be in the lower-treble. A 6kHz peak gives hi-hats more melody for lack of a better word, but bumping it too much causes plasticity. The bright tizz of hi-hats generally lies at 10kHz, which gives it the sharp tick-y-ness.

Nice post-Xmas read! For the more technically astute forum members, a question about phase: given that one of the key building blocks of the JH Audio sound is the FreqPhase tubing that ensure all frequency ranges hit the read at the same time / correct for phase diverted between the various BA drivers, do you think the custom JH range would be able to achieve this better (as the phase-correct delivery would be occurring at a point deeper into the ear canal), bypassing some of the outer-ear? Or is the fact the sound is entering a sealed ear canal "phase-correct" good enough?

Just wondering if the CIEM versions will sound divergent (apart from seal, obviously) as a result of the tech being used. Hope that makes sense!

As far as FreqPhase goes, the same principles should apply to both customs and universals with equal effect. The frequencies arrive simultaneously at the end of the bore, so regardless of the depth difference, time and phase should be left intact. The difference in that regard would probably be where peaks and dips are located along the FR. But, from my experience with universal and custom Layla’s, FreqPhase is equally effective in both cases.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #13,470 of 39,414
Well, since Solaris thread is still closed (going through a deep cleansing :wink:), let me share my latest Campfire Audio Solaris review here. Of course, will publish it on a head-fi soon as well.

cfa_solaris-34.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back