flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #13,471 of 39,414
Well, since Solaris thread is still closed (going through a deep cleansing :wink:), let me share my latest Campfire Audio Solaris review here. Of course, will publish it on a head-fi soon as well.

Yeah well, moderators have a lot of work to do with that astroturfing op we suffered yesterday :zipper_mouth:

Off to reading your review!

Edit : thanks for all the cable pairing tips, and comparison especially to 64 audio N8 that could very well be a very serious custom alternative to the Solaris with more kick... food for thoughts

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #13,473 of 39,414
Er, what... did I miss something? All I saw was a report of measured unit variance and some (understandably) ensuing drama.

I don’t want to stir this up here but yeah that started that way but blew well out of proportion before we even could have a substantiated report of what is happening or supposed to be happening. This will all blow over... but let’s just say it clearly didn’t start with people that even have an interest in the Solaris or even previously contributed to the thread. A lot of those newcomers actually fed the troll, more than would naturally occur I’ll leave it at that :p

Not sure the drama, insults, pitchforks and agressivity was understandable... this is a hobby and should be about fun and sharing :) (oh and mutual respect should be a given)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #13,474 of 39,414
I remain confused, where did astroturfing come into play? I didn't read everything and may have missed things that were cleaned up by a mod. Feel free to PM if you don't feel it's appropriate for this thread (I only ask here as it was brought up here).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #13,475 of 39,414
I remain confused, where did astroturfing come into play? I didn't read everything and may have missed things that were cleaned up by a mod. Feel free to PM if you don't feel it's appropriate for this thread (I only ask here as it was brought up here).

I haven’t logged everything but a lot has been cleaned up and now it would not look like it was. Let’s forget this and hope this doesn’t happen again, I was one inch away from simply unsubscribing to the thread and stop contributing.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #13,476 of 39,414
I can only speak from a personal experience of how Solaris fits in my ears and how that pair “in my ears” sounds. With that in minds, I find these new flagship IEMs nearly perfect with its balanced coherent signature, natural detailed tonality, and luxurious eye-candy design.
>.<

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #13,477 of 39,414
Solaris is by far the most controversial IEM in the history of head-fi.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #13,478 of 39,414
I tend to agree. I tried the FMJ version some time ago and found it a touch too sparklg relative to the mid-bass. It should be the result of the titanium shell, since the internals are exactly the same as per a JHAudio rep. The same goes for the K10Au, which I found far more sibilant than the acrylic version, despite John Moulton stating that the internals were unchanged.

The pitch of hi-hats would be in the lower-treble. A 6kHz peak gives hi-hats more melody for lack of a better word, but bumping it too much causes plasticity. The bright tizz of hi-hats generally lies at 10kHz, which gives it the sharp tick-y-ness.

As far as FreqPhase goes, the same principles should apply to both customs and universals with equal effect. The frequencies arrive simultaneously at the end of the bore, so regardless of the depth difference, time and phase should be left intact. The difference in that regard would probably be where peaks and dips are located along the FR. But, from my experience with universal and custom Layla’s, FreqPhase is equally effective in both cases.

I had the FMJ Layla II's for close to two years before selling them. I think I largely agree with you that the FMJ is brighter than the original universal Layla's. They are also very ear canal-dependent as I've met many people who simply cannot fit either model.

That said, IMO the u18t with a good aftermarket cable and tips outclasses the Layla 2 in almost every way, unless bass quantity adjustment is absolutely critical. I would disagree with JH that the Layla does not need a refresh, since I suspect the 4-year-old BA models in the Layla can't match the performance envelop of 64's more recently developed BA's. There was a time when I would have given the opposite view, but having owned and spent extensive time with both I want to see what JH can do with an updated fully BA design.

Can't argue much at the $1500-ish price point of the FMJ Layla 2's, though.

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #13,479 of 39,414
Solaris is by far the most controversial IEM in the history of head-fi.

Don't know about that. I've been around for awhile and seen some pretty big disagreements, including threads closed, and vile things said within the threads.
Certainly one of the biggest in recent years. Almost felt like a mob hit.

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #13,480 of 39,414
At least I had nothing to do with it, this time. :)

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #13,481 of 39,414
Don't know about that. I've been around for awhile and seen some pretty big disagreements, including threads closed, and vile things said within the threads.
Certainly one of the biggest in recent years. Almost felt like a mob hit.

Clearly...

Ken has provided a long and thoughtful response and it’s quite along the lines of what I would have expected. I hope this will put things to rest...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #13,482 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #13,483 of 39,414
I don’t want to stir this up here but yeah that started that way but blew well out of proportion before we even could have a substantiated report of what is happening or supposed to be happening. This will all blow over... but let’s just say it clearly didn’t start with people that even have an interest in the Solaris or even previously contributed to the thread. A lot of those newcomers actually fed the troll, more than would naturally occur I’ll leave it at that :p

Not sure the drama, insults, pitchforks and agressivity was understandable... this is a hobby and should be about fun and sharing :) (oh and mutual respect should be a given)
You tried to moderate things but got called names instead. I felt bad bcos I know some of these guys from my region who. Some of them are, for lack of a nastier word, passionate. Credit where it's due, they heard it before commenting.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #13,484 of 39,414
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #13,485 of 39,414
You tried to moderate things but got called names instead. I felt bad bcos I know some of these guys from my region who. Some of them are, for lack of a nastier word, passionate. Credit where it's due, they heard it before commenting.
Not sure if your idea of moderation is the same as mine.

1. Dismissing the graphs
2. Accusing Sony of "astroturfing"

Sounds more like adding fuel to the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back