flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #24,617 of 39,419
My wife is out of town this weekend, so will get plenty of listening time with these beauties.
As an admittted basshead, I was saying to a few other guys earlier that - while I still prefer the bass on the LX SE - BA bass, especially on the 18s and Erlky, can be simply spectacular.

2DF463C8-A0F1-417C-A4A3-4B4E90C12E9F.jpeg

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #24,618 of 39,419
Erlk rules. I will be spending some more time with the other two, but I just did another quick comparison yesterday and Erlk is 1, VE8 is 2 and Ely is 3. The Erlk matches the Ely in the mids, and has a far superior bass. The custom fit though, is pretty darn good. If you own the Erlk (as you do) you have the best. It hangs with headphones. I think it is a hallmark IEM.
What headphones are similar to the Erlk sound and quality

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #24,619 of 39,419
Sigh. Erlkonig remains perhaps my number one "fantasy" IEM (with the Thummim close behind).

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #24,620 of 39,419
Sigh. Erlkonig remains perhaps my number one "fantasy" IEM (with the Thummim close behind).
Perhaps you can convince @Barra to swing a VE CA tour :) Must be enough demand for one?

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #24,621 of 39,419
Perhaps you can convince @Barra to swing a VE CA tour :) Must be enough demand for one?

A CA tour would be lovely...our numbers could be better though to be honest. We have way more space than people up here in the north.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #24,622 of 39,419
All of the praise for Erlkonig and to think I have been considering selling mine
Have you listened to it since you got it? :upside_down:

Is there something you don't like about its sound?

What kind of music do you listen to, and what kind of sound signature do you look for in your iem/hp?

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #24,623 of 39,419
Have you listened to it since you got it? :upside_down:

Is there something you don't like about its sound?

What kind of music do you listen to, and what kind of sound signature do you look for in your iem/hp?
Of course man. There is nothing I don't like about it. I review dude so I have to look isten to all genres. It is an incredible IEM, it could be possible I need cash.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #24,624 of 39,419
...no offense meant, dude.

if there is something about it you don't like, i am genuinely curious what it is. i always like to know how people's perspectives differ from mine.

no need to explain needing money, that's something we can all relate to.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #24,625 of 39,419
...no offense meant, dude.

if there is something about it you don't like, i am genuinely curious what it is. i always like to know how people's perspectives differ from mine.

no need to explain needing money, that's something we can all relate to.
No offense taken...

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #24,626 of 39,419
Don’t keep us waiting for too long for that comparison though :smile:

I agree the Erlky is one of the best IEMs out there. For me personally though, I’ve recently discovered a setup that edges out the Erlky. My trusty old LCDi4 with cipher cable paired with R8 out of USB-C port (using the Anker USB-C to lightning adapter) gives me the best portable audio experience ever. I know that its open back nature and zero isolation limit its use case, but in a quiet room, it’s just sublime. I’ll just say that the Erlk is a close second to i4.
I have tried the Lcdi4 and liked the Erlk better. With the Cayin N8 using the 4.4mm SS output it is awesome! I did like the i4 when I heard it via the Hugo 2. Certainly top notch.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #24,627 of 39,419
What headphones are similar to the Erlk sound and quality
I have to do much more listening for detailed comparisons. However, I am currently listening to the Meze Empyrean. It is a great sounding headphone with the Hugo 2 ( and also the N8 and I am also told it will work with an iPhone and Dragonfly but I have not tried that yet). Now the Empy needs to break in, but it does sound very good and the ERLK is right there with it. I would probably have to say the the Empyrean hits harder with more impact in the bass in a very short comparison, but it was close. In the mids and highs they were also close. I liked some jazz equally on both. On some classical they were also close, though the Empy was a little better if the music was congested. The Empy is known for being very comfortable, but as an IEM, the Erlk is more comfortable to me. Please do not take this as one of my reviews yet. I only did a few short comparisons to get my bearings a bit. Nothing set in stone yet, but they seem to definitely be playing on the same field in this off the cuff quick comparison.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #24,628 of 39,419
I feel you buddy!

and yeah, I hope there’d be more people to join here up north. I’ll ask my friends if they’re interested in joining the tours.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #24,629 of 39,419
I have tried the Lcdi4 and liked the Erlk better. With the Cayin N8 using the 4.4mm SS output it is awesome! I did like the i4 when I heard it via the Hugo 2. Certainly top notch.

Yeah it needs EQ if not using cipher cable to sound right. Without EQ or cipher cable, it’s one of the worst in terms of tonality. When done right, the planar driver does sound extremely good. That planar bass is to die for, not even Z1R can come close.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #24,630 of 39,419
Yeah it needs EQ if not using cipher cable to sound right. Without EQ or cipher cable, it’s one of the worst in terms of tonality. When done right, the planar driver does sound extremely good. That planar bass is to die for, not even Z1R can come close.
Agreed. Although I do wonder why they didn't just tune it like that in the first place. But it's a very underwhelming IEM without the cipher and sounds unrelated to itself once you add that cable.
When you add in the fact that it's very much geared towards iOS, it's absolutely a product I'd never consider buying, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's formidable when set up in this manner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back