flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #24,586 of 39,414
I still have my V1 Universal Layla(Got them when they were released) and I still give it some love from time to time, and they work really well with rock music.
but after getting the FitEar Monet17, it’s been my go to for rock/anime music. (Suyama-san really knows how make great IEMs without going ham on driver count)

The Layla was definitely the top back in 2015 but there are just way “better” alternatives out there.
Agreed. Layla, Lola and Roxanne and Angie all work well with Rock music. Layla is a little dry. It just doesn't excite and can be a little reference, unless you turn up the bass to 2:00. It is not bad, just dry

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #24,587 of 39,414
Agreed. Layla, Lola and Roxanne and Angie all work well with Rock music. Layla is a little dry. It just doesn't excite and can be a little reference, unless you turn up the bass to 2:00. It is not bad, just dry
I agree!

I usually use it when I’m mixing and it works great.
I still wanna try the Lola though. It’s been on my radar since it was announced but unfortunately I don’t know anyone or anywhere that has one in my area to try out.

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #24,589 of 39,414
They’re one of the few companies that still make their CIEMs “old-school”, with molds. The UIEMs are 3D printed though. I guess they can’t use .stl files though.

Quite the contrary, actually. They're one of few companies in the industry that incorporate full-on, CNC-machining into their process, which is how they get their stunning-looking and incredibly-durable shells; wood, wood-resin hybrids, carbon fibre, etc. As @kubig123 said, they do accept STL files. Both my Lola and Layla were made that way. And, because the pandemic's made getting impressions much tougher, they also offer a service where - in lieu of silicone ear moulds - they can scan one of your perfect-fitting CIEMs instead and replicate that fit when they make your order. It was something they offered back when they had their 20-25% sale, so I'm not 100% sure whether or not it's still available. But, they haven't said it isn't, so I'm gonna assume it is.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #24,590 of 39,414
True, but even at 2:00 the bass is no where near the quality of the Erlk. It is literally night and day. Had I had the Erlk first, there is no way I would have moved in the Layla. Mind you I do not hate the Layla. Still a good sound. But better exists.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #24,591 of 39,414
True, but even at 2:00 the bass is no where near the quality of the Erlk. It is literally night and day. Had I had the Erlk first, there is no way I would have moved in the Layla. Mind you I do not hate the Layla. Still a good sound. But better exists.
I should add one clarification though. They seem to be the best IEM at keeping all sounds separate. You can easily zero in on a particular aspect or instrument which I would imagine makes them good for performers. And their new cable connection is probably the best around.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #24,592 of 39,414
Funny you should ask. They just announced a collaboration UIEM with L-Acoustics on IG 5 minutes ago. :D

C6CED37F-A6E3-4C68-9435-CD2046C6E210.jpeg

‘No news/teases from their CIEM front, unfortunately. I wonder what ever happened to that Janis tri-brid they were gonna launch a couple years back.
very interesting, is there a thread for this iem or some kind of feedback on it

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #24,596 of 39,414
Oh man JH audio
I still have nightmares of how long the nozzles are with the V1 Layla.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #24,598 of 39,414
I should add one clarification though. They seem to be the best IEM at keeping all sounds separate. You can easily zero in on a particular aspect or instrument which I would imagine makes them good for performers. And their new cable connection is probably the best around.

Agreed. I’ve often mentioned that the reception towards their house sound is typically mixed, but JH’s achievements in stage expansion, stereo spread, layering and resolution are pretty undeniable. The Layla is still the finest in-ear I have when it comes to leveling mixes.

very interesting, is there a thread for this iem or some kind of feedback on it

Not yet. It was just announced, after all. I do have to correct my initial post, though. It looks like there’s going to be a custom version available alongside the universal as well, which makes it pretty tempting, I must say. :D

I wonder what JH `reference` sounds like? 4-2-4 tuning, where would it lean towards?

JH’s reference would probably be the Layla. I’m assuming L-Acoustics had more say in determining the Contour’s final frequency response, which is why I’m really curious to hear how it sounds. If someone were to use JH’s technology to realize their own sound, what would that be like? Which of JH’s hallmark traits would stay because of their tech? It’d make a pretty interesting test case.

The only other JH in-ear with a 10-driver config would be the Angie and JH16v2. The former is a 2-4-4, rather than a 4-2-4, while I believe the 16v2 is a 4-2-4 just like the Contour. But, as you know, you can’t really gleam much - if anything - at all from just the driver count. So, we’ll have to wait ‘til demos/reviews come out to get a better idea of what it sounds like.

Could be a strong v-shape

Although it’s not out of the realm of possibilities, I honestly wouldn’t put too much money on that. I don’t think you could assume a signature just from the driver count. There are way too many variables at play. Again, it’s definitely, definitely possible, but I don’t think you can assume so just based on a specs sheet.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #24,599 of 39,414
Although it’s not out of the realm of possibilities, I honestly wouldn’t put too much money on that. I don’t think you could assume a signature just from the driver count. There are way too many variables at play. Again, it’s definitely, definitely possible, but I don’t think you can assume so just based on a specs sheet.
Yea definitely hence I said could be. :p
There are way too many possibilities. To sum up the house sound of JH, laid-back midrange and dark sounding.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #24,600 of 39,414
I usually play with 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, but that's just my preference :)
23.png

@Deezel177 Thanks for answering. I see. Layla seems like their Primadonna. I've tried the red one, and it was pretty warm sounding. I feel JH has a very special bass tuning especially on their Layla. The stage size was also remarkable. It felt big, and well-spread surrounding. Kind of intimate, yet not too close.

Will have to try once the demo is out :)

@audio123 I see. I thought so too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back