flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #23,491 of 39,414
... The ERLK tames this while keeping everything accurate. This is no easy feat. As I have said before I would characterize it as Neutral leaning Romantic. This provides quite possibly the most beautiful timbre of any IEM If This Is Your Preference. Those last few words were key.

"Neutral leaning Romantic"

Like.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #23,492 of 39,414
Wait until next week when you know what will be announced. And then you will know exactly why I quoted your post :wink:
I agree... patience

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #23,493 of 39,414
So when I first heard the Erlkonig on Barra's tour, I thought it was very good but I wasn't exactly taken away by it like I was with the Elysium upon first listen. I sort of feel in Crin's statements this may be where is was headed with that. The thing with the Erlkonig is that it is just a really good all BA IEM, right? It doesn't have that estat treble that the Ely brings, or even those DD mids, but what it does bring is an insanely coherent tuning with gobs of musicality and resolution all in one package. It's not something to me that just pops out at you when you first listen, but more so something you start to appreciate as you spend time with it. After some time and just sitting back and listening it starts to show its magic and just how impressive of an IEM it really is, which is where I feel upon short listening periods you will miss. To this day I haven't heard an IEM that really presents music the way the Erlkonig does. I'd argue the M5 has "better" (DD) bass, the Elysium mids are more textured, and the A18s has that beautiful smooth but super extended and airy treble. But each of those IEMs to me has some sort of "flaw" whereas I borderline consider the Erlk to be perfect for my listening tastes and the enjoyment I want from music. The total package is just incredible and the amount of details it presents in music while still being highly musical is just something I feel has to be heard to appreciate.

I also use setting #2 almost exclusively and to me it's good enough that I rarely touch my custom FiR M5 or A18s, and my universal Elysium may as well be sold.

What the Erlkonig brings is the best of the best indulgence. The sound is clearly some of the best BA tuning available. The entire package is top tier. It is not a far out tuning, it is like the best missionary sex you have ever had, but it isn't going make you perform the tantra. Crin gets paid for the links on his site, so his negative style of quick listen sells to the uninformed, nothing to see here move along.

Set the tuning dial to your desired, preferred tuning or change it for each genre, the choice is yours, but enjoy some of the safest, BA tuning available. The bass is superbly textured and gutteral. The treble is safe smooth and extends details, without offending. The mids are one of the best, and VE has the mids game down, EVE, VE8 all superb.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I own the Erlkonig and listen all I want, not for a quickie and then write my cool comments and move on leaving destruction in my wake.. Another case of nothing to see here, move along. Enjoy your music...that's why we are all here anyway.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #23,494 of 39,414
What the Erlkonig brings is the best of the best indulgence. The sound is clearly some of the best BA tuning available. The entire package is top tier. It is not a far out tuning, it is like the best missionary sex you have ever had, but it isn't going make you perform the tantra. Crin gets paid for the links on his site, so his negative style of quick listen sells to the uninformed, nothing to see here move along.

Set the tuning dial to your desired, preferred tuning or change it for each genre, the choice is yours, but enjoy some of the safest, BA tuning available. The bass is superbly textured and gutteral. The treble is safe smooth and extends details, without offending. The mids are one of the best, and VE has the mids game down, EVE, VE8 all superb.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I own the Erlkonig and listen all I want, not for a quickie and then write my cool comments and move on leaving destruction in my wake.. Another case of nothing to see here, move along. Enjoy your music...that's why we are all here anyway.
You gotta love this forum!

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #23,495 of 39,414

I did not think you had it in you to write such an articulate spicy post. I could expand on my Sultan review and turn this post into a review for you if you would like. “The Missionary vs. the Pole Dancer” review!

And now to get extremely cheesy: I do wonder who will come out on top!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #23,497 of 39,414
Erl on bottom, always, due to her weight.
I have noticed in your My Space front page you have had a Concha droop ever since Erl entered your life!

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #23,499 of 39,414
There was a thread on Reddit today about Headphone related pickup lines...must be something in the air.

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #23,500 of 39,414
One thing I noticed on hyper premium threads like this one: most posters are good writers. And every writer was an avid reader first. One’s reading leading to buying and eventual usage leading to writing that in turn goes on to create fresh readings and buying by others. Languages (or arts) sure can drive commerce. Especially in product segments that are more about experience than specs. Emotional purchases driven by articulate peers and, more often than not, each buy actually being worth all the talk. Those who can’t read and write are luckier than the well-schooled in a way. Ignorance is a bliss. My sincere condolences are reserved for those who are well-schooled, well-heeled and logged into HeadFi. :) Could we treat these as ‘art-related investments’ and claim tax exemptions, at least?

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #23,501 of 39,414
damn...that puppers is amazing!

we want at least one photo update a week, @Wyville.
Haha! I will try to give regular pupdates. He is a debt I owed my wife for my Phantom, so technically it is on topic. :grin:
more photos @Wyville , puppy is A D O R A B L E
All the puppies there are really cute. This is his brother:
IMG_1449.JPG

...and then there is a litter of these super cute puppies (4 weeks old now, I believe):
IMG_1479.JPG

Cheap trick to get so many likes by posting such a cute puppy there, @Wyville! :joy:
It will work on me every single time! That thing is just too damn cute!
How do you think I got all these likes... I know crap all about audio, so I just bribe people's likes with great big puppy eyes. :sweat_smile:

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #23,502 of 39,414
Haha! I will try to give regular pupdates. He is a debt I owed my wife for my Phantom, so technically it is on topic. :grin:

All the puppies there are really cute. This is his brother:

...and then there is a litter of these super cute puppies (4 weeks old now, I believe):

How do you think I got all these likes... I know crap all about audio, so I just bribe people's likes with great big puppy eyes. :sweat_smile:
Speaking of Phantoms, your love of it got me to seek one out... I have that EA LE Phantom arriving next week!

does that mean I have to get another dog too? Sign me up :D

oh and @twister6, I borderline hate you for it, but you predicted that Erl sale... maybe you are secretly working with @doctorjuggles?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #23,503 of 39,414

Haha. I liked the above post and you’ll never know if it was because of this quote or because if the extra puppy pics! :wink:

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #23,504 of 39,414
Speaking of Phantoms, your love of it got me to seek one out... I have that EA LE Phantom arriving next week!

does that mean I have to get another dog too? Sign me up :D

oh and @twister6, I borderline hate you for it, but you predicted that Erl sale... maybe you are secretly working with @doctorjuggles?

@mvvRAZ is selling another one of his high-end IEMs. In other news: Water is wet. :p

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #23,505 of 39,414
Crin gets paid for the links on his site, so his negative style of quick listen sells to the uninformed, nothing to see here move along.

I'm going to re-quote one of the most tone-deaf comments I've seen on Head-Fi:

As you have seen me rant against all of the ever popular short listen impressions, no credibility. On New Years I wrote a rant about just this on Audio Rabbit Hole. Listening on noisy CanJam floors, headphone shops and quick listens. Take an IEM like Legend X, you will only hear what you have been told, not the nuances.

And I'll repeat what I've said in response:

How dare people give their opinions on products they've tried, only people who get review units are allowed to write reviews

If you want a monopoly over the reviewing industry, at least be subtle about it. Some of us get blacklisted for giving our honest opinions, so shop demo units are our only avenue to try the stuff we want to. I don't see any reason to vilify this.

I'm not going to sit back while you drag my name into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back