flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #23,461 of 39,414
It’s a different kind of reference imo, yes. i think if the COVID saga extends for a while longer we might just see it as a universal

I'm not sure if I am interpreting the comment correctly, but audiologists in my area, at least (SF Bay Area) are open and making ear impressions. So people can still arrange for custom IEMs.

Doug Greenberg

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #23,462 of 39,414
Since JH gives 20% discount at shows, and sometime more, I think you should request a 30% discount if you desire a JHAudio IEM. Seems fair as they do not recommend repairing one of their custom IEM’s. Even if they say no, they might sweeten the deal a bit since it sounds like they want to keep you in one of their IEMs.

The Dunu Luna is probably better and I know it works great with EDM. If you want to audition it first to make sure contact Musicteck.com and speak with Andrew. It is very tip sensitive so might be good to check out first. If you wish, private message me to discuss further.

Thank you. And here I thought JH was being so nice to me :). They are sending a pair of Roxannes for me to try out, and if I want to get them they can make customs from my existing 16 Pros, as they do still fit, my ear didn't change in ten years. So at least I don't have to pay the $100+ for new impressions and shipping to Florida. I mentioned to them that at my advanced age I really cannot usefully hear frequencies above about 7.5k, sigh, and they said that there are a lot of old rockers who buy their customs and they tune them to compensate somewhat for the hearing loss. I think this might get me a bit higher in the frequencies, not much, but it will make the 6-7.5K range more audible, mostly. That's something to consider.

Having just spent the $1300 on the UM MEST and another $600 on an ifi micro idsd black label (an excellent purchase, if I do say so myself), I am in no big hurry to go the next step, but up to $2000 sans tax is probably my budget for the next "investment." I will be selling some photo gear I no longer use to partly finance these transactions.

Doug Greenberg

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #23,463 of 39,414
reading the following review, i guess i am fine with my custom Zeus XR (which cost me 30% of the erlky price.....)

In my eyes the Erlkonig is nothing more than a statement piece, something to show off the depth of your wallet rather than any tangible concept of audiophile progress. It is definitely good, though "good" is more an insult than praise given its expected status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/inearfidelity/comments/a8lk0v/vision_ears_erlkonig/

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #23,464 of 39,414
reading the following review, i guess i am fine with my custom Zeus XR (which cost me 30% of the erlky price.....)

In my eyes the Erlkonig is nothing more than a statement piece, something to show off the depth of your wallet rather than any tangible concept of audiophile progress. It is definitely good, though "good" is more an insult than praise given its expected status.

That's just one guy's opinion (and one that seems vastly out of step with that of most other people I know who have heard the thing). That said the Erlky could be unquestionably the greatest IEM on the planet and that fact should not at all diminish your satisfaction with the Zeus (assuming you were satisfied with it before). If one needs to know their IEM is the best to be satisfied they will never be satisfied for long (if at all).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #23,465 of 39,414

If we are using Crin’s words as a comparison then let’s not disregard his “S-“ status of the erlkonig and “B=” for the Zeus XIV.

I heard the Zeus back in 2017 and got close to buying one but held off because of the bass response, but in my as unbiased as can be opinion, it doesn’t even come close to the erlkonig in overall sound.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #23,466 of 39,414
oh...snap.

sorry, pro...you're talkin' smack about the erlky...

:upside_down:

seriously though...try some other stuff besides the zeus. the a18t was invincible until i heard the erlky...

...now it's gone.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #23,467 of 39,414
when i get some money from a rich uncle or sth i may try some new(er) stuff , but like i said buying a custom XR for 30% of the erlky price , really spoils you :wink:

(and i am sure that zeus is probably somewhere around 80-90% than 30% in SQ compared to erlky...)

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #23,468 of 39,414
when i get some money from a rich uncle or sth i may try some new(er) stuff , but like i said buying a custom XR for 30% of the erlky price , really spoils you :wink:

(and i am sure that zeus is probably somewhere around 80-90% than 30% in SQ compared to erlky...)

At the end of the day it’s your ears and your satisfaction that matters the most. I highly recommend demo’ing some newer stuff though, I think you’ll enjoy a lot of IEMs out there.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #23,469 of 39,414
At the end of the day it’s your ears and your satisfaction that matters the most. I highly recommend demo’ing some newer stuff though, I think you’ll enjoy a lot of IEMs out there.

well , i am a man of sanity , trying out stuff that i can not afford is a pandora's box that i don't want to open :wink:

like i said, if/when a rich uncle dies or sth like that happens , then yeah sure :xf_cool:

for now i remain content and grateful for my Zeus XR + 1960s 2wire (which corrects those anemic lows issues....)

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #23,470 of 39,414
to get ultra serious for a minute...

why are you attempting to judge something you haven't heard? the only person missing out...is you. Your ears deserve a chance to try new stuff out! : )

and like @Rockwell75 said, what one guy says (whose opinion, as rockwell mentioned, is completely incongruent to virtually everyone else's perspective,) should have no bearing on your enjoyment of...literally anything.

i won't tell you the zeus isn't good, nor will i tell you not to enjoy it...i've never even heard it.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #23,471 of 39,414
well , i am a man of sanity , trying out stuff that i can not afford is a pandora's box that i don't want to open :wink:

like i said, if/when a rich uncle dies or sth like that happens , then yeah sure :xf_cool:

for now i remain content and grateful for my Zeus XR + 1960s 2wire (which corrects those anemic lows issues....)

I’m not sure sanity and buying a $1000 copper wire to fix bass response go hand in hand :p I’m glad you’re content though. It’s a good feeling to have in a hobby that’s an endless rabbit hole.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #23,472 of 39,414

I understand what you mean. I've adopted the attitude that there is a price point beyond which I am just unable to go and so I don't even consider (for myself) IEMs like the Erlky or the Thummim as possibilities and having accepted that I am content to admire them from afar without getting in the way of enjoying my own gear (much like being able love the Shelby Cobra that was parked on my street last week without thinking any less of my own wheels because of it).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #23,473 of 39,414
to get ultra serious for a minute...

why are you attempting to judge something you haven't heard? the only person missing out...is you. Your ears deserve a chance to try new stuff out! : )

and like @Rockwell75 said, what one guy says (whose opinion, as rockwell mentioned, is completely incongruent to virtually everyone else's perspective,) should have no bearing on your enjoyment of...literally anything.

i won't tell you the zeus isn't good, nor will i tell you not to enjoy it...i've never even heard it.
at the risk of wading into waters I really don't want to spend a lot of time in, I would characterize what he's doing as 'confirmation bias.' nothing more, nothing less.
and - to be clear - i'm not judging. it is what it is. but it's pretty clear to me, based on this post and dozens of others, that this is what's happening...

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #23,474 of 39,414
Current loves:
6901C4C9-3077-4F18-9D2F-78508CC9C661.jpeg

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #23,475 of 39,414
at the risk of wading into waters I really don't want to spend a lot of time in, I would characterize what he's doing as 'confirmation bias.' nothing more, nothing less.
and - to be clear - i'm not judging. it is what it is. but it's pretty clear to me, based on this post and dozens of others, that this is what's happening...

even though my post was posed as a question, it was mostly rhetorical and for the purpose of making a point.

the smiley face should also make clear that i'm mostly just trying to help @proedros discover new stuff he might like.

🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back