flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #23,431 of 39,414
I'm loving the PAW 6K so far. I would like to learn how to use its PMEQ though, as I've never had experience with one before. Are there any tutorials/online instructions that would help me figure it out? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #23,432 of 39,414
I'm loving the PAW 6K so far. I would like to learn how to use its PMEQ though, as I've never had experience with one before. Are there any tutorials/online instructions that would help me figure it out? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Lotoo's PMEQ has three primary filters: Low-Shelf Filter (LSF), High-Pass Filter (HPF) and Band-Pass Filter (BPF).

A low-shelf filter slowly accentuates or attenuates everything below its set frequency point, and its primary function is as a bass control. So, if you set its F0 at 200Hz, it'll raise or reduce everything below 200Hz depending on the gain value you enter, before eventually returning to 0dB. Then, the Q value determines how steep the return to 0dB is. This is a great filter for broad, quick-and-dirty adjustments to the low-end.

A high-pass filter drastically cuts everything below its set frequency point, so it's primarily used to cut out the bass entirely. The gain setting doesn't really come into play here, because the HPF just automatically cuts everything to -∞. And, just like the LSF, the Q value is used to determine how steep the roll-off is.

The band-pass filter is probably the one you'd wanna use most, and it's definitely the most versatile. It lets you create a bump (or whatever the opposite of a bump is) anywhere throughout the frequency range. What you enter into F0 will be where the centre of that bump is. The gain obviously determines the amplitude of the bump, whether positive (accentuation) or negative (attenuation). Then, Q determines the bandwidth of that bump; 0,1 will give you a broad bump, and 1.0 will give you a narrower one. So, for example, if you wanted to raise 1-3kHz by about 2dB, you'd position F0 to be at about 1.5-2kHz, you'd set the gain at +3.0dB, then you'd set the Q value to be at about 0.5-0.7. And, if you wanted to make that rise broader so it'll affect the low-mids and low-treble too, you can reduce the Q value to 0.1 or 0.2.

But, at the end of the day, when in doubt, just look at the curve on your DAP. It should illustrate exactly what you're doing with the EQ fairly sufficiently.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #23,433 of 39,414
Lotoo's PMEQ has three primary filters: Low-Shelf Filter (LSF), High-Pass Filter (HPF) and Band-Pass Filter (BPF).

A low-shelf filter slowly accentuates or attenuates everything below its set frequency point, and its primary function is as a bass control. So, if you set its F0 at 200Hz, it'll raise or reduce everything below 200Hz depending on the gain value you enter, before eventually returning to 0dB. Then, the Q value determines how steep the return to 0dB is. This is a great filter for broad, quick-and-dirty adjustments to the low-end.

A high-pass filter drastically cuts everything below its set frequency point, so it's primarily used to cut out the bass entirely. The gain setting doesn't really come into play here, because the HPF just automatically cuts everything to -∞. And, just like the LSF, the Q value is used to determine how steep the roll-off is.

The band-pass filter is probably the one you'd wanna use most, and it's definitely the most versatile. It lets you create a bump (or whatever the opposite of a bump is) anywhere throughout the frequency range. What you enter into F0 will be where the centre of that bump is. The gain obviously determines the amplitude of the bump, whether positive (accentuation) or negative (attenuation). Then, Q determines the bandwidth of that bump; 0,1 will give you a broad bump, and 1.0 will give you a narrower one. So, for example, if you wanted to raise 1-3kHz by about 2dB, you'd position F0 to be at about 1.5-2kHz, you'd set the gain at +3.0dB, then you'd set the Q value to be at about 0.5-0.7. And, if you wanted to make that rise broader so it'll affect the low-mids and low-treble too, you can reduce the Q value to 0.1 or 0.2.

But, at the end of the day, when in doubt, just look at the curve on your DAP. It should illustrate exactly what you're doing with the EQ fairly sufficiently.

Thanks man this is great info!

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #23,434 of 39,414
I posted a few weeks ago about my "dying" JH Audio 16 Pros (old generation) and that I was considering new IEMs. I had sent my custom 16 Pros to Florida for their inspection. I got the bad news this morning. It would cost $425 to restore these to fully operational. I didn't think they were THAT impaired, but I guess so. Interestingly, the greatest repair cost is for both high drivers ($250.00) I had not even noticed the loss of high frequencies; this might well point to the reality that at my age (almost 70) I cannot hear high frequencies like I used to, no doubt about it. Some of the birds with high pitched songs, birds like Cedar Waxwing, Common Bushtit, and Cape May warbler, are almost inaudible now :frowning2:.

JH Audio's tech seems dubious about the merits of fixing IEM's this old, though they will do it I that's what I want. Alternatively, they will offer me a 25% discount on the new version of the JH16 Pros or 20% off on any other model. That, plus I would need to spend the $100+ to get new ear impressions made and sent to Florida.

For anyone willing to chime in (I understand not feeling like it), if you were me, what would you do? I did like the sound of the 16 Pros. Good bass, kind of darkish but not objectionably so, in my perception. What do people think of the new version of the 16 Pros? This would cost me $956.25. Worth more than twice as much as a repair? I had considered the Roxannes, but I gather they are superduper for bass but not all that great as overall music-listening IEMs. Am I wrong?

I did buy the Unique Melody MEST, which I like but I have decided that they are not suited to bass-heavy music, at least not for this basshead. So now, for serious bass music (EDM, minimal techno, drum 'n bass like Omni Trio, pop music with big basslines), I do want something else that is really good. I can pay for this out of the money I am not spending on overseas trips I had to cancel. I know people have recommended the DUNU Luna and the Sony IER-Z1R, as well as some others.

Or I could spend $425 on a repair and hope the old 16 pros will last a while longer before totally giving up the ghost. Thanks for any input.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #23,436 of 39,414
Jul 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #23,437 of 39,414
Wellll it has a name, but Eric told me he'd cut my cable supply if I disclose it too early... I'll be able to share more with you guys as of next week I believe, all I can say for now is that it's an awesome product with an even more awesome pricetag hahah :D
Nahhhhh Eric is trying to scare you. You're probably their VVIP of revenue at this point!

"Out for Delivery" has become one of my favorite phrases since getting into this hobby.
"Duties need to be paid" inversely is nowhere in that vernacular. N6ii vs P6K coming very soon?

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #23,438 of 39,414
. N6ii vs P6K coming very soon?

Yeah I'm hoping to do up an impressions post once I've had a few days with it. It's a great little device and I'm still in awe of the build quality and premium feel of the thing. Regarding vs. n6ii, in terms of sound quality-- it smokes the A01 board (which is interesting as the 6K uses a "lesser" AK DAC chip...goes to show the power of implementation). VS E01 it's a much much closer race...it may even be IEM specific...I could see some IEMs sounding better on the E01 than the P6K, but the latter's slightly blacker background and more reference tuning just happens to synergize very very well with my Solaris. The Sabre board of the E01 has a slight glare to it (that I never really noticed until I got the PAW S1) that gives Solaris a dash too much reverb on some tracks...it still sounds amazing but the jury for me at this point is leaning towards the P6K. Everything not relating to sound and the P6K eats the n6ii for breakfast. The two big selling features of the n6ii for me were Android and the swappable boards. Android has proven to be basically useless for me on a DAP and the cost of the new boards when they come out has proven to be prohibitively expensive. I contemplated getting the E02 but ultimately couldn't justify the cost. The PAW 6K is a superbly designed and streamlined device with a lot of thought put into it...it has made me a Lotoo fanboy.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #23,439 of 39,414
Yeah I'm hoping to do up an impressions post once I've had a few days with it. It's a great little device and I'm still in awe of the build quality and premium feel of the thing. Regarding vs. n6ii, in terms of sound quality-- it smokes the A01 board (which is interesting as the 6K uses a "lesser" AK DAC chip...goes to show the power of implementation). VS E01 it's a much much closer race...it may even be IEM specific...I could see some IEMs sounding better on the E01 than the P6K, but the latter's slightly blacker background and more reference tuning just happens to synergize very very well with my Solaris. The Sabre board of the E01 has a slight glare to it (that I never really noticed until I got the PAW S1) that gives Solaris a dash too much reverb on some tracks...it still sounds amazing but the jury for me at this point is leaning towards the P6K. Everything not relating to sound and the P6K eats the n6ii for breakfast. The two big selling features of the n6ii for me were Android and the swappable boards. Android has proven to be basically useless for me on a DAP and the cost of the new boards when they come out has proven to be prohibitively expensive. I contemplated getting the E02 but ultimately couldn't justify the cost. The PAW 6K is a superbly designed and streamlined device with a lot of thought put into it...it has made me a Lotoo fanboy.
Took a look at 6k based on your initial feedback, and for me it's a non-starter because it doesn't support streaming...all my listening is done via streaming (either via wifi or downloaded); different strokes for different folks, I guess! Glad you're enjoying it and still am very interested in your deeper impressions.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #23,440 of 39,414
Took a look at 6k based on your initial feedback, and for me it's a non-starter because it doesn't support streaming...all my listening is done via streaming (either via wifi or downloaded); different strokes for different folks, I guess! Glad you're enjoying it and still am very interested in your deeper impressions.

What do you use as a source? The PAW 6K can send/receive bluetooth so if I wanted I could stream from my phone to the P6K. Alternately I will probably keep my PAW S1 around to use for streaming from my phone and laptop. But yeah, the P6K isn't really optimized for streaming but it's a bit of a God-send for old fashioned folks like me who listen to mostly flacs.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #23,441 of 39,414
What do you use as a source? The PAW 6K can send/receive bluetooth so if I wanted I could stream from my phone to the P6K. Alternately I will probably keep my PAW S1 around to use for streaming from my phone and laptop. But yeah, the P6K isn't really optimized for streaming but it's a bit of a God-send for old fashioned folks like me who listen to mostly flacs.
I stream/download Tidal and Amazon HD through my DX227.
It's fun to follow this journey - thought you had settled in for awhile, and then BAM! S1 discovery-->6K and you probably feel like you (almost) have new IEMs. I was fascinated by your earlier comment about the Solaris now having near-U12-like detail retrieval.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #23,442 of 39,414
There are a number of established Chinese companies making excellent gear. Cayin and Lotoo being 2 of them (Fiio isn't quite there yet) that exceed one's expectations. Lotoo goes even further, their stuff fells well engineered and the software is robust, though cost of entry is quite high.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #23,443 of 39,414
I was fascinated by your earlier comment about the Solaris now having near-U12-like detail retrieval.

I should caveat that by mentioning that I haven't heard the u12t in a few months...but I am quite amazed at how many more micro-details and overall texture you get if that almost-imperceptible background hiss gets taken out of the equation. It could be the reference tuning of the PAW 6K/S1 as well...either way it's quite nice. Both Lotoo devices are incredibly clean sounding.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #23,444 of 39,414
There are a number of established Chinese companies making excellent gear. Cayin and Lotoo being 2 of them (Fiio isn't quite there yet) that exceed one's expectations. Lotoo goes even further, their stuff fells well engineered and the software is robust, though cost of entry is quite high.

I've used DAPs by A&K, Cayin, Hiby, Cowon, Fiio and Questyle. Some of them have been excellent, but there were always some concessions. With Lotoo it was the first time that the whole experience-- the unboxing, the user interface, the build and sound quality-- has felt premium from top to bottom for a mid-tier product. In that sense they are closer to Sony/Apple levels of quality/user experience than any of those other companies I mentioned.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #23,445 of 39,414
I posted a few weeks ago about my "dying" JH Audio 16 Pros (old generation) and that I was considering new IEMs. I had sent my custom 16 Pros to Florida for their inspection. I got the bad news this morning. It would cost $425 to restore these to fully operational. I didn't think they were THAT impaired, but I guess so. Interestingly, the greatest repair cost is for both high drivers ($250.00) I had not even noticed the loss of high frequencies; this might well point to the reality that at my age (almost 70) I cannot hear high frequencies like I used to, no doubt about it. Some of the birds with high pitched songs, birds like Cedar Waxwing, Common Bushtit, and Cape May warbler, are almost inaudible now :frowning2:.

JH Audio's tech seems dubious about the merits of fixing IEM's this old, though they will do it I that's what I want. Alternatively, they will offer me a 25% discount on the new version of the JH16 Pros or 20% off on any other model. That, plus I would need to spend the $100+ to get new ear impressions made and sent to Florida.

For anyone willing to chime in (I understand not feeling like it), if you were me, what would you do? I did like the sound of the 16 Pros. Good bass, kind of darkish but not objectionably so, in my perception. What do people think of the new version of the 16 Pros? This would cost me $956.25. Worth more than twice as much as a repair? I had considered the Roxannes, but I gather they are superduper for bass but not all that great as overall music-listening IEMs. Am I wrong?

I did buy the Unique Melody MEST, which I like but I have decided that they are not suited to bass-heavy music, at least not for this basshead. So now, for serious bass music (EDM, minimal techno, drum 'n bass like Omni Trio, pop music with big basslines), I do want something else that is really good. I can pay for this out of the money I am not spending on overseas trips I had to cancel. I know people have recommended the DUNU Luna and the Sony IER-Z1R, as well as some others.

Or I could spend $425 on a repair and hope the old 16 pros will last a while longer before totally giving up the ghost. Thanks for any input.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley
My thoughts would be as below.
Since JH gives 20% discount at shows, and sometime more, I think you should request a 30% discount if you desire a JHAudio IEM. Seems fair as they do not recommend repairing one of their custom IEM’s. Even if they say no, they might sweeten the deal a bit since it sounds like they want to keep you in one of their IEMs.

The Dunu Luna is probably better and I know it works great with EDM. If you want to audition it first to make sure contact Musicteck.com and speak with Andrew. It is very tip sensitive so might be good to check out first. If you wish, private message me to discuss further.

Let us know your price range as that will determine many recommendations for other IEMs. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back