flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #23,416 of 39,414
I'm rather late with my impressions of the GAudio Clariden, but as the saying goes - better late than never.

I received it as a part of a closed Audio Concierge tour and got to play around with it for a week or so before sending it off to the next guy.

Where sound is concerned, the GAudio Clariden does rather well, and especially so considering it's sub-800 euro price range. A lot of those mid-tier picks tend to do one frequency region really well and fail at almost every other, but the Clariden has a really good balance, where everything is on point.

It has decent bass, with reasonable control, but on certain tracks it does lack some air and freedom, giving it a slightly claustrophobic feel. The good news is that's probably the only issue I found with the IEM.

The midrange is really, really well textured, with decent clarity. I rather enjoyed how it performed most instruments as well as the vocals, as they had great body and warmth. Getting a well textured midrange is generally a rather expensive endeavour, as a very large portion of the audiophile market is focused on clarity and clarity alone, which irks me personally.

The treble does have a bit too much of a lower treble focus to me, and might be ever so slightly rolled off. It still sounds rather clean, and completely free of sibilance, but it isn't quite my preferred tuning.

The Clariden is also rather technical, especially at its price point, sporting a large soundstage with good depth and reasonable detail. As a result of the well executed soundstage you get great instrumental/vocal separation as well.

If you look up my description of the Anole VX you'll see a few similarities, and I guess that's why I also found the Clariden to be a little (or well, more than a little) boring. It doesn't do anything wrong, but continues to just lack identity on a certain level. At that specific price point, I'd still take an Andromeda (especially the 2020 version) over it any day of the week.

I'm also not a huge fan of the look or the cable (but that has more to do with my dislike for Satin Audio as opposed to an issue with GAudio).

All in all, I can't not recommend it, as it is a good all-rounder and really does nothing wrong, but I can't give it a glowing recommendation either.

Happy listening folks!
Nice! Never even heard of those. Always interesting to see something new come by.

Talking about Audio Concierge... Has Phil not tempted you yet?: https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/portfolio/qdc-blue-dragon-earphones/ :grin:

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #23,417 of 39,414
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #23,418 of 39,414
Nice! Never even heard of those. Always interesting to see something new come by.

Talking about Audio Concierge... Has Phil not tempted you yet?: https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/portfolio/qdc-blue-dragon-earphones/ :grin:
I really don’t like the Anole VX, so an Anole VX for 12 grand... yeah imma pass :D

I got Joseph at MMR to get some vantablack paint to see if he can make me a Thummim/CIEM with it but unfortunately with it being a water based paint it comes off super easily :frowning2:

Plenty of flair to be had with actually good stuff :D

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #23,419 of 39,414
I really don’t like the Anole VX, so an Anole VX for 12 grand... yeah imma pass :D

I got Joseph at MMR to get some vantablack paint to see if he can make me a Thummim/CIEM with it but unfortunately with it being a water based paint it comes off super easily :frowning2:

Couldn't they apply the paint internally (i.e. under the lacquer layer)? Guess that would negate the point if the lacquer was reflective but whatever sat underneath wasn't, but betting it would still look pretty unusual on the eye.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #23,420 of 39,414
Couldn't they apply the paint internally (i.e. under the lacquer layer)? Guess that would negate the point if the lacquer was reflective but whatever sat underneath wasn't, but betting it would still look pretty unusual on the eye.
That was my idea as well but when Joseph tried it he said it looks like any regular black paint. The transparent black would fit nicer, and he was luckily able to find me a copper sheet to laser into a mesh

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #23,421 of 39,414

Yeah, you never did like the VX. In some respects it is a bit opposite the Thummim so that makes sense. Good luck with that Black Paint! I think you would be better off with a baked on finish or maybe plate them in gold and silver. Do that and I will wear them for Christmas!😎

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #23,422 of 39,414
Yeah, you never did like the VX. In some respects it is a bit opposite the Thummim so that makes sense. Good luck with that Black Paint! I think you would be better off with a baked on finish or maybe plate them in gold and silver. Do that and I will wear them for Christmas!😎
Imma share photos of how the CIEM turns out!

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #23,423 of 39,414
@mvvRAZ - what's the " Eletech XXXXX " in your sig? Something you're still trying to decide on or something unnamed as yet? :wink:

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #23,424 of 39,414
@mvvRAZ - what's the " Eletech XXXXX " in your sig? Something you're still trying to decide on or something unnamed as yet? :wink:
Wellll it has a name, but Eric told me he'd cut my cable supply if I disclose it too early... I'll be able to share more with you guys as of next week I believe, all I can say for now is that it's an awesome product with an even more awesome pricetag hahah :D

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #23,425 of 39,414
Wellll it has a name, but Eric told me he'd cut my cable supply if I disclose it too early... I'll be able to share more with you guys as of next week I believe, all I can say for now is that it's an awesome product with an even more awesome pricetag hahah :D

Awesome pricetag for us or for Eletech? :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #23,426 of 39,414
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #23,427 of 39,414
"Out for Delivery" has become one of my favorite phrases since getting into this hobby.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #23,428 of 39,414
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #23,429 of 39,414
ha! I take it your 6k is coming today?

Surprisingly, yes. I ordered it from Musicteck on Monday, delivery estimate was Friday and I got a notification that it will be in my hands today. Suffice to say, I'm stoked :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #23,430 of 39,414
Surprisingly, yes. I ordered it from Musicteck on Monday, delivery estimate was Friday and I got a notification that it will be in my hands today. Suffice to say, I'm stoked :)
Great, enjoy! Look forward to your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back